Tiger in the hunt at another major

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The 100th PGA Championship looks to be an exciting final day with several greats on the leader board.

Masters champion Brooks Koepka leads with other former major winners lurking like Adam Scott, Stewart Cink, Jason Day and last year’s Champ Justin Thomas.

Rickie Fowler is looking for his first major and the big young Spaniard John Rahm all within distance .

But after play being suspended Friday with heavy rains many players had to finish their round early Saturday.

Tiger was one of those who closed his 2nd round on Saturday. He shot 4 under 66 then duplicated that with another 66 finishing 29 holes for the day placing him tied for 4th only 4 shots back.

He had an opportunity on #17 for an eagle from 20 feet but 3 putted for par. After birdying 4 holes on the front nine he parred the last 10 holes. He’ll need his putter to be hotter if he expects to come from behind today,

Anytime Tiger is in the mix for his 15th Major it’s going to be a top story. In his first year returning back to action he’s been more competitive than most critics figured especially after a very slow start missing some cuts. But at age 42 recovering from 4 back surgeries he still appears to have some game.

Last edited:

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Nice effort by Tiger but Koepka is a star. He may end up being better than Spieth over the next 10 years. Golf is so competitive right now, if Tiger can keep this up and continue to be in the mix, it'll be fun. Let's see if he can win one - we'll see but nothing is guaranteed given how good everyone is. Jason Day, Justin Rose, Adam Scott have been 3 of the best golfers in the world over the last 5 years and even they only have 1 major each.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nice effort by Tiger but Koepka is a star. He may end up being better than Spieth over the next 10 years. Golf is so competitive right now, if Tiger can keep this up and continue to be in the mix, it'll be fun. Let's see if he can win one - we'll see but nothing is guaranteed given how good everyone is. Jason Day, Justin Rose, Adam Scott have been 3 of the best golfers in the world over the last 5 years and even they only have 1 major each.

That's it.

15 years ago, guys would have peed their pants with Woods on their trail.

The group of golfers Tiger is facing in 2018 are a different breed.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
A phenomenal performance by Tiger. The fact he can still compete at this level is truly remarkable.

Tiger even said he didn’t know if he’d be able to come back and contend again for a major championship. There’s no longer any doubt. What a joy to watch!

Last edited:

T-RO

Reaction score
Tiger sure fires everyone up. He must have had 20 times the gallery and noise that Brooks had.

Koepka needs to work with some PR folks...get a few jokes in the bag, and some quips. He hasn’t captivated the people yet, despite 3 majors. Isn’t comfortable when microphones come his direction. He’ll earn millions more in promotional work if he can do that. I like him, but I seem to be in the minority.

Really enjoyed the golf this weekend. Adam, Cink and esp. Tiger shows the younger kids a few things.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Nice effort by Tiger, just had too much ground to make up.

If he ever gets his driver figured out he is going to be tough to beat.

When Koepka, DJ, Thomas etc are driving well they are tough to beat. Pretty much hitting driver, wedge or 9 iron into every hole.

uvaballa

Reaction score
Hopefully he can get over the Major losing hump. Many people were doubting him ever being competitive again.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Amazing round. He only hit 5 of 14 fairways and still managed a 64. Unreal.
Yep. .

Didn’t hit a fairway on front nine and shot 3 under. Then on back nine had one putt left hanging on the edge and another lip the cup for what could have easily been a 62 breaking the record for low score in a major.

64 was his career low for a final round in a major which he’s still never come from behind to win in final round .

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It was so electric seeing the fans and their support of Tiger despite some of the negative rhetoric often echoed because of his personal behavior.

As he walked across the bridge to the scoring table after his round I’ll never forget the huge wave of fans cheering him on. I’m not sure I’ve seen anything like that in Golf before. The closet comparison would be Jack on back nine in 86 at Masters.

Even some of Golfs young guns like Justin Thomas were mesmerized by the Tiger effect which many of them have never witnessed or experienced.

Tigers resurgence is truly good for the game.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Hopefully he can get over the Major losing hump. Many people were doubting him ever being competitive again.

I have said I would not be surprised if he won a couple or three big tournaments, even a major.

But catch Nicklaus?

Nope...

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
Nice effort by Tiger, just had too much ground to make up.

If he ever gets his driver figured out he is going to be tough to beat.

When Koepka, DJ, Thomas etc are driving well they are tough to beat. Pretty much hitting driver, wedge or 9 iron into every hole.

Agreed.

He didn't hit any fairways on the front 9, and the rough was really thick. But he still made 4 birdies and only 1 bogey, then did the same thing on the back.

He was actually a couple of centimeters away from a 62 and a playoff.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It was so electric seeing the fans and their support of Tiger despite some of the negative rhetoric often echoed because of his personal behavior.

As he walked across the bridge to the scoring table after his round I’ll never forget the huge wave of fans cheering him on. I’m not sure I’ve seen anything like that in Golf before. The closet comparison would be Jack on back nine in 86 at Masters.

Even some of Golfs young guns like Justin Thomas were mesmerized by the Tiger effect which many of them have never witnessed or experienced.

Tigers resurgence is truly good for the game.

I've never cared about the personal lives of these folks. Tiger was never on instagram and twitter making a spectacle of himself. Media just pick up on these things and repeat them every 20 minutes 24/7/365 until they reach a saturation point of public exhaustion.