Tim Conway, Star of The Carol Burnett Show, Dies at 85

cml750

Reaction score
RIP to one of the funniest humans to have ever lived. The man was hilarious. I used to love the way he made Harvey crack up in the skits they did together.

FloridaRob

Reaction score
YesD6tO.png

the dentist skit was pure gold. Harvey could not hold it together.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I walked up to my help desk team and I mentioned his passing and this was the response I got.

giphy.gif

All of them are way too young to recognize Tim Conway. When I go talk to my team that programs in RPG for the iSeries. They all immediately knew who I was talking about hah.

RIP Tim.
I watched old reruns, movies, etc., growing up--stuff that was created before (and sometimes WELL before) my generation. I knew celebrities/personalities like Milton Burle, Louis Armstrong, etc., whose careers had diminished by the 70's and were not featured much on television, etc.

This was before the internet. This was the time when cable started expanding nationwide. This was the age when the newspaper industry was at its peak. This was an era when a kid, growing up in rural America, had access to only 4 television channels and was lucky to get NBC on a good day and watched PBS when I was extremely bored.

Maybe my experience is not typical but I KNEW tons of celebrities/personalities growing up. Could tell anyone who they were, what they did, why they were popular, etc. Nowadays? In a time of massive information overload due to internet, 10 billion tv channels, streaming services, social media platforms, etc.? I highly doubt a respectable percentage of young people are knowledgeable of celebrities/personalities histories and careers tens years prior to them becoming self-aware.

That is an unfair generalization. I know people my own age just as blissful of history. Yes, it is hypocritical thinking it but it also amazes me how often I ask younger people about folks like Tim Conway and they have no clue whatsoever. However, ask what a Kardashian ate for lunch and you can determine their caloric intake for the meal.

Whatever.

/spontaneously useless rant

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I watched old reruns, movies, etc., growing up--stuff that was created before (and sometimes WELL before) my generation. I knew celebrities/personalities like Milton Burle, Louis Armstrong, etc., whose careers had diminished by the 70's and were not featured much on television, etc.

This was before the internet. This was the time when cable started expanding nationwide. This was the age when the newspaper industry was at its peak. This was an era when a kid, growing up in rural America, had access to only 4 television channels and was lucky to get NBC on a good day and watched PBS when I was extremely bored.

Maybe my experience is not typical but I KNEW tons of celebrities/personalities growing up. Could tell anyone who they were, what they did, why they were popular, etc. Nowadays? In a time of massive information overload due to internet, 10 billion tv channels, streaming services, social media platforms, etc.? I highly doubt a respectable percentage of young people are knowledgeable of celebrities/personalities histories and careers tens years prior to them becoming self-aware.

That is an unfair generalization. I know people my own age just as blissful of history. Yes, it is hypocritical thinking it but it also amazes me how often I ask younger people about folks like Tim Conway and they have no clue whatsoever. However, ask what a Kardashian ate for lunch and you can determine their caloric intake for the meal.

Whatever.

/spontaneously useless rant
It's not just actors and such. I think most of us even knew the majority of popular singers from well before our time as well, back then. It may sound like a generalization, but I think for the most part, people who had the internet and cable TV from a young age don't even care what came before. The advent of the smart phone just destroyed any chance of them learning about the great artists of yesteryear.

I tried to get one of my nieces to listen to something that had come out just 10 or 15 years ago, and her response was, "No, that's old."