CFZ Thoughts/Opinions about last night's comeback win!

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
As I wrote my pre-game post yesterday, I knew this was going to be a very difficult game. Seattle was a very desperate team and the Cowboys may have been looking ahead to the Eagles, the so called trap game.

Offense

-Dak is playing with such confidence, outside of being stopped on a 4th down try, they didn't need to punt the entire game.
-Thought Ferguson had his best game of his career, this isn't a homer statement, but he is looking like a Kelce type of TE, excellent in yards after catch
-Tony Pollard is quietly running the football better over the last few weeks, we also have seen him run for TD's in back to back weeks.
-Lamb had an up and down game in my opinion, dropped a long pass, but got the penalty, dropped the 4th down pass and should of caught a TD in that tight window.
-Nice to see Cooks continuing to produce. Tolbert made a couple nice outside of box score plays, but Gallup is a mess, seems an interception is awaiting to happen when he runs a poor route. Want to see more Turpin, made a nice third down conversion.
-Had their struggles down in the red zone again, but did score multiple TD's.
-Steele had another rough night, but I think his issues this week were more mental then physical.

Defense

-So many penalties made it very difficult to get off the field, matter of fact Seattle also never punted the football.
-Bland for the 2nd straight week really struggled. Him giving up so much cushion on 3rd and shorts needs to stop. Had a better 2nd half, but needs to play better.
-Thought the linebackers really struggled in pass coverage, Seattle was eating the defense alive around the sticks.
-Terrible job allowing the Seahawks to score a TD before half without a timeout.
-To the defense's credit, they stopped the Seahawks when it mattered the most, back to back 4th down stops, when they couldn't stop Seattle all night.
-Credit belongs to Lewis, DLaw, Osa and Parsons on the final play. I guess we need to see a Ohio State receiver to get Lewis to play like that!
-Pass rush has disappeared the last few weeks, Seattle has a poor line like Washington and yet no sacks recorded.
-What is MM doing when he refused that penalty where Seattle would of been 2nd and 19 over 3rd and 7?

Special Teams

-Audrey made all his kicks, where Seattle missed a chip shot in the 1st half.

Although ugly, the Cowboys needed this type of win. Very important W inside the conference, which at worst puts them in great position for that 5th seed in the playoffs. If they would of lost, divisional hopes would be gone and the Cowboys would be fighting to get into the playoffs with their tough schedule ahead.

As for the Eagles, if they beat the 49ers this week, the division is basically over, but if they lose, gives the Cowboys an outside chance to catch them, but they would still be in excellent shape.
I think the 3rd and 7 was just drinking a little bathwater in McCarthy's part. Good to have to have faith in your defense, but you still need to be rational

If Philadelphia drops the next two, they are still in good shape but momentum would be very much in our favor. Thats critical in the NFL

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Dak Dilemma? What you don't think he is worthy of an extension?
The Dak Dilemma was that after the SF game most thought he was on the decline and no way deserved an extension. Any rationale observer would have questioned the extension at that point plus Dak’s demonstrated history of failure against good defenses. Dak to his credit has answered this by playing maybe the best football of his career making the extension almost a necessity for Jerry. Still Dak needs to do it in the playoffs to truly gain the trust of the fanbase. I have long supported Dak here. I like the guy and think he is a good QB but question if he is worth $50 million a year, at 30 years old, with a bad record against good teams. It’s a dilemma. No doubt.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Chill the big Blue M&M out on taking penalties, going for it on 4th down, and having an undisciplined penalty prone team.

These next 4 games will tell a lot. But, Great 3 game win in 11 days. Smarten up and discipline is what's needed.

robjay04

Reaction score
I f
As I wrote my pre-game post yesterday, I knew this was going to be a very difficult game. Seattle was a very desperate team and the Cowboys may have been looking ahead to the Eagles, the so called trap game.

Offense

-Dak is playing with such confidence, outside of being stopped on a 4th down try, they didn't need to punt the entire game.
-Thought Ferguson had his best game of his career, this isn't a homer statement, but he is looking like a Kelce type of TE, excellent in yards after catch
-Tony Pollard is quietly running the football better over the last few weeks, we also have seen him run for TD's in back to back weeks.
-Lamb had an up and down game in my opinion, dropped a long pass, but got the penalty, dropped the 4th down pass and should of caught a TD in that tight window.
-Nice to see Cooks continuing to produce. Tolbert made a couple nice outside of box score plays, but Gallup is a mess, seems an interception is awaiting to happen when he runs a poor route. Want to see more Turpin, made a nice third down conversion.
-Steele had another rough night, but I think his issues this week were more mental then physical.

