Thoughts the morning after

tyke1doe

Reaction score
And Dez actualy came up small by dropping two td passes from Weeden that shoul've been runs anyway.

It's really inexcusable that the Cowboys get inside the five with four downs to get a TD, have the best back in football and an offensive line that has led the team to six consecutive victories, and you run the ball just once. :mad:

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
So if Dez is hurt and then he comes back you still put in Street instead?

What? Did you not see the deer eyes Romo had with that blitz was coming at him? He was not capable of being the hero of the game at that point despite his ego. Weeden had the offense rolling.

tecolote

Reaction score
If Dez is compromised and Street is the better option, then absolutely yes. This is one game. If we are to have any chance to do anything in the post season, we need a healthy Tony and a healthy Dez. You lose Dez and your chances of making the playoffs are severely diminished. You lose Tony and your chances are completely gone.

But the doctors had to give the go ahead, like they did with Dez in the SF game. And even so there were a couple of plays where Tony scrambled and got out of sacks and looked OK after that. I think getting a first down at the end of regulation on the 3rd and 9 from our own 5 was huge, if you fail Washington gets the ball at the 50 with 1 minute to get in FG range, at least that gave us a chance, who knows if Weeden converts that with that kind of pressure. I don't think he does.

Reactions: Coy

NickZepp

Reaction score
We weren't doing so hot with Romo in the game. Weeden lead drives resulting in 10 points; Romo 7 points. I think Romo hurt us more than helped because when Romo was in, we unexplicably abandoned the running game. With Weeden in, we seem to feature it more. :huh:
We did abandoned it a bit with Weeden too. We ran it on 2 or 3 plays the next 9 play drive. Ran it first play in OT for 8 yards then quit running it.

tecolote

Reaction score
What? Did you not see the deer eyes Romo had with that blitz was coming at him? He was not capable of being the hero of the game at that point despite his ego. Weeden had the offense rolling.

I find it funny that you just assume Weeden would've won the game. We probably go three and out with Weeden at the end and lose in regulation. At least Tony gave us a chance.

Reactions: Coy

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I find it funny that you just assume Weeden would've won the game. We probably go three and out with Weeden at the end and lose in regulation. At least Tony gave us a chance.

What chance did we have with an injured Romo with his deer eyes in the headlights during the blitz? That didn't happen to Weeden, he drove us down the field to score.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
But the doctors had to give the go ahead, like they did with Dez in the SF game. And even so there were a couple of plays where Tony scrambled and got out of sacks and looked OK after that. I think getting a first down at the end of regulation on the 3rd and 9 from our own 5 was huge, if you fail Washington gets the ball at the 50 with 1 minute to get in FG range, at least that gave us a chance, who knows if Weeden converts that with that kind of pressure. I don't think he does.

All the Doctors do is tell you if there are any structural injuries that could be worse. They don't tell you what he can physically do. They can't because they didn't have access to an MRI machine.

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
What chance did we have with an injured Romo with his deer eyes in the headlights during the blitz? That didn't happen to Weeden, he drove us down the field to score.

Okay, it didn't happen to Weeden, but every one of your posts are passive aggressive shots at Romo so just be a man and come out and say it. I would also like you to tell us that with Weeden as the week to week starter, we would go as far as Romo.

Just say it and get it over with so we know where you stand.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Okay, it didn't happen to Weeden, but every one of your posts are passive aggressive shots at Romo so just be a man and come out and say it. I would also like you to tell us that with Weeden as the week to week starter, we would go as far as Romo.

Just say it and get it over with so we know where you stand.

I'm not sure what you expect me to say. Romo should be benched until the BYE week. I'm not a Romo fan but when healthy he is the best QB on the roster. What's so terrible about any of that?

HoustonSucks

Reaction score
I didn't sleep well last night and my routine is totally off today. Totally. I know I shouldn't allow this to happen.

Thoughts are I'm sure nothing earth shattering but I feel like venting:

1. It's the Commanders - these divisional games are more than half the time CLOSE games. No matter WHAT the strength is of either team. It is what it is. After the high-octane of NOLA/GB and INDY/PITT something told me our game would be low scoring....
2. McCoy - as a Longhorn, his ability to connect did not surprise me at all. He was on CRAP Cleveland team and has had years to learn and have the game slow down for him. Will he ever be a world-beater? No. But I knew he had the capacity to beat us last night - I didn't think it would happen but I'm not shocked. So stop acting like we got beat by some rookie scrub.
3. The coaches did NOT adjust to the Commanders defensive scheme. While this sucks, one hopes they will learn from it and if any other team tries to use it as a blue print we will be ready. It's as if our coaches were shocked into an inability to move or do something. That scares me more... but again, hopefully, this is a lesson.
4. We are still 1st in the division
5. Another lesson for the coaches - do not bite the hand that feeds. You have a BACKUP QB in the redzone and the League's #1 RB? And you PASS twice? That left 4 points on the field. In Overtime, we saw this again though not in the redzone and with Tony. This more than anything infuriated me.
6. Tony was injured. Cue the haters... blah blah blah
7. Not happy with Jerry on the sidelines AT ALL
8. Murray needs to learn to GO DOWN. Screw the extra yard or two - GO DOWN.
8. We were NOT going to 15 and 1. If we were going to lose then at least let's learn from the utter fiasco of this game and move forward. Could be worse....

I'm still hoping these ARE my daddy's Cowboys... which is an AWESOME thing.... lol!

Coy

Reaction score
It's faulty logic like this that got us a loss last night. The only thing Tony proved last night is he is not the same player when he is hurt. Tony is better than Weeden when Tony is healthy. When he is hurt, you bench him and his ego and let the guy that just got you a TD win the game.

So I guess you would´ve benched him in SF in 2011, take a look to see how wrong you would have been.

Coy

Reaction score

Good point, I just watched those 3 plays and I believe you are correct:
1st Down: Run for 6 or so yards
2nd Down: The safety comes up in a hurry and causes the fumble, no way Weeden would have done anything on that play, too much pressure.
3rd Down: Tony makes a guy miss, scrambles and gets a first down, you never know what Weeden would have done but he ain´t much of a scrambler.

dallasdave

Reaction score
Well, now that we've had some time to let the loss sink in, I'm curious what the temperature of the forum is this morning. I'll start with some quick hits:

Once again, our rushing attack looked downright dominant. We gashed them on the ground all night and seemed like we were imposing our will on them. For some reason, we abandoned our identity at times throughout the game, especially at critical junctures. I was scratching my head at the lack of runs all night, and downright screaming at the TV in overtime. You have one of the best running games in NFL history. 19 carries for your stud RB? 25 carries all night in a close game? Inexcusable.

As well as he ran, that fumble was Murray's worst of the year. He was surrounded and being brought down by a sea of red inside the 10, after already ripping off an impressive play. Somewhere along the way, the notion of "fighting for every yard" became one of the most respected running back traits, but there is clearly a time and a place for it. He just doesn't seem to get it. I understand the ball getting fluke-ily knocked out by an elbow or something once in a while, but to be stood up like that in the red zone and have it stripped? Can't happen. His otherwise great game notwithstanding, losing points there likely cost us the game.

Hey, did you guys know Haslett likes to blitz us? Apparently the brain trust on offense didn't. Garrett, Linehan, Callahan, Romo... no one had an answer. It was like they didn't even have a gameplan in place for it. Romo, even before the injury, looked completely out of sorts as a result. His play action fakes were halfhearted and he was rushing the ball out.

I love Dez but he just completely disappeared last night. He has to make one of those catches in the end zone. Hopefully this quiets the Dez vs. Irvin thing for a while.

Nice to see Weedon come in and play well. I think he's better than some people realize. Yeah, he sucked in Cleveland, but with the weapons and line he has here, he could at least keep us competitive, and he brings the deep ball into play better than Romo.

The defense didn't play great, but I wasn't as angry about our defense as some people here last night. 17 points in regulation and a huge stop in OT should absolutely be enough to get it done. They had an off night; it happens. But their off night was still good enough to win. This one is on the offense generally, and the offensive coaching staff specifically.

Overall: I'm not too concerned with our team. The media and the Cowboys haters will come out in full force and say we're overrated, etc., but it's the NFL. We lost a game. I figured we'd lose a game or two we should have won. 12-4 is still a very strong possibility, and we can right the ship this weekend against AZ. This is no time to freak out.

That said, I am very concerned with the coaching staff. I thought we had established a clear identity: we will run it down your throats until you stop us. In a tough, close division game like this, we should be running the ball 30-40 times. Instead? 25 runs, 34 passes. Washington actually ran it more (31 rushes), and with less success (4.0 YPC). I hope somebody gets in Linehan's ear and reminds him how we got to 6-1 in the first place. Oh, and we face Washington again, so maybe figure out how to neutralize that blitz.

Curious to hear what others thought/saw last night.

Go Cowboys.

Oh, I thought this thread was about a morning after pill they could take to cure their problem.

ghst187

Reaction score
My 0.02
--McClain, whom I've been praising all season, turned in a terrible game…missed tackles, bad angles, just horrible
--We better figure out those exotic blitzes because philly will be doing it all game long, as probably will every other team we face
--speaking of the blitzes, where were the short routes? or why didn't we chuck one up for Dez every now and then?
--Oscan is the only decent DB we have and the only one that can cover anyone, I'd be fine keeping Carr for a fraction of the price but be looking to draft someone early
--in OT, 2nd and 2 and we pass 3 straight times? uh hello, we had around 200 yards rushing and their D was tired, ditto on 2nd and goal at the 3,
--Regarding the blitzes, seemed like the RB missed the blitz pickup some of those times
--Weeden doesn't see the field as quickly as Romo, but man he has a heater. When he lets it fly the ball is there in a lightning bolt

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
So I guess you would´ve benched him in SF in 2011, take a look to see how wrong you would have been.

No, That SF game was a different year under different circumstances. In 2011 Romo wasn't coming off of 2 back surgeries in as many years.

Romo had no business on the field after he got hurt Monday night. I love that he wanted back on the field. The coaches need to be responsible for the players in these situations. Sometimes the players have to be saved from themselves.

Coy

Reaction score
No, That SF game was a different year under different circumstances. In 2011 Romo wasn't coming off of 2 back surgeries in as many years.

Romo had no business on the field after he got hurt Monday night. I love that he wanted back on the field. The coaches need to be responsible for the players in these situations. Sometimes the players have to be saved from themselves.

Not what you wrote on your OP , you clearly stated and I quote "The only thing Tony proved last night is he is not the same player when he is hurt" " When he is hurt, you bench him and his ego" but anyway lets agree to disagree. You think Weeden wins the game for us in that situation, I don´t, guess we´ll never know.
But you should look at those 3 plays inside our 10, with Weeden in we probably punt the ball from our end zone with a minute left to play.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Not what you wrote on your OP , you clearly stated and I quote "The only thing Tony proved last night is he is not the same player when he is hurt" " When he is hurt, you bench him and his ego" but anyway lets agree to disagree. You think Weeden wins the game for us in that situation, I don´t, guess we´ll never know.
But you should look at those 3 plays inside our 10, with Weeden in we probably punt the ball from our end zone with a minute left to play.

In the present day context, I meant every word I said. It's not applicable to Romo in 2011 because he hadn't had his back surgeries yet. You only hear what you want to hear. Twisting my worst to fit your narrative is not the same as making a logical counterpoint to my point, Einstein. I watched the game just as I have watched every game for the past 40 plus years. I don't need to re-watch anything for your benefit. Weeden would have marched the ball down the field just like he did our previous two possessions. But, like you said... "we'll never know".

RS12

Reaction score
bottom line: The teams two biggest weaknesses came back to bite them. Romo's back and absolutely no pass rush.

Coy

Reaction score
In the present day context, I meant every word I said. It's not applicable to Romo in 2011 because he hadn't had his back surgeries yet. You only hear what you want to hear. Twisting my worst to fit your narrative is not the same as making a logical counterpoint to my point, Einstein. I watched the game just as I have watched every game for the past 40 plus years. I don't need to re-watch anything for your benefit. Weeden would have marched the ball down the field just like he did our previous two possessions. But, like you said... "we'll never know".

You think I wanted you to watch it for my benefit hahaha, I really, really couldn´t care less what you think, but do take a chill pill buddy.
BTW, the Einstein reference was awesome, very creative I might add.