Time to look reality straight in the eye, Henson probably isn't coming back from NFLE

Reaction score
I still have faith in Henson however I look at it like the old saying......"easy come, easy go". I agree with several other posters......patience, patience, patience. :hammock:

AbeBeta

Reaction score
What is it that BP warns against -- being an instant evaluator.

Why did we sign Henson to an 8-year contract? Why did we put in voidable years if Henson played extensively? Because Henson is here to be developed.

People compare Henson and Hutchinson too much. Hutch's last chance was in Europe. For Henson, it is just to get him some snaps. If anything these guys are being treated in opposite ways -- Hutch was thrown to the wolves and ruined by Jerry's impatience. Henson is going to continue to be developed slowly.

CowboyManDan

Reaction score
This thing is he just has to PLAY.
Parcells doesn't have the patience to go with an inexperienced QB, so he's not going to play in Dallas while Parcells is here. So logically, the only place to get playing time is NFLE.

I do agree that teams typically don't send players there (especially QB) that they hope to be a starter some day. But in this case, it could be just for the playing time because they think with Bledsoe and Parcells around, he's not going to play more than preseason. If he plays poorly, I do hope they draft a guy...actually I hope they draft a QB regardless.

Look, the thing is if we weren't going to play the guy and see what we have in him...whether he was ready or not, then we should NOT have spent a 3rd round pick and a garanteed contract with him. I mean you do that with guys you are going to play. Maybe back then Parcells told Jerry that he wouldn't play a young QB, but Jerry was just chomping at the bit to get another young QB with a possibility in here. It's no secret Jerry and Parcells see the QB position differently. And I have to say I'm on Jerry's side of it. Guys like Carter and Hutchinson, they amounted to nothing....but you know what, we tried them and took a chance cause of the possibility of developing a bigtime QB young like Aikman was. To get a young good QB, you have to take chances. And often times that means taking a chance with a high draft pick. But then it needs to be followed up with taking the chance of letting him play and filling in players around him as fast as you can.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
abersonc said:

Why did we sign Henson to an 8-year contract? Why did we put in voidable years if Henson played extensively? Because Henson is here to be developed.

People compare Henson and Hutchinson too much. Hutch's last chance was in Europe. For Henson, it is just to get him some snaps. If anything these guys are being treated in opposite ways -- Hutch was thrown to the wolves and ruined by Jerry's impatience. Henson is going to continue to be developed slowly.

Henson is getting paid like the 6th round pick he was. The voidable years were negotiated in by Henson. He had hoped to reach incentives that would have voided his contract so he could get NFL QB money.

As it stands hes making 3rd year minimum money of like $350K. While Romo is making almost a $1M and received bonus $ last season.

This is not going the way Dallas or Henson had hoped it would. Year 3 and he's playing in NFLe battling it out with Timmy Chang for playing time. He has a chance to make an impact over there, but at age 26 the clock is ticking on him.

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
Nors said:
Henson is getting paid like the 6th round pick he was. The voidable years were negotiated in by Henson. He had hoped to reach incentives that would have voided his contract so he could get NFL QB money.

As it stands hes making 3rd year minimum money of like $350K. While Romo is making almost a $1M and received bonus $ last season.

This is not going the way Dallas or Henson had hoped it would. Year 3 and he's playing in NFLe battling it out with Timmy Chang for playing time. He has a chance to make an impact over there, but at age 26 the clock is ticking on him.

Nors you realize there is more guaranteed money in Hensons contract than Romo has made since he came into the NFL right??

Battling Timmy chang LMAo

leotisbrown

Half Fast Analysis
Reaction score
Give Henson a chances. He just got a much rust on him from them years of baseball.

A few off seasons of work and he'll be ready to light things up for us.

Remembers he has one of the strongest of arm strength since E;way in his prime. Plus he went to Michigon so we no he has some smarts on him.

Give the kid a brake. He'll be just fine when we needs hin in a couple of seasons from this next season.

I has the faith!!

Chuck 54

Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:
Henson has so much rust on him to expect anything from him in Europe is practically crazy... I can't believe how many people are writing him off.
Do those two statements make any sense together? You think it's crazy to expect him to do anything in Europe, but you can't believe how many people are writing him off???!!!

Why don't we just start signing guys in middle school and pay them till they develop into a decent player by their 20's.

This is madness...I think Henson is a loser, and I never expected a former baseballer with almost no football in college to ever be worth a crap...yet I still hope I'm wrong and he does light it up in Europe...then we'd have hope that maybe he'll be ready in another year or two to compete.

I don't care how rusty you are...if you can't do anything in NFLE, you will never do anything and don't deserve to even be on a practice squad...period.

