Tight End?

cnuball21

Reaction score
It’s a deep group, burn no sure fire 1st rounders like OJ Howard.

Would be surprised if none are drafted in 1st round.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
So we can get Irv Smith at 58?

Wouldn't surprise me.

TE's usually don't get prioritized in the draft.

Dline, Oline, QB's, WR's, and Corners are usually what gets picked over first. Every team is looking to improve in that area and quality is hard to find.

TE's are like safeties, linebackers, and RB's.

Extreme quality will still go high and still fall a lot of the time too because teams just don't put as much value into those 4 positions.

If you want a quality lineman you have to draft them because they just fly off the board early.

cowboyec

Reaction score
more than likely one of the big 3 Hockenson,Fant,Smith...will go in Rd 1.
the other 2 probably come off before 58.
if TE is the pick...Stanford's Kaden Smith should be there...I think we go DT or S personally.
if one of the big 3 were to be there at 58...all bets are off and we likely grab him.
all things equal its a DT,S or Kaden Smith.
combine will determine it.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Imo, there are 5 TEs that will probably be worth the 58th pick (several if not all will be gone before 58). TJ Hockenson, Irv Smith Jr., Noah Fant, Kaden Smith and Caleb Wilson. I'm not sure the order of the top 3, but I'm pretty sure Kaden Smith and Caleb Wilson will be 4th and 5th.

With that being said, let's look at the last few years and where TEs have gone. Last year, the 3 TEs were drafting early, were all gone by pick 49. The 4th and 5th TEs went much later, Mark Andrews actually showed a lot of promise and was the 4th TE picked at 86th. He had a better season than at least the first 2 TEs taken. Geodert was behind Ertz so he gets a pass.

In 2017, 3 TEs went in round 1 and 5 were gone by the 45th pick. I would guess at this point that the 2019 class is better than the 2018 class, but not quite as good as the 2017 class.

In 2016, only 1 TE went before pick 58, but that was a very poor class. And the only one worth taking, Hunter Henry went at pick 35, 1 pick after we took Jaylon Smith.

In 2015, only 1 TE went before pick 58 and that was Maxx Williams at pick 55. He was a complete bust and his play is largely why Baltimore took TEs in round 1 and 3 in 2018.

In 2014, 4 TEs were gone by 52. Only one who is a really good player, is Eric Ebron who is on his second team.

In 2013, 4 TEs were gone by pick 58. This class is comparable to the 2017 class. Tyler Eifert's issues are he can't stay healthy, not that he can't play. Ertz, was the second TE taken that year with...Gavin Escobar being the 3rd. Vance McDonald was 4th and he is an okay player. Better than what we have now, but I would hope for better with our second round pick. Travis Kelce and Jordan Reed were taken later on in this draft.

All in all, I think when the talent doesn't warrant it, you can get the second or third rated TE late in the second. The problem with that, is none of those guys seemed to pan out. In the drafts with several quality TEs, you aren't guaranteed to get the 4th or 5th best guy in the late second. Personally I would strongly recommend trading up.

The Realist

Reaction score
Dead on what I was thinking and I strongly, strongly advocate trading up for a difference maker at the TE spot.

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
I like Jace Sternberger/Texas A&M in the 4th or 5th. He was a transfer from Northeastern Oklahoma A&M and only got 1 season in Jimbo's offense, but thrived there with 48 reception and 10 TDs. He's athletic and a load to bring down.

The Realist

Reaction score
I like Jace Sternberger/Texas A&M in the 4th or 5th. He was a transfer from Northeastern Oklahoma A&M and only got 1 season in Jimbo's offense, but thrived there with 48 reception and 10 TDs. He's athletic and a load to bring down.

Unless injured or positive drug test there is no chance Jace goes in 4-5. Think 2-3 rounds higher. In my opinion we might be lucky if he’s there at 58. Where do 48 catch, 10 TD TE’s who can run go in the draft.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Imo, there are 5 TEs that will probably be worth the 58th pick (several if not all will be gone before 58). TJ Hockenson, Irv Smith Jr., Noah Fant, Kaden Smith and Caleb Wilson. I'm not sure the order of the top 3, but I'm pretty sure Kaden Smith and Caleb Wilson will be 4th and 5th.

With that being said, let's look at the last few years and where TEs have gone. Last year, the 3 TEs were drafting early, were all gone by pick 49. The 4th and 5th TEs went much later, Mark Andrews actually showed a lot of promise and was the 4th TE picked at 86th. He had a better season than at least the first 2 TEs taken. Geodert was behind Ertz so he gets a pass.

In 2017, 3 TEs went in round 1 and 5 were gone by the 45th pick. I would guess at this point that the 2019 class is better than the 2018 class, but not quite as good as the 2017 class.

In 2016, only 1 TE went before pick 58, but that was a very poor class. And the only one worth taking, Hunter Henry went at pick 35, 1 pick after we took Jaylon Smith.

In 2015, only 1 TE went before pick 58 and that was Maxx Williams at pick 55. He was a complete bust and his play is largely why Baltimore took TEs in round 1 and 3 in 2018.

In 2014, 4 TEs were gone by 52. Only one who is a really good player, is Eric Ebron who is on his second team.

In 2013, 4 TEs were gone by pick 58. This class is comparable to the 2017 class. Tyler Eifert's issues are he can't stay healthy, not that he can't play. Ertz, was the second TE taken that year with...Gavin Escobar being the 3rd. Vance McDonald was 4th and he is an okay player. Better than what we have now, but I would hope for better with our second round pick. Travis Kelce and Jordan Reed were taken later on in this draft.

All in all, I think when the talent doesn't warrant it, you can get the second or third rated TE late in the second. The problem with that, is none of those guys seemed to pan out. In the drafts with several quality TEs, you aren't guaranteed to get the 4th or 5th best guy in the late second. Personally I would strongly recommend trading up.

I’d be shocked if 4 or 5 TEs go before our pick.

It’s usually the guys that can run, so my gut says Smith and Fant will likely be the 1st 2 off the board. Not sure either of them are 1st rounders but all it takes is one team to like them.

Due to the depth of the draft, I’d much rather take a guy in the 3rd or 4th.