Tiger in the hunt at another major

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It’s certainly not likely Tiger will catch Jack.

The fact he’s even competitive again is truly remarkable and the story. And every time he’s in the hunt will be the top story with the historic significance .

Tigers determination and comeback is unmatched in my lifetime and he has become the greatest story in Golf and if he had won yesterday could become the greatest story in all of sports. His ability and talent level is still one even at his age and recovering surgeries of historic proportions. And looks like the fans recognize!!

For the record he has 79 tour wins only needing 4 to pass Sam Snead’s 82. Jack won his 17th major at 42 and 18th at 46 and made a couple more closer runs in late 40’s. Greg Norman made a run in British Open in his 50’s and Watson had lead until final hole at age 59.

I certainly wouldn’t say never if Tiger can remain healthy based on what we’ve seen in his first year returning . It doesn’t appear likely he could win 4 more majors but since some courses hes familiar with set up nicely for him like the Masters and the Open I wouldn’t count him out just yet.

If it was anyone else but Tiger I’d probably consent he has no chance . But he still has some game. And if he gets his driver straightened out and gains some confidence with a win or two. Watch out cause he can still throw darts at the flag and putt.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I was very impressed by Tiger play, the guy struggled to hit fairways on his drive yet still posted 6 under on the round? Come on. His irons were on the money and his putting is coming back. Will he ever play to the level he did as a young man? No but I have no doubts Tiger will win a major and chances are more than 1 before he hangs them up.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I've never cared about the personal lives of these folks. Tiger was never on instagram and twitter making a spectacle of himself. Media just pick up on these things and repeat them every 20 minutes 24/7/365 until they reach a saturation point of public exhaustion.
Unfortunately I think the negative rhetoric towards Tiger is driven by more than just his personal bevavior.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s certainly not likely Tiger will catch Jack.

The fact he’s even competitive again is truly remarkable and the story. And every time he’s in the hunt will be the top story with the historic significance .

Tigers determination and comeback is unmatched in my lifetime and he has become the greatest story in Golf and if he had won yesterday could become the greatest story in all of sports. His ability and talent level is still one even at his age and recovering surgeries of historic proportions. And looks like the fans recognize!!

For the record he has 79 tour wins only needing 4 to pass Sam Snead’s 82. Jack won his 17th major at 42 and 18th at 46 and made a couple more closer runs in late 40’s. Greg Norman made a run in British Open in his 50’s and Watson had lead until final hole at age 59.

I certainly wouldn’t say never if Tiger can remain healthy based on what we’ve seen in his first year returning . It doesn’t appear likely he could win 4 more majors but since some courses hes familiar with set up nicely for him like the Masters and the Open I wouldn’t count him out just yet.

If it was anyone else but Tiger I’d probably consent he has no chance . But he still has some game. And if he gets his driver straightened out and gains some confidence with a win or two. Watch out cause he can still throw darts at the flag and putt.

I think Tiger will be a threat at Augusta for years if he can stay healthy. He's got a US open at pebble beach coming up. These are like home courses for him. As far a winning 4 more majors, its doable and here's why............ he is completely focused on golf for the first time in almost a decade. He went through a period where he cut back on his playing schedule and got into fitness doing marine boot camps ect. Then he had the knee and back issues. He had to work so hard to come back from that spinal fusion surgery that it had the effect of refocusing him on his sport. He saw his golf mortality and it had a profound effect on him. You can see it in his attitude on the course and in the media rooms. He's a wiser man with a pretty lethal short game. If gets his driver figured out, he's young enough to win more than 4.

Last edited:

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Unfortunately I think the negative rhetoric towards Tiger is driven by more than just his personal bevavior.

Yeah, but thats a pretty small minority and mostly Jack fans that don't want to see Tiger up on the same pedestal. The irony is that Jack himself puts Tiger on that pedestal.

When Tiger was tearing up Augusta National as a 20 something, it was the same course Jack played on and it is therefore the best measuring stick to compare the two. Jack never shot -18 or -16 to win a masters. Tiger destroyed the old course so badly that they had to change it. Tiger in the early 2000's was the best we had ever seen and even Jack said so.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yeah, but thats a pretty small minority and mostly Jack fans that don't want to see Tiger up on the same pedestal. The irony is that Jack himself puts Tiger on that pedestal.

When Tiger was tearing up Augusta National as a 20 something, it was the same course Jack played on and it is therefore the best measuring stick to compare the two. Jack never shot -18 or -16 to win a masters. Tiger destroyed the old course so badly that they had to change it. Tiger in the early 2000's was the best we had ever seen and even Jack said so.
Jack was my greatest golf idol growing up playing the game. But it’s not about rooting for Jack to maintain his record or Tiger to break it. Silly and childish rooting for one over the other.

