CFZ Thoughts/Opinions about yesterday's 49er win against the Eagles

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
funny enough we held cmc to 51 yds on 19 carries

our secondary just got thrashed
well, that's part of the story. they rushed for 171 yards. that's a lot. which means they controlled the clock.
Perhaps I should have been more clear, as McCaffrey is their hog. but slowing their running game is key.

our offense couldn't run the ball. and the pass protection was awful. we ran for 57 yards. average of 3.3. with a lot of the longer runs coming in the scoring drive, but shut down otherwise.
we only ran 51 plays in that game. vs. them 66.

75boyz

Reaction score
several key things you pointed out.

The niners are a very physical team and it starts with both of their lines. They have made huge investments in the DL and OL and focus has been on physiciallity of both. their DL is or almost violent with the way they attack.

their defensive success is predicated on pass defense and rushing with front 4, which they do a really good job and then dropping 7 into coverage as you said take away passing lanes, specially with their LBs.

Their offensive success is also predicated on their running game. and the ability of the backs catching and RACs. Sameul is physical and is at times like a RB from the backfield. McCaffrey fits their offense to a T. they run a zone blocking scheme and he can wiggle his way through, as if they had Henry, they would not necessarily see as much success.

the way to beat them is to run the ball, force them to respect the run and not be predictable on 2nd, 3rd downs. its not necessarily averaging 4 yards a carry, but averaging 3.5 to four, allows you to run even on second downs and force them to dedicate more of their LBs to stopping the run. which in turn opens the passing game. in our earlier game this year, the drive we scored a TD, was just that. we had some success running the ball, which in turn opened the passing game. the passing game has to challenge them everywhere in the field, their defense has to be forced to defend the whole field forcing their Safties and LBs having to make decisions.

ofcourse all of this is predicated on stopping their pass rush. dedicating additional players to provide pass protection is more important than having more WRs enroute.

Right now SF is best team in the league, despite their 3 game losing streak. in those three losses, McCaffrey was held in check with 43, 45 and 50 yards. and all those teams had some to good success running against them. that put their defense having to focus on stopping the run and then left passing lanes open. Minn. provided excellent pass protection and they attacked them all over the field.
Outstanding post. More specifically your comments on the impact of a solid run game.

IF we could achieve any semblance of the running game you described here we would basically be the 9ers equal.

Not sure how or why the braintrust of Solari and Schottenheimer have not been able to balance McCheese's offense with an effective running scheme yet.

To date, our running the ball has been a mish mash of random plus plays and TFLs.
No cohesion, flow or in most cases, any logic to the run play selection.

But yeah anyhow, IF we could achieve just "some" offensive balance(like you described) with a credible run game, that would change everything imo.

Last edited:

Creeper

Reaction score
I am getting a chuckle out of the Eagles fans complaining about the refs on Twitter/X. Even more humorous are the replies!

I thought the Eagles had something early in the game with those crossing routes that went for big plays. I don't know why they did not stick with that.

I also thought the Eagles needed to run the ball more. I think they are relying too much on Hurts now. Hurts had all day because the 49ers did what the Bills did, they rushed in their Lanes and tried to make Hurts throw from the pocket. The also took away the deep throws, which surprised me since I think that's where they are vulnerable.

The 49ers run block as good as anyone in the league and showed it again last night. Watch those outside runs. You'll see 4 or 5 49ers downfield blocking and everyone of they takes a guy and holds his block. Their execution on those plays is almost perfection. But the Eagles 2nd and 3rd levels on defense are not very good. If you get past their defensive line you can gain some yards.

What makes the 49ers so good on defense is their LBs. They can run sideline to sideline with speed and great recognition.

The Eagles miss Dallas Goedert. He is their go to guy and I think Hurts misses him. I also think he is a good blocker in the run game. I am not saying they would have won if he was playing full strength but I think he helps Hurts a lot.

I was surprised the Eagles DL did not dominate the 49ers OL. I don't think the 49ers OL is especially good, but they do something right because they blocked the Eagles defense most of the night.

