Time to get realistic about what the Cowboys may do if FA!

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Everytime some big name guy is mentioned as possibly becoming a FA everyone seems to get their panties in a bunch and say we need this guy. Well I'm sick of all the wild speculation, its time to be realistic. This is my list of who I think the Cowboys may be interested in. Keep in mind, it is my opinion that Parcells will continue to favor his former players and I doubt we go after more that 1 or 2 high priced guys.

1. Jason Fabini, RT - Hugh team need, former Parcells guy, experienced, should not break the bank after coming off injury.

2. Jerald Sowell, FB - Former Parcells guy, would be upgrade, supposedly Parcells just loves the guy, would be the classic Parcells FA move.

3. Kevin Mawae, C - Former Parcells guy, huge team need and big upgrade. I just don't see us spending the big $ on Bentley. Mawae is the next best option and makes more sense.

4. Willie McGiniest, LB - Rumored to be cut and I think Parcells would be immediately interested. Exactly what we need at LB. This all depends on him being released and I really don't see any other LB's we may be interested in. With resigning Fujita, we may just look to the draft if someone like McGiniest doesn't become available. Peterson, I think will be too expensive for us to consider.

5. Vanderjagt or Longwell, K - Hugh team need, should come cheaper than Vinitieri and who really believes he will leave New England.

6. Milloy or Coleman, S - Team need, former Parcells guys, will come cheaper that Hope or Demps. Too much money in the secondary already. One of these makes more sense to me.

7. Terrell Owens, WR - This is where I think its possible the team will make a big splash and spend some money. Not saying I want it, but I think theres a chance we go cheap on a few other positions to make this happen.

Now, these are in no particular order and I'm not saying we make all these moves, these are the guys I think are realistic at the positions of need. I also think OL, S, LB, DT and WR-KR will be addressed in the draft. Please add your thoughts as I'm sure I have missed a few guys that would fit my criteria.

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
I think we'll get Fabini, Corey Chavous, Matt Bryant and either resign Fujita or Akin Ayodele from Jacksonville. I know they are older vets, but I have heard Mickey said that Jerry and Bill are going to go for it this year, so No big money for guys like Chris Hope.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
AmishCowboy said:
I think we'll get Fabini, Corey Chavous, Matt Bryant and either resign Fujita or Akin Ayodele from Jacksonville. I know they are older vets, but I have heard Mickey said that Jerry and Bill are going to go for it this year, so No big money for guys like Chris Hope.

If anybody pays big money for Hope, they are silly. You don't pay a FS big money.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
AmishCowboy said:
Hope only 25, we know someone will cough it up.

Dwight Smith was only 26 and way better. He only signed for a $3.5 million signing bonus with the following salaries:

2005 900000.00
2006 1200000.00
2007 1600000.00
2008 2500000.00
2009 3500000.00

I certainly wouldn't pay Hope more than that (and I actually really like Hope).

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Cowboys22 said:
Everytime some big name guy is mentioned as possibly becoming a FA everyone seems to get their panties in a bunch and say we need this guy. Well I'm sick of all the wild speculation, its time to be realistic. This is my list of who I think the Cowboys may be interested in. Keep in mind, it is my opinion that Parcells will continue to favor his former players and I doubt we go after more that 1 or 2 high priced guys.

1. Jason Fabini, RT - Hugh team need, former Parcells guy, experienced, should not break the bank after coming off injury.

2. Jerald Sowell, FB - Former Parcells guy, would be upgrade, supposedly Parcells just loves the guy, would be the classic Parcells FA move.

3. Kevin Mawae, C - Former Parcells guy, huge team need and big upgrade. I just don't see us spending the big $ on Bentley. Mawae is the next best option and makes more sense.

4. Willie McGiniest, LB - Rumored to be cut and I think Parcells would be immediately interested. Exactly what we need at LB. This all depends on him being released and I really don't see any other LB's we may be interested in. With resigning Fujita, we may just look to the draft if someone like McGiniest doesn't become available. Peterson, I think will be too expensive for us to consider.

5. Vanderjagt or Longwell, K - Hugh team need, should come cheaper than Vinitieri and who really believes he will leave New England.