I’m a fan of the game first enjoying the historic significance and simply watching One of the greats play as Jack eluded to.

These fans like the ones who rooted against Jack over Arnie and the ones against Tiger aren’t appreciating the gift of the sport and spirit of competition placing their personal preferences above what’s best for the game.

And no doubt based on the crowds it’s a small minority.

Last edited:

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Not sure what you watched yesterday that reaffirmed that opinion. Tiger can easily win majors if he plays like he did last week.
1. He didn't win. Close doesn't count.
2. 42 years old, 4 back surgeries. Nicklaus didn't have 4 back surgeries, and he won only 1 major after age 40, even though he won 2 at around age 40.
3. In his prime, Tiger won several majors because he had a lead and other golfers pressed and tried too hard to come back, these days the young pups aren't scared of Tiger, though they do respect him.
4. He's 4 majors behind Nicklaus, there are only 4 per year, to win 4 more by the age Jack won his last, 46, he'd have to win 25% of the 16 majors. For any golfer over 40 years old, that's a daunting task. Every year that passes when you're in your 20's or early 30's isn't such a big deal, but in your 40's, that is more significant.

Hey I could be wrong, but there's a large amount of young & talented major winners around, all those guys would have to have bad majors at once, and the numbers don't make that likely.

But we'll see, don't care one way or the other, just don't see it happening...

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
1. He didn't win. Close doesn't count.
2. 42 years old, 4 back surgeries. Nicklaus didn't have 4 back surgeries, and he won only 1 major after age 40, even though he won 2 at around age 40.
3. In his prime, Tiger won several majors because he had a lead and other golfers pressed and tried too hard to come back, these days the young pups aren't scared of Tiger, though they do respect him.
4. He's 4 majors behind Nicklaus, there are only 4 per year, to win 4 more by the age Jack won his last, 46, he'd have to win 25% of the 16 majors. For any golfer over 40 years old, that's a daunting task. Every year that passes when you're in your 20's or early 30's isn't such a big deal, but in your 40's, that is more significant.

Hey I could be wrong, but there's a large amount of young & talented major winners around, all those guys would have to have bad majors at once, and the numbers don't make that likely.

But we'll see, don't care one way or the other, just don't see it happening...

The point is that based on how he played this tourney, there is no reason to doubt him. He may be 42 with a fused back, but he can still hit 300 yards and his short game is as good as ever. He's getting better and the progression is pretty apparent.

Koepka has played by his own admission the greatest 3 month stretch of golf in his life. Does that continue? It didn't for Rory, Speith, Day, or DJ. Consistency is what most of these young players lack and thats always been Tigers forte'. When Tiger has all facets of him game working, and didn't yesterday, he is unbeatable.

No current reason to think Tiger won't last longer than Jack. He's a better athlete. I can see Tiger winning past the age of 46. The record is 18 majors not 18 majors by the age of 46. History matters less when your talking about a guy that is re-writing it.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Jack was my greatest golf idol growing up playing the game. But it’s not about rooting for Jack to maintain his record or Tiger to break it. Silly and childish rooting for one over the other.

I’m a fan of the game first enjoying the historic significance and simply watching One of the greats play as Jack eluded to.

These fans like the ones who rooted against Jack over Arnie and the ones against Tiger aren’t appreciating the gift of the sport and spirit of competition placing their personal preferences above what’s best for the game.

And no doubt based on the crowds it’s a small minority.

Personally I love watching great golf and Tiger put on one heck of a showing yesterday. There are few players on the Tour that I dislike. What I saw in Tiger was a great performance and given the fact as he said back in January he was unsure if he would even play again. After this last 2 majors he has played I am more convinced than ever Tiger is capable of winning a major. As for yesterday I give all the credit to Brooks Koepka, he was pounding drives all day long and even as Tiger and Scott stated applying pressure Koepka maintained his composer and fought off their charges but as fas as Tiger play a 6 under for a guy who hit few fairways on the day was unbelievable, most guys are not putting up a great rd if they are missing fairways.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Pretty wold that Brooks Koepka has now won three majors in short of a window.
:omg:

And no, Tiger is certainly never catching Jack.

DFWJC

Reaction score
The golfer Im by far pulling for to get his first PGA Tour win is Harold Varner III.
Not a major, just ANY PGA win.
He's a great young guy and I’d just love to see it.