Thoughts on what could happen with Dak

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
More I ponder this, I look at Tom Brady and how he was the ultimate team guy and signed team friendly deals with NE so they could build a winner. Now compare that to Dak..a great dude on and off the field, but the 1 difference is, his agent and his own agenda. He wants to explore his options after 2020,CLEARLY. Where does that leave Dallas and the fans,his team mates? How do you think his team mates will look at him NOW? My guess is it will be alot of mixed emotions. I think what will happen is Dak may find himself traded while on the tag by this years trade deadline, just out of fear that we lose him and get absolutely nothing after the season. ITS JUST GOOD BUSINESS. I may be very wrong on this. Thoughts? BTW sorry for another Dak thread lol..i FEEL THIS TOPIC OF TRADING HIM IS RELEVANT NOW,MUCH MORE THAN EVER. Its back on the table as far as I'm concerned. I'm guessing Jerrys ego,stephens ego won't put up with much more of this.

Everyone falls short when compared to Brady.

However, the contract situation is very troubling from a leadership and priorities standpoint with Dak.

Trading Dak is a must if we cant get him signed next offseason. However like everything else, no one can predict what Jerry will do.

But my gut tells me that this will all work out long term. After bumbling it all this year hopefully they will get together and draw something up they can both live with.

I do like that the Cowboys are playing hardball. And the silver lining could be that Jerry is now forced to start drafting and developing young QB's immediately. He should always be doing it.

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
If the Cowboys had simply used the non-exclusive franchise tag, the team might be heading into next year's draft with three first round picks. That's only nine months away.

Essentially, the team may have given up two first round picks, in return for a single (compromised) season from Dak.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Jerry doesnt really cut losses.

He would sooner hope that he could win a Super Bowl with Prescott either this year or next.

He will either be signed long term or gone for nothing after 2021.

Hope is a big part of planning with those two

I have to agree. I think Dak is probably here at least the next two years and we possibly watch him walk for nothing.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I always here that but c’mon, some people act like Brady would be in the poor house if it weren’t for Gisele. I’m sure the hundreds of millions he’s worth on his own was still more than enough for him to take a team friendly deal.

Brady is all about winning, he’s an absolute competitor, there’s no doubt in my mind that he would have still taken a pay cut (with or without Gisele) if he truly thought that it would give them a legitimate shot at another championship. I don’t think he would enjoy playing football if it meant making more money but going out there and playing with a bunch of scrubs.
The point being is that Tom wasnt going to ever be hurting for cash,, what a great deal for Bill and the Patriots, a talent like Tom that was negotiable.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I've already had a friend who is a NE fan that is already talking about NE signing Dak next season. I hate the drama of the Cowboys sometimes. Jerry looks as this stuff as a positive I believe. Personally I think it's distracting to the team.

That would be the perfect landing spot for Dak. But would Belli pay the huge salary?

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
At some point you have to look at Stephen Jones's last min deadline crap. Think about it......Dez deal was done just hours before the deadline, DLaw played one year on the tag one and still had to fight for his deal. Yes, he got Collins and Jaylon Smith signed but only with team-friendly deals. You can see his pattern unless players are willing to sign team-friendly deals, he's going to make them fight for every penny right to the wire. Just me and I've said this before, no way this is all on Dak w/o some blame from FO/Stephen.

aria

Reaction score
The point being is that Tom wasnt going to ever be hurting for cash,, what a great deal for Bill and the Patriots, a talent like Tom that was negotiable.
I get it but say Dak, or whoever took 90 mil instead of 100 or 20 mil instead of 25...none of them are hurting for cash.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Of course, the other thing that can happen is that the NFL doesn't play this year and the Cowboys don't see the Franchise Tag hit until 2021. That too could happen.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
That would be the perfect landing spot for Dak. But would Belli pay the huge salary?

Let's reverse it.......would Dak ask for a huge salary. He may want similar money. But who's to say he won't give the Pats a friendly deal he had no intention of giving the Cowboys coz they pxxed him off. It certainly happened with Cousins.....he refused to even consider any Commanders offer.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Let's reverse it.......would Dak ask for a huge salary. He may want similar money. But who's to say he won't give the Pats a friendly deal he had no intention of giving the Cowboys coz they pxxed him off. It certainly happened with Cousins.....he refused to even consider any Commanders offer.

Well, if you reverse that, then you have to say that France and CAA are no longer representing because A. CAA doesn't do those kinds of deals. It hurts their brand. They want to land the biggest contract and then use that to pick up other Clients. B. The Pats will not sign a player that is represented by CAA, I'm betting. They just don't do that stuff.

So if you are going to do that to sign with the Pats, then why not just do that with the Cowboys and stay in Dallas, where he can make much more money off the field?

csirl

Reaction score
To answer the OP.

He loses the starting job by mid season. Is reunited with his biggest fan - Garrett - in NY next season (as a backup). Drifts around the league for a couple of years and then plays a couple of years in the CFL before drifting off the radar altogether.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
depends on what happens this year if their is no season and the cap is flat next year ne may move on to another team but i think they will tag him one more time if he does but i dont think next time he signs the tag

Rayman70

Reaction score
Jerry and Stephen think THEY are the straw that stirs the drink when it comes to negotiating. Shows how delusional they are and egotistical. Time and time again, bungling things like this over and over and expecting a different outcome. INSANITY.

Jfconrow

Reaction score
I think it could go a few ways.

Dak jives with the new offense and Coach then signs a new deal next year with Dallas

Dak plays on the tag and protects himself, thinking all he’s got to do is stay safe. Don’t see Him running any more of those read options

After the tag next year Dallas’ offer goes down, no tag is offered, and Dak walks. In this one I hope he would do well with another team, but going to NE or one of those outdoor stadiums it might be tough for him (his arm strength is the question here). I could see Dak going to New Orleans to take over for brees. I think Dak would play well in the right situation...maybe in Indy or even the 49ers to compete with Garapolo.

*After writing this I talked myself into thinking Dak wants to go somewhere and win (with an indoor stadium): New Orleans, Indy, 49ers. He should have no problem getting $100m guaranteed for 4 years somewhere else + the $30m on the tag this year...so there’s no way he would sign for only 100m guaranteed with Dallas, that’s a joke offer.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Was expecting JJ to fold. But he didn’t.
THATS RIGHT. ALSO, this waiting til the last hour stuff has to end at some point lol. Running out of time is BS. I do not buy it.They had 2 years!! Dak had 2 years! To get this thing done. SOMEBODY IS LYING AND I THINK ITS ALL OF THEM,ON ALL SIDES. THEY ALL BUNGLED IT.