Time is against M Parsons

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Personally, I like the new linebacker drafted by the Cowboys.

I'm a PSU alum, and my roomates brother in college played linebacker on a national championship team (and he played in the NFL).

Boo me, but growing up, I was a Eagles fan and I HATED the cowboys.

Thing is, I hated the cowboys because they were so good back then. Even to this day, I can't hold but the utmost respect for Tom Landry for the way he handled himself on the field. Heck, even now, I can respect Jimmy Johnnson even though I didn't like what I thought was his flashy style when he was with the cowboys but the fact is the man knew how to handle and motivate people LOL

Thing is, in the 70's and 80's when I watched football as a kid and young man, it was seemed it was all about the "team". Reality is, I have no clue what NFL ownership make now per TV and everything else, but today it's all about the dollars, be it you're the owner or the player.

The reason why I love M Parsons is because it seems he wanted to be a Cowboy growing up in Pa (even back in the 70 and 80's in Pa, there were fans of "Amercia's team"). Thing is, if he (Parsons) does great in his position with the Cowboys, and his contract comes up for renewal, does he stay because he wants to be a Cowboy or does he leave for the money?

Long story short, which I'm past, it seems today it's all about the money on either side.

I still remember when Elway turned down the Colts and couldn't believe it. I still don't like that guy LMAO

If he stays healthy, plays great and proves to be a difference-maker, Jerry and Stephen have shown that they will pay him. If not, he'll leave for greener pastures.

Just have to look at recent history to see that. Lawrence paid like one of the top players at his position. Elliott paid like one of the top players at his position. Prescott paid like one of the top players at his position. DeMarco Murray (injury history) allowed to walk despite coming off 2,000-yard season. Byron Jones (not a difference-maker) allowed to walk despite being considered one of the top cover corners in the league at the time. LVE's option not picked up primarily because he hasn't been able to stay healthy.

The team tries to be strategic about who it pays and who it doesn't, although it still doesn't always work out for the best.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
giphy.gif

DZSierra

Reaction score
And thought I was the only one who didn’t get it
What in the world does title have to do with story

Parsons wanted to be a Cowboy from everything I've read. I not only respect that, but actually find it refreshing.

Lets say Parsons exceeds everyones expectations, becomes a star player, and how much does it cost Dallas to keep him on the roster when his contract is up, and would pay it to keep him?

That said, Parson's could get a freak injury and he's out after the first couple of years and has become a nobody over time.

DZSierra

Reaction score
If he stays healthy, plays great and proves to be a difference-maker, Jerry and Stephen have shown that they will pay him. If not, he'll leave for greener pastures.

I see it as the "saturation point" on what a team is willing to pay for a certain position.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I've always respected Tom Landry and certain Dallas players. Mr. Jerry Jones got his superbowls, but I can't help but think he loves running a 3 ring circus.

conner01

Reaction score
Parsons wanted to be a Cowboy from everything I've read. I not only respect that, but actually find it refreshing.

Lets say Parsons exceeds everyones expectations, becomes a star player, and how much does it cost Dallas to keep him on the roster when his contract is up, and would pay it to keep him?

That said, Parson's could get a freak injury and he's out after the first couple of years and has become a nobody over time.
I hope he earns the highest contract of any LB in league history
I don’t worry about what he may cost 5 years from now. The more he costs means the more we got from him for half his career. Then I’ll worry about if I keep him or let someone else pay him past his prime

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score

I'm a PSU alum, and my roomates brother in college played linebacker on a national championship team (and he played in the NFL).

Thing is, I hated the cowboys because they were so good back then. Even to this day, I can't hold but the utmost respect for Tom Landry for the way he handled himself on the field. Heck, even now, I can respect Jimmy Johnnson even though I didn't like what I thought was his flashy style when he was with the cowboys but the fact is the man knew how to handle and motivate people LOL

Thing is, in the 70's and 80's when I watched football as a kid and young man, it was seemed it was all about the "team". Reality is, I have no clue what NFL ownership make now per TV and everything else, but today it's all about the dollars, be it you're the owner or the player.