6. Milloy or Coleman, S - Team need, former Parcells guys, will come cheaper that Hope or Demps. Too much money in the secondary already. One of these makes more sense to me.

7. Terrell Owens, WR - This is where I think its possible the team will make a big splash and spend some money. Not saying I want it, but I think theres a chance we go cheap on a few other positions to make this happen.

Now, these are in no particular order and I'm not saying we make all these moves, these are the guys I think are realistic at the positions of need. I also think OL, S, LB, DT and WR-KR will be addressed in the draft. Please add your thoughts as I'm sure I have missed a few guys that would fit my criteria.

i think parcells needs to put all this "blankies" down and realize players who have NOT played for him can still be good players. the vast majority of your picks are all former BP guys - just how far do we take that?

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
To have an offensive line that features 5, 30+ year-olds starting makes me physically ill.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Thats the whole point of the post. I was trying to be realistic and we all know Parcell's MO is to go after his former players. Well there are alot of those guys out there this year at positions of need for the team and I believe thats who the team will go after instead of all these high priced big named guys.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Cowboys22 said:
Thats the whole point of the post. I was trying to be realistic and we all know Parcell's MO is to go after his former players. Well there are alot of those guys out there this year at positions of need for the team and I believe thats who the team will go after instead of all these high priced big named guys.

oh, i can't say i disagree with you and hopefully he'll pull a "henry" and get a solid pickup that's young and NOT a "parcells guy".

if as a coach parcells is on his last run, then his "players" (aka bp guys) have to be on theirs as well. i'm just not on the "load up on a bunch of vets and wa-la" superbowl bandwagon and view this "one shot wonder" stuff as a waste of time and good years.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
MichaelWinicki said:
To have an offensive line that features 5, 30+ year-olds starting makes me physically ill.
That is what happens when all your O-line draft picks don't pan out and you have to rebuild through FA.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
big dog cowboy said:
That is what happens when all your O-line draft picks don't pan out and you have to rebuild through FA.

And then to have 30+ year olds at both WR spots and at QB is just too much and I can't believe that would make for a legitimate Super Bowl contender.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
MichaelWinicki said:
And then to have 30+ year olds at both WR spots and at QB is just too much and I can't believe that would make for a legitimate Super Bowl contender.
Don't worry Mikey. BP will fix everything. :D

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:

and don't leave out you've not got a backup qb w/experience cause he'd never give 'em any OR get a qb w/experience.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
big dog cowboy said:

I also think an offensive line needs to play together for a while to be effective I think the constant changing of players doesn't do old guys any good not too mention the young ones liek Petitti, Johnson, Gurode.

At some point you just have to let the young guys play, like Peterman.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
iceberg said:
and don't leave out you've not got a backup qb w/experience cause he'd never give 'em any OR get a qb w/experience.

I'm feeling ill all of a sudden.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
As long as they protect and block I could care less if they are 80+

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:
As long as they protect and block I could care less if they are 80+

odds and percentages. flo went out. rivera hurt most of the year. your injury probability goes up and if you "count" on them your success % goes down.

it's a longer shot to go this route than to plan for the long haul.

Bizwah

Reaction score
Realistic.......that's tough.

Jones was on the NFL Network and pretty much said that we'd be after OL. And while I agree that 5 30+ year olds on the OL is a sickening prospect, we have an opportunity in the draft to add some exciting prospects.

We'd have a nice blend of youth and vet leadership.

Here's what I think:

1. Fabini (OT)
2. Mawae (C)
3. Ayodele (LB)--although, may not be a priority
4. Coleman (FS)
5. Bryant (K)
This is likely.....

I'd love to see this: (I'll still try to be realistic)

1. Ashworth (OT)
2. Mawae (C)
3. Peterson (LB) may be too small for our tastes
4. Hope (FS)
5. Longwell (K)

I'd love to see this in the draft:
Trade down for an extra second. I really hate drafts that predict trades, but this is possible if one of the top RBs is available.

1st: Carpenter
2nd: Whitworth
2nd: Joseph
3rd: Marshall (I think this is the type of WR we'll draft....developmental, that can play special teams).

Not a bad first day.....probably not likely....I think we'd be set up nicely.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
If we could get either Bentley or Mawea, Milloy and one of the 3-4 good RT's available, I will be happy