Thoughts opinions of the 3 DL Signings this week

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Daviyon Nixon....Iowa DT. I think he is a keeper. Could be a Aaron Donald kind of guy.

I always get my hopes up every year. I know they arent going to use a first rounder so I get my hopes up for a 2nd rounder for a DT. Hill was such a bad pick when it happened that I couldnt even get excited about it at the time. Need a big boy in the middle.

Creeper

Reaction score
You just said they dont have a history of using a high pick on a DT, I just showed you two instances where they did. They have also signed 2 DT's in FA. So they are focused on the position. Dont really care about the 1T, 3T thing. Right now we dont have any stud DT's. Just give me one. I dont care what spot, just give me one.

The Cowboys DO NOT have a record of drafting DTs in the early rounds. Since 1991, they have taken only 8 DTs in the first 4 rounds. None in the 1st, 1 in the 2nd, 5 in the 3rd, and 2 in the 4th. In that time they have had 129 picks on those rounds. The last DT they took in the first round was Russell Maryland. Russell will be 52 years old tomorrow. It has been 30 years since Dallas used a 1st round pick on a DT.

It has actually been slightly worse since 2000. From 2000 to 2020 the Cowboys have had 86 picks in the top 4 rounds. They have picked 5 DTs over that time. 1 in the 2nd and 4 in the 4th.

I do not understand the logic behind this. If they are unwilling to sign quality Free Agents to play the position and they are unwilling to use high draft picks on the position, then it can only mean they do not value the position. Is there another team in the league that shares this philosophy? Well, I checked. And no other team has not used a first round pick on a DT since 1991. The Cowboys are alone in that regard.

Five other teams have used only 1 first round pick on a DT, Bengals, Bears, Colts, Falcons and Ravens, but all of those teams have acquired top DTs in later rounds or through trade/free agency. The Cowboys are the only team to rely on mid to late draft picks to build the interior defensive line.

tm1119

Reaction score
The Cowboys DO NOT have a record of drafting DTs in the early rounds. Since 1991, they have taken only 8 DTs in the first 4 rounds. None in the 1st, 1 in the 2nd, 5 in the 3rd, and 2 in the 4th. In that time they have had 129 picks on those rounds. The last DT they took in the first round was Russell Maryland. Russell will be 52 years old tomorrow. It has been 30 years since Dallas used a 1st round pick on a DT.

It has actually been slightly worse since 2000. From 2000 to 2020 the Cowboys have had 86 picks in the top 4 rounds. They have picked 5 DTs over that time. 1 in the 2nd and 4 in the 4th.

I do not understand the logic behind this. If they are unwilling to sign quality Free Agents to play the position and they are unwilling to use high draft picks on the position, then it can only mean they do not value the position. Is there another team in the league that shares this philosophy? Well, I checked. And no other team has not used a first round pick on a DT since 1991. The Cowboys are alone in that regard.

Five other teams have used only 1 first round pick on a DT, Bengals, Bears, Colts, Falcons and Ravens, but all of those teams have acquired top DTs in later rounds or through trade/free agency. The Cowboys are the only team to rely on mid to late draft picks to build the interior defensive line.

Now do Safety...kidding, but I imagine it would be extremely similar. There was Roy Williams as a high draft pick and they invested a little into Hamlin as a free agent, but other than that it’s also been a lot of late round mediocrity at safety for a decade +. Almost like there’s some sort of crazy correlation between those 2 positions and having a successful defense :rolleyes:

AshyLarry06

Reaction score
This team needed a soild run stopper or three on the DL, and Urban is a good fit for Quinn's 4Tech position...6-7 300...that's what I'm talking about.

Dorance Armstrong was the #3 Edge Rusher before Basham was signed, so DE was a major need and they, at least, got decent player.

I liked Watkins coming out of Clemson, and I hope he is better than the last Texan DL to come through.

I feel you got an upgrade of TyCraw, over Armstrong, and took a chance on a guy who can play 4T, 1T or 3T. However, I won't feel good about what they've done until a legit NT is in the building.
I still think adorable Armstrong can turn into a solid-to-above average pass rusher as he is only 24 y/o in his 5 th year. DA combined w Basham, Anae, Carter, and the two studs in Tank and Gregory, and this DE group is looking pretty solid with two top dog pass rushers leading the way. Now, if we could just upgrade that DT position...the D would be set!