The reason why I love M Parsons is because it seems he wanted to be a Cowboy growing up in Pa (even back in the 70 and 80's in Pa, there were fans of "Amercia's team"). Thing is, if he (Parsons) does great in his position with the Cowboys, and his contract comes up for renewal, does he stay because he wants to be a Cowboy or does he leave for the money?

Long story short, which I'm past, it seems today it's all about the money on either side.

I still remember when Elway turned down the Colts and couldn't believe it. I still don't like that guy LMAO
I'll let you in on a little secret - there was no free agency back in the day - players were "loyal" and stayed with their team cause they had
no choice.

DZSierra

Reaction score
He hasn't even practiced yet?

For Parsons, no clue.

When you read about what some people think he will do for the team after he was drafter on this forum, you'd think he's the second coming of Christ. He's only one guy of many on defense.

He tears a tendon couple years from now and can't play 100%, the same people will think he was the second coming will think he was a bum.

Just need to put things in perspective.

However, from what I've seen and how he want's to play for Dallas, at this point in time, it's refreshing to see a highly rated player wanting to play for the team that drafted him (unlike Elway LMAO).

DZSierra

Reaction score
I'll let you in on a little secret - there was no free agency back in the day - players were "loyal" and stayed with their team cause they had
no choice.

Was that business model wrong? Did the team ownership back then take advantage of the players? I would think so, but don't know that for a fact. Is it the team that matters or is it the money that matters (question to both players and ownership).

As much as I admired (now that I'm older) and hated (as an Eagles fan growing up) Roger Staubach as a man and as a player, I had the same respect and admiration for Bill Bergey even though they play on two different teams.

Loso86

Reaction score

I am now confused?

DZSierra

Reaction score
What in the hell is going on?

Short story, don't believe Parson's is the Messiah to win a superbowl for the cowboys, and don't think he's a bum if things don't play out the way you wish them to.

Personally, I'll be rooting for him.

Big_D

Reaction score
For Parsons, no clue.

When you read about what some people think he will do for the team after he was drafter on this forum, you'd think he's the second coming of Christ. He's only one guy of many on defense.

He tears a tendon couple years from now and can't play 100%, the same people will think he was the second coming will think he was a bum.

Just need to put things in perspective.

However, from what I've seen and how he want's to play for Dallas, at this point in time, it's refreshing to see a highly rated player wanting to play for the team that drafted him (unlike Elway LMAO).

I think he's a talented football player and you have to add as many of those as possible. And in 2 drafts, the've done a nice job of it. Injuries happen but he's healthy right now.

He's definitely a nice addition to a LB corp that needed additions. Same with Jabril Cox and Keanu Neal. It's never one guy.. it's finding the right combination of guys! And that combination definitely wasn't here before Parsons so we'll see if he changes that.

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
Was that business model wrong? Did the team ownership back then take advantage of the players? I would think so, but don't know that for a fact. Is it the team that matters or is it the money that matters (question to both players and ownership).

As much as I admired (now that I'm older) and hated (as an Eagles fan growing up) Roger Staubach as a man and as a player, I had the same respect and admiration for Bill Bergey even though they play on two different teams.
If you were a owner, you loved that business model - you had control of the player for something like 10 years which was basically his whole career, if you were a player - not so much...

And yes the Cowboys reportedly were cheap with their players.

Is it the team that matters or is it the money? - Well back then owning a team was more of a status symbol now...we all know its about the money.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Ever since I was a kid following the NFL, never once did the NFL put a penny in my pocket.

So why do I consider myself a fan and why do I hope for one team to beat another team?
Bragging rights. :thumbup:

CWR

Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time, but you are simply presenting the same argument every single team has with their best players.

I can only hope he is good enough for this to become an actual issue. If he is I have no doubt he will remain a COWBOY.

DZSierra

Reaction score
Thing is, I cant wait for Parsons to put a stamp on Phillys QB,, whoever that is...

Even when Parson's is playing against Philly, I'll root for the man. No different than when Arrington played for the Commanders.