Time to look reality straight in the eye, Henson probably isn't coming back from NFLE

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
And I don't mean the admin, Reality. :D

Fellas, I know we all wanted Drew Henson to be our next Aikman or Staubach. There's something about having a franchise QB in Dallas. It just feels like it was meant to be. After wasted draft picks or salaries on previous baseball projects such as Quincy Carter or Chad Hutchinson, it's safe to say that we were all hoping this was the Jerry Jones QB project that finally worked. But it didn't.

Looking at Drew Henson from the perspective of someone who isn't a Cowboys fan or didn't watch him play at Michigan:

-- Lost his job in the QB backup depth chart to an UNDRAFTED ROOKIE FREE AGENT with only one more year of experience.

-- Sent to NFL Europe, a place usually reserved for 3rd string QBs at best, and usually only journeymen who go from training camp to training camp hoping to land a job.

-- Looked like complete crap in his NFL debut. So much so that the coach felt compelled to bring in a 40 something year old veteran in the 2nd half to try and win the game.

Now looking at him from the perspective of a Cowboys or Wolverines fan, we can all say that five years ago he had some great potential, that no one that removed from football should be expected to perform quickly, that many rookies are failures in their NFL debut, and any excuse you can think of -- but it doesn't look good.

NFL Europe is not the haven for players that NFL teams want to keep. I think the Cowboys are looking for Drew Henson to display some talent that they have yet to see. If Henson lights it up in NFL Europe and perhaps wins MVP like some of the other QBs that have played under his offensive coordinator, maybe he'll come back. But I think Jerry and Bill have already started looking at rookies in the draft or potential veteran free agents to replace him. I think we're going to Romo as our #2 and someone in the draft as the #3, or maybe Dustin Long or another intriguing training camp rookie from last year. I feel if Henson doesn't have a miraculous outing in NFL Europe, he's gone like Chad Hutchinson. :(

yesfan

Reaction score
I hear ya.But you have to think,or atleast hope, Romo really
has something.I can't imagine Parcells going into a season without
a viable option.Well,atleast not a kicker and a quarterback..Lol.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Most people haven't been able to look reality in the eye since we acquired Henson.

Fact is he hadn't played football in years, so he was a long shot from the start.

That said, I haven't given up on him. Like I just said, he hadn't played football in a long time. It takes time to get back into it. Especially when you're doing at a level you've never faced before. If he's to ever be anything, it won't be for another couple of seasons, at the earliest.

BlueStar II

Reaction score
You may well be hitting the proverbial nail right on the head. While I, like others on here, have been hopeful that Henson would develop into something more by now, I am now more inclined to think that Henson is merely another one of those guys who may have the physical attributes of a QB, but that may be where it ends. Of course we all know that he hasn't had too many opportunities so far, but from what I have heard/seen regarding him, I really can't say that I'm optimistic about him anymore. I'll be "shocked" if he's still with us in training camp, or late into training camp anyway. I have a feeling that he's being sent to NFLE just so that when he turns in, what I feel will be a fairly average..."at best"...season over there, Valley Ranch will use that as a justification to release him and go with someone else. I think Henson is doing nothing more than treading water now, etc..

jimmy40

Reaction score
yesfan said:
When has Parcells NOT gone into a season without a viable option here in Dallas? Hell, he does it every year.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Henson has a guaranteed contract. It is really cheap for a 3rd string developmental qb and that makes him a bargain. Now if you cut him you have to pay the contract out and take the cap hit and that isn't a bargain. Jerry would never give up on him this quick anyway, they've only had him two years. Thats not much time at all to develop a qb.

NorTex

Reaction score
Yet another thread on our 3rd string QB...stop the madness!

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Henson has so much rust on him to expect anything from him in Europe is practically crazy. Considering he has had ZERO chance to really show us anything as a Cowboy, I can't believe how many people are writing him off. He needs time to develop. He isn't costing us much. Setting a deadline or saying "if he plays like crap in Europe we should cut him" isn't reality based thinking. Yeah I know he hasn't proven he can do the job but you know what, he hasn't proven he can't either. To much drama for a 3rd string QB.

HardHittin'Witten

This ain't Madden
Reaction score
if we cut Henson, who is going to back up Bledsoe when we trade Romo to the Saints for the #2 pick?

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
For a 3rd stringer, this guy gets a lot of threads, more so than roger the dodger and troy aikman, this is hilarious.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
And I don't mean the admin, Reality. :D

Fellas, I know we all wanted Drew Henson to be our next Aikman or Staubach. There's something about having a franchise QB in Dallas. It just feels like it was meant to be. After wasted draft picks or salaries on previous baseball projects such as Quincy Carter or Chad Hutchinson, it's safe to say that we were all hoping this was the Jerry Jones QB project that finally worked. But it didn't.

Looking at Drew Henson from the perspective of someone who isn't a Cowboys fan or didn't watch him play at Michigan:

-- Lost his job in the QB backup depth chart to an UNDRAFTED ROOKIE FREE AGENT with only one more year of experience.