I have said it before, and I will say it again. I don't care how many sacks anyone in the league has because no one gets the attention Micah Parsons does. Reddick is a good player but if he faced double and triple teams constantly like Micah, he would get no sacks. When Micah doesn't get blocked, like against Seattle, he end the play before it gets started. Bosa, Watt. Reddick, Mack, none of them get the constant attention Micah gets. That is why is should be DPOY - but he won't be.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
49ers and it's not close
Their right of their OL is far inferior to what the Eagles employ. Eagles have stars across the board, where the 49ers just have Trent Williams.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Outstanding post. More specifically your comments on the impact of a solid run game.

IF we could achieve any semblance of the running game you described here we would basically be the 9ers equal.

Not sure how or why the braintrust of Solari and Schottenheimer have not been able to balance McCheese's offense with an effective running scheme yet.

To date, our running the ball has been a mish mash of random plus plays and TFLs.
No cohesion, flow or in most cases, any logic to the run play selection.

But yeah anyhow, IF we could achieve just "some" offensive balance(like you described) with a credible run game, that would change everything imo.
yeah, running game has been spotty. to MM's point, its sticking to it and I felt in our first matchup against SF, we abandoned it too early. we have to mix it up with more than just pollard and be a little more creative. taking advantage of their aggressiveness on defensive front, throw in a few draw plays. on that drive we scored with Turpin, the run game helped open up the deep ball as their CBs aren't that good.

now, the key for us is stopping the run. I have notice McCaffrey likes to run to his left a lot more than his right, so putting Lawrence on that side would help, but man we have to move Micah around the line a lot, specially after they make their run calls. and we have to be very very physical up front.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
yeah, running game has been spotty. to MM's point, its sticking to it and I felt in our first matchup against SF, we abandoned it too early. we have to mix it up with more than just pollard and be a little more creative. taking advantage of their aggressiveness on defensive front, throw in a few draw plays. on that drive we scored with Turpin, the run game helped open up the deep ball as their CBs aren't that good.

now, the key for us is stopping the run. I have notice McCaffrey likes to run to his left a lot more than his right, so putting Lawrence on that side would help, but man we have to move Micah around the line a lot, specially after they make their run calls. and we have to be very very physical up front.

Interestingly , i dunno if I'd say they out-physical you physically... they don't use a power oriented OL unit
as it's based off that patented Shanahan zone trap stretch scheme.

and as I always point out to several threads repeatedly, they don't employ big hulky power backs but
more so speedy splashing backs - from Mosher, Ejiah, to McCaffrey it's been based off burst- quickness
than big pounding backs like many on this forum seem to be constantly insisting on .

The Eagles themselves do not employ big hulking backs either - but they prefer the same type speed oriented
slashing backs in that Shanahan system .. the ex-Sanders, now Swifts, Gainwell, Scott etc.

But if we employ a similar speedy, slashing type RB ala Pollard - then they'll say he needs to be benched and
reserved for a change of pace backup RB and should be starting Rico instead ... go figure.

Making matters worse if we still seem to be trying to use Pollard as a bell cow pounding back - angry runs
and that's not the type of RB he is.
They out physical you as if their run after the catch abilities, their defense

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
Their right of their OL is far inferior to what the Eagles employ. Eagles have stars across the board, where the 49ers just have Trent Williams.
They looked way better than the Eagles yesterday they ran the ball down their throat with that Oline manhandling that Eagle Dline.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
They looked way better than the Eagles yesterday they ran the ball down their throat with that Oline manhandling that Eagle Dline.
Their long drives wore down their front, also the Eagles have average at best linebackers and were missing two starters at the position

quickccc

Reaction score
I am getting a chuckle out of the Eagles fans complaining about the refs on Twitter/X. Even more humorous are the replies!
I get a great chuckle outta the Eagles fans ... period !! No matter what.

Did anyone hear those sorry,.. arrogant,.. ungreat-fuls actually Boooo-ing their very own 10-1 Eagles football team ??!! ........... Hilarious !!

:lmao:

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I wonder if the fans of the Giants and Commanders rave about the Cowboys. Because, Cowboys fans rave about the Eagles and 49ers.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Best offensive line? That is very questionable. They definitely are not the OL they were last year, not even close.
They are good but if you took away their impunity for getting early start they wouldn't be nearly as effective.