Thoughts opinions of the 3 DL Signings this week

LittleD

Reaction score
Wake me when we aquire a game disrupting DT. The single most important piece of a stout defense.

You and Rip Van Winkle must be cousins then. The FO does not value 1T DL and especially if they cost big money. When was the last time you saw Jerry or Stephen sign
a big fatty? About as long as its been since they hired a true ball hawking safety. Now go back and sleep the season away.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
He is certainly a candidate at either 44 or 75. Will the team use a premium pick on the position when they haven't in years?

They did draft Gallimore in the 3rd and Hill in the 2nd. And they seem to be focusing on that in FA. We can only hope.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
They did draft Gallimore in the 3rd and Hill in the 2nd. And they seem to be focusing on that in FA. We can only hope.
Both Hill/Gallimore are viewed as 3T's with rush abilities, they haven't taken a legit 2 down, 1T in years.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Both Hill/Gallimore are viewed as 3T's with rush abilities, they haven't taken a legit 2 down, 1T in years.

You just said they dont have a history of using a high pick on a DT, I just showed you two instances where they did. They have also signed 2 DT's in FA. So they are focused on the position. Dont really care about the 1T, 3T thing. Right now we dont have any stud DT's. Just give me one. I dont care what spot, just give me one.

Creeper

Reaction score
I am getting tired of hearing that we signed a guy who was misused by other teams but now that he is with the Cowboys he is going to be a much better player than at any time in his career. These are just guys to fill the roster and provide rotational depth. The defensive line will be no stronger than it was last year because we added 3 inexpensive free agents. I think we have a better chance of seeing Hill and Gallimore improve the DL than these guys.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Watkins-I believe he fills that 4T LE role in our base defense. This spot in Quinn's scheme is more like a 3-4 DE that anchors and holds up multiple blockers. He certainly can play a little 1T in a pinch as well.

Urban-another 3-4 Defensive Lineman who has starting experience. Think he fills that Tyrone Crawford Role. Can play inside/outside, known more as a high motor run defender.

Basham-might be the Aldon Smith replacement and an upgrade over Armstrong as the #3 DE. Many think he was not used correctly as a stand up Edge rusher, where he is better suited as a down pass rusher. More of an upside pick.

These are more role player, rotational types that improve our depth. Behind the starters, we either have young prospects or undrafted fa's. These moves were necessary and could make a difference in the long run.
Depth signing

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I love the DT signings. High draft picks or big money free agent run stoppers never made any sense because run stoppers are, by definition, role players who don’t bring enough vs the pass to warrant playing 3 downs or earning top pay. Fans who want to use early draft capital on similar run stoppers fail to realize that we don’t need that. We will be much better vs the run this year. Personally, I would love to find a true MLB inthe draft and keep Jaylin and LVE on the outside

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They had to address the D, specifically the run D, and they have little wiggle room with cap money.

This is not a balanced team and hasn't been for 25 years, it is built for the follow the ball fan. They do not have to have a top 5 D because they will ride the O as far as it can take them.

IND and NO both won rings with O and less than great but opportunistic D's but they could only win one each.

CHI, BAL and TB did the same thing with their shutdown D's, one ring each is all they could muster. BAL and TB won additional rings but not with that kind of team.

The Cowboys have a fine O, they just need a serviceable D this season and a good one in 2022 and they'll be fine. They do not look like a SB team this season but they will be a playoff team.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
I am getting tired of hearing that we signed a guy who was misused by other teams but now that he is with the Cowboys he is going to be a much better player than at any time in his career. These are just guys to fill the roster and provide rotational depth. The defensive line will be no stronger than it was last year because we added 3 inexpensive free agents. I think we have a better chance of seeing Hill and Gallimore improve the DL than these guys.

You can see what happened last year, McCoy, Poe and Griffin looked great on paper....and then you know what happened. So i respectfully reserve my remarks until after camp to see if these castoffs do any better. Show me. I hope they do pan out.

Sydla

Reaction score
You just said they dont have a history of using a high pick on a DT, I just showed you two instances where they did. They have also signed 2 DT's in FA. So they are focused on the position. Dont really care about the 1T, 3T thing. Right now we dont have any stud DT's. Just give me one. I dont care what spot, just give me one.

A 3rd round pick on a DT doesn't strike me as a big investment in the DT. And they signed two JAGs at DT, hardly another big investment. They are focused on DT in the sense they know they need to put some warm bodies out there at DT. But that seems to be the extent of it. It's pretty clear they don't value DT as important as some other positions.

Their plan at DT seems pretty obvious. Throw mostly mid round to late round picks at it and sign cheap guys and hope some stick and give them competent DT play. It's how they have operated for years now when you look at their draft and FA moves. Hill is the only semi-real investment in the position and that's because Marinelli had a hard on for the kid.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
They had to address the D, specifically the run D, and they have little wiggle room with cap money.

This is not a balanced team and hasn't been for 25 years, it is built for the follow the ball fan. They do not have to have a top 5 D because they will ride the O as far as it can take them.

IND and NO both won rings with O and less than great but opportunistic D's but they could only win one each.

CHI, BAL and TB did the same thing with their shutdown D's, one ring each is all they could muster. BAL and TB won additional rings but not with that kind of team.

The Cowboys have a fine O, they just need a serviceable D this season and a good one in 2022 and they'll be fine. They do not look like a SB team this season but they will be a playoff team.

Gone are the days of the shutdown D. The way the rules are now, it is unlikely anyone shuts anyone down, D depends on key stops during the game and turnovers. Pressure on the QB. What TB did to KC was not common, KC also did not have great game plan, their tackles nor did they adjust. Reid did not prepare them well. Too overconfident. I agree the Cowboys need at least a average D, around 12 to 18 ranked, but with more turnovers.

Praxit

Reaction score
..I'll believe it when I see it. Through the years they get so called War Daddy's, only to come out flat. I not falling for it this time. ..;)

panchucko

It's Back
Reaction score
I concur with 'blueblood70' - the Cowboys will parlay Pitts falling into their lap at #10 to negotiate with some team(s) who really want that TE. Get that 15 -20 pick plus a 2nd, then use that lower 1st to select S Moehrig or CB Horn.
BUT - if OT Slater is still there at 10....??
I understand yours and BB reasoning but we have Jerry. I think he believes we got better on d just because if Quinn and Jerry likes to splash