Bledsoe4MVP

Benched
Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
And I don't mean the admin, Reality. :D

Fellas, I know we all wanted Drew Henson to be our next Aikman or Staubach. There's something about having a franchise QB in Dallas. It just feels like it was meant to be. After wasted draft picks or salaries on previous baseball projects such as Quincy Carter or Chad Hutchinson, it's safe to say that we were all hoping this was the Jerry Jones QB project that finally worked. But it didn't.

Looking at Drew Henson from the perspective of someone who isn't a Cowboys fan or didn't watch him play at Michigan:

-- Lost his job in the QB backup depth chart to an UNDRAFTED ROOKIE FREE AGENT with only one more year of experience.

-- Sent to NFL Europe, a place usually reserved for 3rd string QBs at best, and usually only journeymen who go from training camp to training camp hoping to land a job.

-- Looked like complete crap in his NFL debut. So much so that the coach felt compelled to bring in a 40 something year old veteran in the 2nd half to try and win the game.

Now looking at him from the perspective of a Cowboys or Wolverines fan, we can all say that five years ago he had some great potential, that no one that removed from football should be expected to perform quickly, that many rookies are failures in their NFL debut, and any excuse you can think of -- but it doesn't look good.

NFL Europe is not the haven for players that NFL teams want to keep. I think the Cowboys are looking for Drew Henson to display some talent that they have yet to see. If Henson lights it up in NFL Europe and perhaps wins MVP like some of the other QBs that have played under his offensive coordinator, maybe he'll come back. But I think Jerry and Bill have already started looking at rookies in the draft or potential veteran free agents to replace him. I think we're going to Romo as our #2 and someone in the draft as the #3, or maybe Dustin Long or another intriguing training camp rookie from last year. I feel if Henson doesn't have a miraculous outing in NFL Europe, he's gone like Chad Hutchinson. :(

Even a miraculous outing won't save Henson at this point. Face it he is a bust and Jerry Jones made a mistake with this one just like he did Quincy Carter. It's time for Henson to either go back to the minors in baseball or start bagging groceries. He dont' have what it takes to be an NFL QB that's for sure.

Bottom line is there's not enough room for two Drew's on this team. Henson's fate was sealed the day Bledstudsoe was signed. End of story:cool:

Dallas31

Reaction score
when Henson is the cowboys starting qb opening day 2007 I will remember this post...

;)

Bledsoe4MVP

Benched
Reaction score
Dallas31 said:
when Henson is the cowboys starting qb opening day 2007 I will remember this post...

;)

If Bledsoe suffers a career ending injury or retires than maybe the Cowboys will be desperate and resign Henson from waivers. But considering Drew is geared up to make a deep run in the players this season, your scenario is a mere fantasy. :mad:

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Nors said:

You make it sound like the voidable years were Henson's idea. That would seem pretty standard given the length of the deal -- the long-term deal was necessitated by the rookie cap -- the voidable years are a standard tradeoff for this type of deal -- the player is giving up several years of potential free agency without a big money SB.

That wasn't some sort of hardball Henson was playing -- it was just a basic part of this kind of deal.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
ctalker said:

and that's all that needs to be said in reply ;)

Henson signed an 8-year contract, and it's been publicly noted by JJ that it's going to be a process with him, the Cowboy's braintrust weren't expecting Henson to get it down and start showing them anything until a few years, as evidenced by his contract, the Cowboys watch him in practice, so they have some sort of idea where Henson is at, and that's at the point that he needs more game experience, which he isn't going to get behind Bledsoe, this isn't Henson's last chance, it's just the next step in the development process

sorry, this NFLE conspiracy thing just doesn't fly

but don't get me wrong, it would be good for him to do well, and I think he will

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
abersonc said:

:hammer:

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Nors said:
This is not going the way Dallas or Henson had hoped it would.

from Henson's point of view, yes, but how do you know from the COwboy's point of view?

oh that's right...you're full of schat

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Bledsoe4MVP said:
Even a miraculous outing won't save Henson at this point. Face it he is a bust and Jerry Jones made a mistake with this one just like he did Quincy Carter. It's time for Henson to either go back to the minors in baseball or start bagging groceries. He dont' have what it takes to be an NFL QB that's for sure.

Bottom line is there's not enough room for two Drew's on this team. Henson's fate was sealed the day Bledstudsoe was signed. End of story:cool:

:jerk:

yeah, that's why Bledsoe was only given a 3 year contract that can be voided after 2

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Henson just can't win

if he fails in NFLE, "he's a loser! rabble rabble rabble!"

if he does well, "look at Dave Ragone, what did that get him in the NFL?"

gotta love those instant evaluators huh abersonc? hehe

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Zippy Speedster said:
So in essesnce Henson stunk up the place SO BAD that Parcells brought in his only viable option on the team at quarterback back into the game---and he was injuried!

he didn't bring in Romo, and he was healthy! :eek: