CFZ Thoughts/Opinions about last night's game!

Cowboyny

Reaction score
First it sucks to lose Overshown, but that is apart of this game. Next man up and hope Overshown has a speedy recovery. Is it time to sign a veteran?

Offense

-Rush may not look flashy nor have a strong arm, but he is always calm under pressure. Grier is the exact opposite, always panics inside the pocket and makes throws on the run. Really liked how MM called that scoring drive mixing it up.
-Tremendous game from Tolbert, he is looking like that player we thought we drafted last season. Turpin continues to also make an impact, believe both are roster locks.
-Once again the TE group flashed. That drive after half was all about the tight ends. Think we keep 4 with the 5th on the PS.
-Thought they ran the ball well early on, then Seattle adjusted. Clearly Dowdle is ahead of Davis. Vaughn was pretty bottled up. Luek, is probably fighting more for a PS spot at this juncture.
-Backup OL had it's struggles again. Walesco got destroyed by Mafe, a player many of us on the draft site really liked two years ago. After two games, it appears that Richards has played better and he was playing Guard all camp. Backup Tackle and Center are a concern, as I thought Farnoik had his struggles as well.

Defense

-I know many are already calling Mazi a bust, it's way too early to make that assessment. Most of us on the draft thread, thought Mazi was more of a day 2 prospect who needed development. Michigan asked him to just take on blockers and not rush the passer. He gets in trouble with being so slow after the snap and tends to play too high at times, these issues are correctable, but development takes time.
-Sam Williams with a nice sack, but once again 15 yard penalty. Land had a sack, don't think they can hid him onto the ps.
-Not sure who they keep out of Gallimore/Golston/Bohanna-none of the three have stood out.
-I don't know what to think of Jabril Cox, not that physical at the point of attack, slow reacting. Think Bell is better in that Kearse type of role, especially against the run.
-Whole secondary really struggled, Thomas with a terrible penalty that ultimately led to a TD. Scott continues to struggle and is not even guaranteed a roster spot any longer. Actually thought Joseph was the best last night, although he stills grabs way too much. Backup DB is a need.

Special Teams

-Go figure the special teams had a terrible night and it wasn't our place kicker. Gave up a big punt return and had a punt blocked.

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
Really disappointing about Waletzko after the hype in training camp. He will be here because they need a body but they really need like 3 or so new Olinemen next year.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
First it sucks to lose Overshown, but that is apart of this game. Next man up and hope Overshown has a speedy recovery. Is it time to sign a veteran?

Offense

-Rush may not look flashy nor have a strong arm, but he is always calm under pressure. Grier is the exact opposite, always panics inside the pocket and makes throws on the run. Really liked how MM called that scoring drive mixing it up.
-Tremendous game from Tolbert, he is looking like that player we thought we drafted last season. Turpin continues to also make an impact, believe both are roster locks.
-Once again the TE group flashed. That drive after half was all about the tight ends. Think we keep 4 with the 5th on the PS.
-Thought they ran the ball well early on, then Seattle adjusted. Clearly Dowdle is ahead of Davis. Vaughn was pretty bottled up. Luek, is probably fighting more for a PS spot at this juncture.
-Backup OL had it's struggles again. Walesco got destroyed by Mafe, a player many of us on the draft site really liked two years ago. After two games, it appears that Richards has played better and he was playing Guard all camp. Backup Tackle and Center are a concern, as I thought Farnoik had his struggles as well.

Defense

-I know many are already calling Mazi a bust, it's way too early to make that assessment. Most of us on the draft thread, thought Mazi was more of a day 2 prospect who needed development. Michigan asked him to just take on blockers and not rush the passer. He gets in trouble with being so slow after the snap and tends to play too high at times, these issues are correctable, but development takes time.
-Sam Williams with a nice sack, but once again 15 yard penalty. Land had a sack, don't think they can hid him onto the ps.
-Not sure who they keep out of Gallimore/Golston/Bohanna-none of the three have stood out.
-I don't know what to think of Jabril Cox, not that physical at the point of attack, slow reacting. Think Bell is better in that Kearse type of role, especially against the run.
-Whole secondary really struggled, Thomas with a terrible penalty that ultimately led to a TD. Scott continues to struggle and is not even guaranteed a roster spot any longer. Actually thought Joseph was the best last night, although he stills grabs way too much. Backup DB is a need.