-- Sent to NFL Europe, a place usually reserved for 3rd string QBs at best, and usually only journeymen who go from training camp to training camp hoping to land a job.

-- Looked like complete crap in his NFL debut. So much so that the coach felt compelled to bring in a 40 something year old veteran in the 2nd half to try and win the game.

Now looking at him from the perspective of a Cowboys or Wolverines fan, we can all say that five years ago he had some great potential, that no one that removed from football should be expected to perform quickly, that many rookies are failures in their NFL debut, and any excuse you can think of -- but it doesn't look good.

NFL Europe is not the haven for players that NFL teams want to keep. I think the Cowboys are looking for Drew Henson to display some talent that they have yet to see. If Henson lights it up in NFL Europe and perhaps wins MVP like some of the other QBs that have played under his offensive coordinator, maybe he'll come back. But I think Jerry and Bill have already started looking at rookies in the draft or potential veteran free agents to replace him. I think we're going to Romo as our #2 and someone in the draft as the #3, or maybe Dustin Long or another intriguing training camp rookie from last year. I feel if Henson doesn't have a miraculous outing in NFL Europe, he's gone like Chad Hutchinson. :(

If Henson lights it up in NFL Europe, it will jump start his career... if he doesn't, it will likely spell the end of his career...

The simple act of going the NFLE is NOT the end of his career, though... this is an opportunity for him, and now his future is entirely in his hands... I want the guy win the MVP over there this year...

Then, I want the Boys to trade him, 'cause they've just drafted Vince Young... LOL...

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Rack said:
Most people haven't been able to look reality in the eye since we acquired Henson.

Fact is he hadn't played football in years, so he was a long shot from the start.

That said, I haven't given up on him. Like I just said, he hadn't played football in a long time. It takes time to get back into it. Especially when you're doing at a level you've never faced before. If he's to ever be anything, it won't be for another couple of seasons, at the earliest.

You're almost always right, Rack... :D

billknows

Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:
Henson has so much rust on him to expect anything from him in Europe is practically crazy. Considering he has had ZERO chance to really show us anything as a Cowboy, I can't believe how many people are writing him off. He needs time to develop. He isn't costing us much. Setting a deadline or saying "if he plays like crap in Europe we should cut him" isn't reality based thinking. Yeah I know he hasn't proven he can do the job but you know what, he hasn't proven he can't either. To much drama for a 3rd string QB.

What he said,..Hey I like the kids chances

ghst187

Reaction score
the kid was great at Mich, I was excited to get him. I thought he'd really come on. Maybe he still will. Wish he could get back those wasted years in baseball. Maybe the Dallas coaching has hurt him I don't know.
But I do think that NFLE is make or break for him as a Cowboy. If he doesn't light it up, I think we look for someone else. I'm hoping Brady Quinn next year in the draft.

Zippy Speedster

Reaction score
Great post Trublue, I totally agree with everything you have to say about Henson.

But personally I came to this conclussion, long ago. :lmao2:

And point to add that you missed; When yanked from that game for the 40 year old ageless wonder, lets not forget Vinny was also sitting the game out because he was banged up to begin with. So in essesnce Henson stunk up the place SO BAD that Parcells brought in his only viable option on the team at quarterback back into the game---and he was injuried! Parcell's is not going to risk sacraficing the rest of the season UNLESS HE'S REALLY DISPLEASED! That would be like him passing 60x a game, everygame, which just isn't supposed to happen.

Vertigo_17

Reaction score
Well, I guess I'm in the minority of those who haven't given up...yet. Sure, I wanted to see something sooner, but he came here as a project that was going to take time. Also, as someone mentioned - he's very affordable for a QB project, so no sense waiving him just because.

Another point made reference to losing his job to Romo - who's another "project" but that obviously has shown something to command a 2Million dollar payday. He seems to have developed some skills, although I'd like to see him get some playing time before he gets "rusty" :)

Bledsoe's good for another season and Romo or Henson are under contract - so we have another season to figure things out. If neither one work out, we can think FA or draft for QB...until then, we have problems (OL, FS, LB) that need to be addressed first.

HTownCowboysFan

Reaction score
Rack said:

Agreed -- completely. I never understood the love for this guy? People making graphics with him, Aikman, and Roger was nonsense.

Dude was a gamble that doesn't look like it will pay off. I've took that approach with him from the beginning.

notherbob

Reaction score
yesfan said:

Love your avatar. Unless I miss my guess, that's Crux Australis and the top star is Gacrux, which can be seen as far North as South-central Texas and is a key part of a pictograph at Paint Rock, Texas. It was the harbinger of winter and summer for the local Indians back in the day before we foreign invaders came.

We'll find out a lot more about Romo this off-season during the Rookie and QB camps, etc. as he'll get a lot more snaps then with Henson in Europe. Hopefully we will be able to get a Rhein Fire game or two on TV and we can see how Drew is doing over there. T.C. and pre-season should be great to watch this year.

I'm also chompin' at the bit to see what FA and the draft bring us in the way of Oline reinforcements and a kicker with self-confidence. Of course, we gotta have a new CBA first or it will be a whole new world with new rules. :eek: