Thursday Night Football - Patriots at Jets

Flamma

Reaction score
the first real changes came in 1978. They started to really crack down on the DBs no longer being able to actually for all intents and purposes MUG the receivers. Things like that.
It is interesting to note that Rogers last two years, 78 and 79 especially, he threw more passes than ever before; and those were his last SB year and his last year where he threw for a career high 27 tds and had a career low INT % and a career high 461 attempts.
The new rules were already having a real effect.
Was that 1978? I was wondering when the changes began. What were the first changes? I've tried to find how it changed throughout the years, and when, but I can't seem to find a site.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Was that 1978? I was wondering when the changes began. What were the first changes? I've tried to find how it changed throughout the years, and when, but I can't seem to find a site.
n 1978, the NFL further freed up receivers with the illegal contact rule, restricting contact beyond 5 yards downfield. And it loosened the interpretations of holding by offensive linemen by giving them permission to extend their arms and open their hands on pass plays

This is from the NFL Operations website

those were pretty big rule changes because a lot of the time the so called bump was like planting the WR on the turf

But I remember in 79 something about they started to really crack down on the huge hits that WRs used to get over the middle; but I cannot find the rule change

Really frustrating

Flamma

Reaction score
n 1978, the NFL further freed up receivers with the illegal contact rule, restricting contact beyond 5 yards downfield. And it loosened the interpretations of holding by offensive linemen by giving them permission to extend their arms and open their hands on pass plays

This is from the NFL Operations website

those were pretty big rule changes because a lot of the time the so called bump was like planting the WR on the turf

But I remember in 79 something about they started to really crack down on the huge hits that WRs used to get over the middle; but I cannot find the rule change

Really frustrating
LOL, years ago, even in the early 80s I believe, the ball could be 10 feet over the WRs head, and he'd get creamed. They did away with that with the hit on a defenseless WR. The problem I have with that rule is that it still applies when a WR is catching the ball. And they call it sporadically. Maybe it doesn't, but the ref call it sometimes. If a WR catches the ball, there should be no rule that states you can't hit him.

gtb1943

Reaction score
LOL, years ago, even in the early 80s I believe, the ball could be 10 feet over the WRs head, and he'd get creamed. They did away with that with the hit on a defenseless WR. The problem I have with that rule is that it still applies when a WR is catching the ball. And they call it sporadically. Maybe it doesn't, but the ref call it sometimes. If a WR catches the ball, there should be no rule that states you can't hit him.
Difference was they would start calling PF's on hits like that; overall I am thinking that it was not so much a change in the rules is that they started calling Personal Fouls on things like that a lot more often and that changed the hitman mentality you saw so much of in the era of Jack Tatum and company. IT was still a brutal game but no longer as brutal. All of that steadily made passing so much easier. It is no coincidence that Dan Marino's incredible year came in 1984. Just a second year player and he totally blew away the stats; first 5000 yard passing year and had 48 tds
That would be a pretty great year even now
but at the time it was totally unbelievable
THIS was the year that the passing game in the NFL truly came to the fore in the minds of so many.

Flamma

Reaction score
What are the Jets doing with Reddick? I had originally blamed the Jets. They knew he wanted a new deal, and that's why the Eagles traded him. But Reddick never showed up. You have to show up to get a new deal. The dude is a moron IMO.

gtb1943

Reaction score
What are the Jets doing with Reddick? I had originally blamed the Jets. They knew he wanted a new deal, and that's why the Eagles traded him. But Reddick never showed up. You have to show up to get a new deal. The dude is a moron IMO.
Is it just me or does it seem like players today are dumber than they used to be?

Flamma

Reaction score
Is it just me or does it seem like players today are dumber than they used to be?
I don't think they are dumber. I just think the opportunity to make bad decisions has increased. Years ago you really didn't have a choice if you wanted to play.

All Reddick had to do is show up to camp. They would work on a deal. He could still hold out for regular season. But show up. Otherwise he's going to lose everything.