Special Teams

-Go figure the special teams had a terrible night and it wasn't our place kicker. Gave up a big punt return and had a punt blocked.
I was watching the network from Seattle broadcasters (was there a Dallas version?) and they had a lot of compliments for Rush. You are right, he's a cool customer.

I agree on RB. It's decided. Pollard, Rico, Deuce. Not sure if Malik qualifies for Practice Squad, but we could probably put him there without another team taking him, for insurance.

I don't think any of our 5 TEs will make it without getting nabbed on the PS. Could be me thinking old school on the position. Maybe a lot of teams have those blocking/receiver prospects in waiting with position so much more used now?

OL - Seems like certain players are the ones falling apart. Very hard to weigh without good 22 replay. Could be some missed blocking assignments causing one guy to look bad. Vice versa for Mazi.

Cox can thank his lucky stars for Overshown's unfortunate injury. A lot of depth on this roster for young players, and LB had several showing up. He might have been at risk. Only so much time we can wait on his development, if any.

Whether it was freak injury or not, not happy about Overshown's injury because it was a reason he dropped in the draft besides being a tweener. I posted it on the other thread, but I believe he missed time in every season in college. Some guys just built more for the wear and tear. Hope he gets healthy because dude has some skills that would have been nice to watch.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Really disappointing about Waletzko after the hype in training camp. He will be here because they need a body but they really need like 3 or so new Olinemen next year.
It's disappointing for sure. Management has to continue to add prospects to the pipeline every year in hopes of developing future starters or key reserves.

Creeper

Reaction score
I was watching the network from Seattle broadcasters (was there a Dallas version?) and they had a lot of compliments for Rush. You are right, he's a cool customer.

I agree on RB. It's decided. Pollard, Rico, Deuce. Not sure if Malik qualifies for Practice Squad, but we could probably put him there without another team taking him, for insurance.

I don't think any of our 5 TEs will make it without getting nabbed on the PS. Could be me thinking old school on the position. Maybe a lot of teams have those blocking/receiver prospects in waiting with position so much more used now?

OL - Seems like certain players are the ones falling apart. Very hard to weigh without good 22 replay. Could be some missed blocking assignments causing one guy to look bad. Vice versa for Mazi.

Cox can thank his lucky stars for Overshown's unfortunate injury. A lot of depth on this roster for young players, and LB had several showing up. He might have been at risk. Only so much time we can wait on his development, if any.

Whether it was freak injury or not, not happy about Overshown's injury because it was a reason he dropped in the draft besides being a tweener. I posted it on the other thread, but I believe he missed time in every season in college. Some guys just built more for the wear and tear. Hope he gets healthy because dude has some skills that would have been nice to watch.
I thought Cox had a pretty good game last night. He made several plays to prevent big gains. He showed some excellent speed to the sidelines, although I think he was quicker before his knee injury. If Cox has a problem, I think his instincts aren;t as developed as some of the other LBs but he has talent.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score

Offense

Defense

Special Teams

Great points, just a few comments.

Davis was the personal protector on the blocked punt and did absolutely nothing...he just stepped into the middle to go downfield and completely ignored the rusher as he blew by him.

Williams just seems to have a knack for making dumb plays, but I gotta say it has to be hard not hitting the QB low in that situation. He was close and falling down. I don't really think anything intentional.

I am with you on Cox. I have seen some say he has looked good both games but I see a player that is very slow reacting to what is going on. Overshown is a big loss. I think he was going to get a lot of playing time. Did Clark play at all...I didn't notice him.

Thomas had a pretty rough night.

Waletzko now has a shoulder injury to the other side....he must have a genetic issue. Most people don't have their shoulders popping out all the time. Reminds me of the old Jacob Rogers fiasco from the 90's. Guy from USC that we drafted despite shoulder injuries and never played much.

Waletzko, Ball, Hoffman, and Farniok have not looked good at all. Hopefully Edoga will be ready for start of season....and Richards seems to be decent. TIme to bring back Jason Peters or add Justin Pugh?

Cowboyny

Reaction score

I think adding a veteran linebacker makes sense, not sure if we can trust Harper or Cox if they have to play starter snaps.

maryquality

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Yeah, it seems like every pre-season we say the same thing about our back-up o-lineman. They're just not that good. I remember a preseason game I watched last year, and Nate Newton said all the o-linemen during the game were just horrible. Of course, he was talking about our back ups, but still......

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I thought Cox had a pretty good game last night. He made several plays to prevent big gains. He showed some excellent speed to the sidelines, although I think he was quicker before his knee injury. If Cox has a problem, I think his instincts aren;t as developed as some of the other LBs but he has talent.
I worry about his lack of instincts and his ability to play the run. He looks like an old schooled, nickel/coverage linebacker.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Great points, just a few comments.

Davis was the personal protector on the blocked punt and did absolutely nothing...he just stepped into the middle to go downfield and completely ignored the rusher as he blew by him.

Williams just seems to have a knack for making dumb plays, but I gotta say it has to be hard not hitting the QB low in that situation. He was close and falling down. I don't really think anything intentional.

I am with you on Cox. I have seen some say he has looked good both games but I see a player that is very slow reacting to what is going on. Overshown is a big loss. I think he was going to get a lot of playing time. Did Clark play at all...I didn't notice him.

Thomas had a pretty rough night.

Waletzko now has a shoulder injury to the other side....he must have a genetic issue. Most people don't have their shoulders popping out all the time. Reminds me of the old Jacob Rogers fiasco from the 90's. Guy from USC that we drafted despite shoulder injuries and never played much.

Waletzko, Ball, Hoffman, and Farniok have not looked good at all. Hopefully Edoga will be ready for start of season....and Richards seems to be decent. TIme to bring back Jason Peters or add Justin Pugh?
Wasn't it Dowdle on that punt block, as he was the one running out of the endzone.

Overshown was a big loss, but I think it might open the door for Bell now to play a similar role. Team could also sign a veteran.

Not sure Peters or Pugh are the answers either. I'm not sure about our corner depth as well. These are the areas the team should look in roster waivers or the trade market.

manster4ever

Reaction score
Yep, lack of quality depth on that Oline is...............very noticeable and an issue IMO

Cumart21

Reaction score
Tolbert: even the Seattle announcers said the Cowboys were picking on their starting CB, mainly using Tolbert. Made a great adjustment on the back shoulder deep ball in the first quarter. One drop on probably his easiest pass of the night but he really looked good. Good #4 WR.

RBs: Rico and Deuce look good. Rico runs with deceptive power and seems more patient hitting the hole than Davis. Deuce was bottled up most of the night but with that OL grouping, not much to be expected. He's a killer against one on one tacklers.

Seattle Announcers: I live in Philly country and am a Sixers fan and the Seahawks preseason announcer is Kate Scott, who also happens to the the Sixers play by play person. Took some getting used to as a Sixers fan but I must say, she was BRUTAL calling that football game. I watched the 2nd half with the TV muted. Again I say, BRUTAL.

Overall: The first team for last night looked good on both sides of the ball in the first quarter, and it was essentially our 2nd and 3rd teamers against Seattle's 1st and 2nd teamers. Encouraged by that. We had a few guys on defense starting the game who likely won't be on the roster at the start of the season. Cooper Rush is the perfect backup QB and Grier ain't it. We're set at RB, WR and TE. Still like our depth on defense, even with the Overshown injury. A real bummer though. I said it going into the preseason and I'll say it again, OL depth is our number one issue and we've seen nothing so far to make me feel any better about it. Last, I'm encouraged by what I see from an offensive scheme perspective. Quick throws to the sideline and middle of the field. Both great areas to attack. With our skill guys and new scheme, we should be able to offset any deficiencies on the OL by getting the ball out of there. Call me an optimist.