Defense

-So many penalties made it very difficult to get off the field, matter of fact Seattle also never punted the football.
-Bland for the 2nd straight week really struggled. Him giving up so much cushion on 3rd and shorts needs to stop. Had a better 2nd half, but needs to play better.
-Thought the linebackers really struggled in pass coverage, Seattle was eating the defense alive around the sticks.
-Terrible job allowing the Seahawks to score a TD before half without a timeout.
-To the defense's credit, they stopped the Seahawks when it mattered the most, back to back 4th down stops, when they couldn't stop Seattle all night.
-Credit belongs to Lewis, DLaw, Osa and Parsons on the final play. I guess we need to see a Ohio State receiver to get Lewis to play like that!
-Pass rush has disappeared the last few weeks, Seattle has a poor line like Washington and yet no sacks recorded.
-What is MM doing when he refused that penalty where Seattle would of been 2nd and 19 over 3rd and 7?

Special Teams

Although ugly, the Cowboys needed this type of win. Very important W inside the conference, which at worst puts them in great position for that 5th seed in the playoffs. If they would of lost, divisional hopes would be gone and the Cowboys would be fighting to get into the playoffs with their tough schedule ahead.

As for the Eagles, if they beat the 49ers this week, the division is basically over, but if they lose, gives the Cowboys an outside chance to catch them, but they would still be in excellent shape.
I actually thought our pass rush was fine —Genius just played out of his mind and threw the ball away falling down at least twice that I remember —-3 if you include the last play.

I don’t know enough about Geno to know if that a trait of his but him throwing the ball in the dirt at the last second robbed Micah of probably 2.5 sacks.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I f

I actually thought our pass rush was fine —Genius just played out of his mind and threw the ball away falling down at least twice that I remember —-3 if you include the last play.

I don’t know enough about Geno to know if that a trait of his but him throwing the ball in the dirt at the last second robbed Micah of probably 2.5 sacks.
He was excellent not taking sacks, looked like Wilson.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
The Dak Dilemma was that after the SF game most thought he was on the decline and no way deserved an extension. Any rationale observer would have questioned the extension at that point plus Dak’s demonstrated history of failure against good defenses. Dak to his credit has answered this by playing maybe the best football of his career making the extension almost a necessity for Jerry. Still Dak needs to do it in the playoffs to truly gain the trust of the fanbase. I have long supported Dak here. I like the guy and think he is a good QB but question if he is worth $50 million a year, at 30 years old, with a bad record against good teams. It’s a dilemma. No doubt.
Think the scheme played a role in his poor performance, but he has struggled against that team. Yes, needs to show it in the postseason, but he is likely going to receive an extension.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I think the 3rd and 7 was just drinking a little bathwater in McCarthy's part. Good to have to have faith in your defense, but you still need to be rational

If Philadelphia drops the next two, they are still in good shape but momentum would be very much in our favor. Thats critical in the NFL
Yes, playing the best football late is the key, saw the Giants here make that run after they had a close loss to the Patriots to end the season.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Think the scheme played a role in his poor performance, but he has struggled against that team. Yes, needs to show it in the postseason, but he is likely going to receive an extension.
Scheme played a part but to be fair Dak didn’t look good. Tentative and showed no interest in using his legs. I think his confidence was shook a bit. To be clear I am a fan of Dak’s and root for him to prove the haters wrong.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Scheme played a part but to be fair Dak didn’t look good. Tentative and showed no interest in using his legs. I think his confidence was shook a bit. To be clear I am a fan of Dak’s and root for him to prove the haters wrong.
Whole team looked that way, the 49ers are in their heads.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

Offense

Defense

Special Teams

great analysis.
on CD, he has to make those tough catches when they count the most. that 4th down drop was not acceptable and that throw to the endzone, went right through his hands as he didn't expect to be open and dak making the throw. he seemed not ready for that ball.

not sure what was wrong with defense, but to their credit they stepped up when it counted. however, they played 3 games in 12 games. perhaps tired legs. the pass rush was anemic against a very average OL.

the pass defense is predicated on pass rush. when pass rush isn't there, we struggle.

the defense struggled against short passing game. too much cushion. offenses will notice. its been the same for three weeks. with that said, its forcing the offenses to drive the field on long drive, betting they are going to make mistakes. but last night they gave up multiple long passes, which is unusual.

and yes, way way way too many penalties

quickccc

Reaction score

Offense

Defense

Special Teams

Thanks for sharing

OFFENSE

- Dak has been playing lights out since the Niners game - he is pushing the ball, hitting strikes in red zone, working vs man and zones, involving several targets WR/TEs and he is not turning ball over. Great TD to INT ratio and could be debated that he is easily one of sure fire MVP of the NFL - brought team back from 8 points down 28-20

- I am glad that Pollard/Rico are having some impact in run game- but the RB play still is not as good as it could be --as it should be, imo. 2nd time Rico has turned a swing pass into a receiving TD. Pollard boinked a sure TD pass right off his facemask. Maybe he is so underdeveloped and non-confidence not comfortable as a receiver ?
Still not yet seeing the patented homerun long TDs from Pollard but it has not been 1 dimensional offense attack.

- Anyone else wonder why not more TEs are getting into the pass game besides just Fergy? Schoon gets occasionally one single catch every other game. But Henderson has been out or limited all year, McKeon merely a blocker, and there’s no one to take relief off Jake who having an outstanding year, safety Jamal Adams could not handle him.

- WR Lamb had 12 catches and like most teams, Hawks just could contain him. Cooks had a TD, but i dunno why we don’t take over top deep shots with Cooks, but instead with Tolbert ? BTW, Tolbert had a nice game too, but where was Gallup ?

- OL sets some run openings but Dak was rushed all night on several spots and moments and multiple sacks - ‘hawks have good pass rushers as Steele reverted back to his struggles, as did center Biasdz.
But Tyron and Martin and Tyler (though had some flags) were solid, and the unit helped place 41 points on the field.

quickccc

Reaction score
DEFENSE

- Surprised we did not have a single sack vs suspect Hawks OL unit. Gino got rid of ball, and it was not dink n sunk either. He had the time n' took some vertical shots at our D, and Bland had his worst game as a staring outside CB.

- Bland is utterly tremendous when he's driving " forward " to the ball, and so strong/physical enuff
to flat wrestle ball away from WRs,.. but he is/will be tested where he has to turn and run upfield
or double-moved. Vs the better noted WRs (ala Keenan Allen, Devontae Smith and DK Metcalf)

- Metcalf just tore Bland up to such that Quinn made halftime adjustments with switching Gilmore vs Metcalf
and Bland vs Lockett. Gilmore continues to be a brilliant key addition for this defense.
J-Lewis came up big vs key last drives vs Hawks.

- I dunno what da hell is going on with our safeties !
Wilson is a mere shell of himself, and has not made the impact that got him the big contract.
Could it be lingering calf injury ? Or a shift in a different role ?

- Hooker plays in the deep back but i don’t see breaks on the ball for INTs, does he even have an INT this year ?
- Kearse seems body beaten, wear & tear toll , he is just is not what he’s used to be and seems a step behind.
Another that used to be keen vs TEs, run support and gain turnovers last year in '22- but like the other safeties,
it's not been there this year.

- I’m just not impressed with Damon Clark, he just is not a big play LB, imo.
No punched fumbles, INTs, rare tackles for losses, not a blitzer, I don't see a knack for turnovers, etc.
Normally with these many past games, after his feet is wet, you’d like to see if he has instinctive natural
playmaking ability - but he doesn’t. He’s just decent/serviceable type.
Pretty much like LVE.
Long thought converted S to LB Markis Bell maybe our best LB player.
Evans has coverage issues but is he supposed to cover" WRs " 30-40 plus yards downfield ?
Again,.. where are the safeties ? The last line of defense ?

- Seen Parson come close vs QB on both inside and edge, but Gino got ball out so fast,
and OL " held" Micah so much that he didn't reg a sack, nor did any other DL guy. Stunning that none
of our rush guys could sack the QB, ..Thought no Chardonnet (hurt) crippled Hawks vs bltiz.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing

OFFENSE

- Dak has been playing lights out since the Niners game - he is pushing the ball, hitting strikes in red zone, working vs man and zones, involving several targets WR/TEs and he is not turning ball over. Great TD to INT ratio and could be debated that he is easily one of sure fire MVP of the NFL - brought team back from 8 points down 28-20

- I am glad that Pollard/Rico are having some impact in run game- but the RB play still is not as good as it could be --as it should be, imo. 2nd time Rico has turned a swing pass into a receiving TD. Pollard boinked a sure TD pass right off his facemask. Maybe he is so underdeveloped and non-confidence not comfortable as a receiver ?
Still not yet seeing the patented homerun long TDs from Pollard but it has not been 1 dimensional offense attack.

- Anyone else wonder why not more TEs are getting into the pass game besides just Fergy? Schoon gets occasionally one single catch every other game. But Henderson has been out or limited all year, McKeon merely a blocker, and there’s no one to take relief off Jake who having an outstanding year, safety Jamal Adams could not handle him.

- WR Lamb had 12 catches and like most teams, Hawks just could contain him. Cooks had a TD, but i dunno why we don’t take over top deep shots with Cooks, but instead with Tolbert ? BTW, Tolbert had a nice game too, but where was Gallup ?

- OL sets some run openings but Dak was rushed all night on several spots and moments and multiple sacks - ‘hawks have good pass rushers as Steele reverted back to his struggles, as did center Biasdz.
But Tyron and Martin and Tyler (though had some flags) were solid, and the unit helped place 41 points on the field.
-Schoon is getting the snaps, but needs development as a receiver.
-I would be shocked if Gallup is on this roster next season.
-Steele cannot be left on an island anymore. He is the biggest liability right now up front.
-Really feel like they have to overhaul their run game in the offseason from scheme and personnel.
-Cooks is making an impact, but it is very odd they don’t throw deep shots to him

Cowboyny

Reaction score
DEFENSE

- Surprised we did not have a single sack vs suspect Hawks OL unit. Gino got rid of ball, and it was not dink n sunk either. He had the time n' took some vertical shots at our D, and Bland had his worst game as a staring outside CB.

- Bland is utterly tremendous when he's driving " forward " to the ball, and so strong/physical enuff
to flat wrestle ball away from WRs,.. but he is/will be tested where he has to turn and run upfield
or double-moved. Vs the better noted WRs (ala Keenan Allen, Devontae Smith and DK Metcalf)

- Metcalf just tore Bland up to such that Quinn made halftime adjustments with switching Gilmore vs Metcalf
and Bland vs Lockett. Gilmore continues to be a brilliant key addition for this defense.
J-Lewis came up big vs key last drives vs Hawks.

- I dunno what da hell is going on with our safeties !
Wilson is a mere shell of himself, and has not made the impact that got him the big contract.
Could it be lingering calf injury ? Or a shift in a different role ?

- Hooker plays in the deep back but i don’t see breaks on the ball for INTs, does he even have an INT this year ?
- Kearse seems body beaten, wear & tear toll , he is just is not what he’s used to be and seems a step behind.
Another that used to be keen vs TEs, run support and gain turnovers last year in '22- but like the other safeties,
it's not been there this year.

- I’m just not impressed with Damon Clark, he just is not a big play LB, imo.
No punched fumbles, INTs, rare tackles for losses, not a blitzer, I don't see a knack for turnovers, etc.
Normally with these many past games, after his feet is wet, you’d like to see if he has instinctive natural
playmaking ability - but he doesn’t. He’s just decent/serviceable type.
Pretty much like LVE.
Long thought converted S to LB Markis Bell maybe our best LB player.
Evans has coverage issues but is he supposed to cover" WRs " 30-40 plus yards downfield ?
Again,.. where are the safeties ? The last line of defense ?

- Seen Parson come close vs QB on both inside and edge, but Gino got ball out so fast,
and OL " held" Micah so much that he didn't reg a sack, nor did any other DL guy. Stunning that none
of our rush guys could sack the QB, ..Thought no Chardonnet (hurt) crippled Hawks vs bltiz.
-Safeties have been awful, especially Kearse and Wilson. Believe Bell is taking Kearse role next season.
-Team really needs to add Leonard, who is a legitimate linebacker with instincts. Even if he isn’t as good, he will be an upgrade.
-defense is getting pressure, but need to finish as teams are making passes under pressure that is moving the sticks

quickccc

Reaction score
-Schoon is getting the snaps, but needs development as a receiver.
-I would be shocked if Gallup is on this roster next season.
-Steele cannot be left on an island anymore. He is the biggest liability right now up front.
-Really feel like they have to overhaul their run game in the offseason from scheme and personnel.
-Cooks is making an impact, but it is very odd they don’t throw deep shots to him
I think we have to let Steele play it out and devote any starting reps he can get at RT.
Cannot get better or improve from ACL rehab if he is sitting on the bench.
And there's also too much $$ invested in him now to quit on him.

How much of Steeles' struggles have been physically...how much has it been mentally ?
Self confidence ? Is it his legs or is it his hands techniques ?

Also .. how much has the new OL coach Mike Solari play a key part in Steele-lesser year ?
It (coach) maybe another reason why HOF Martin has fallen off his usual All pro-pro bowl level self.
Ditto with Pro Bowl alternate Tyler Biasdz who is really looking average at this point.

quickccc

Reaction score
-Safeties have been awful, especially Kearse and Wilson. Believe Bell is taking Kearse role next season.
-Team really needs to add Leonard, who is a legitimate linebacker with instincts. Even if he isn’t as good, he will be an upgrade.
-defense is getting pressure, but need to finish as teams are making passes under pressure that is moving the sticks
Bell for Kearse ? I'm not sure.
I think Quinn is developing and setting Bell to be a hybrid LB around that line of scrimmage.
And right now Bell may be our best LB right now - even over Clark.

Imagine Leonard, Overshown and Bell in the LB unit with Clark as a reserve.

I'd actually like to see if Juanye Thomas can replace Kearse if he does not return.
Thomas is big ( 6'3, 216) an INT ball hawk who can match up in nickel, tackle in the open field
and he's not afraid to stick his nose in there vs the run.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I thought the pass rush was fine. The Seahawks were releasing the ball super fast, meaning, our up front and back end coverage was trash.