Go Cowboys!

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Mike so worried about showing teams what they have planned for real games it leaves all these scrubs in extremely vanilla sets and they often look way worse than they are. Our backups vs their starters would have a chance if Mike would uncuff these guys from being so vanilla offensively.

shabazz

Reaction score
Seattle Announcers: I live in Philly country and am a Sixers fan and the Seahawks preseason announcer is Kate Scott, who also happens to the the Sixers play by play person. Took some getting used to as a Sixers fan but I must say, she was BRUTAL calling that football game. I watched the 2nd half with the TV muted. Again I say, BRUTAL.

Go Cowboys!
Brother, I am with you 100% on that. I didn’t think it could get any worse and then they added that clown Michael Bennet to the booth with his BS.

Kate Scott served her purpose as the useful idiot last night. She didn’t disappoint in her role.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Never felt that our backup linemen, ......Ball, Waletzko, Hoffman and even Farniok were decent or even average.. I am more high on Richards, Bass, Bostic TBH.. Dallas should cut their losses with those guys, Farniok may be only one they can salvage for now based on need at C. The big guy, Taylor-Pecan Praline,...needs a lot of work and he ain't ready at all. No wonder this is his 3rd team in only two years.

CWR

Reaction score

They should've cut Davis after the 9ers game. If you couldn't rely on him when you needed him the most, then it's time to move on.

shabazz

Reaction score
They should've cut Davis after the 9ers game. If you couldn't rely on him when you needed him the most, then it's time to move on.
That decision not to use him in that game spoke volumes

Sydla

Reaction score
The only thing I will say about Smith is that yeah, it's not time to throw in the towel yet or question the pick, but it's no doubt frustrating that your first pick is scuffling a bit. Teams really count on their first round picks making some sort of impact and not be a guy that needs a ton of development (unless it's say a QB or a kid coming from some really small school).

I hope they get a true run plugger out of him for this year but I can understand those who are disappointed thus far.

RonWashington

Reaction score
The kicker puts everything into end zone he hit his extra points wanted to see some FG tries first 2 games . I would imagine he’s the opening night kicker .

J-man

Reaction score
Tolbert: even the Seattle announcers said the Cowboys were picking on their starting CB, mainly using Tolbert. Made a great adjustment on the back shoulder deep ball in the first quarter. One drop on probably his easiest pass of the night but he really looked good. Good #4 WR.

RBs: Rico and Deuce look good. Rico runs with deceptive power and seems more patient hitting the hole than Davis. Deuce was bottled up most of the night but with that OL grouping, not much to be expected. He's a killer against one on one tacklers.

Overall: The first team for last night looked good on both sides of the ball in the first quarter, and it was essentially our 2nd and 3rd teamers against Seattle's 1st and 2nd teamers. Encouraged by that. We had a few guys on defense starting the game who likely won't be on the roster at the start of the season. Cooper Rush is the perfect backup QB and Grier ain't it. We're set at RB, WR and TE. Still like our depth on defense, even with the Overshown injury. A real bummer though. I said it going into the preseason and I'll say it again, OL depth is our number one issue and we've seen nothing so far to make me feel any better about it. Last, I'm encouraged by what I see from an offensive scheme perspective. Quick throws to the sideline and middle of the field. Both great areas to attack. With our skill guys and new scheme, we should be able to offset any deficiencies on the OL by getting the ball out of there. Call me an optimist.

Go Cowboys!
I'm not sold on Rico being our short yardage back. We may need to add someone if he and/or Davis can't step up.
I live in central PA and am a 76er fan as well. I can't stand listening to that woman call games. It's terrible. It gets worse when a big play happens, her high pitch squeal makes my ears hurt.
OL depth is and has been a major concern. They need to address it now before it's too late.