Time to quit dunking on Jason Garrett

Mk2_Cowboys

Reaction score
giphy.gif

Batman1980

Reaction score
I was beyond tired of Garrett but most of my dogging on him is over. It will definitely come back out if McCarthy finds instant success in Dallas, particularly past the wild card round.

bewp7

Reaction score
well, to be fair no one is criticizing jason garrett the man or the person, they are cowboys fans dunking on jason garrett the coach who objectively was terrible at his job.

it's also probably petty on my part but i do question wether he was really giving his best effort when he is going to dodgers games during the bye and his team was underachieving and playing poorly yet again last season or whenever that was. i know it's just one incident and everything.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Yes, Jason Garrett needed to be fired, and the Cowboys needed to move on to another coach. Now that they've settled on Mike McCarthy, it is time to quit dunking on Jason Garrett. Whatever else you may say about Garrett, he gave the Cowboys 20 years of dedicated service, and although he came up short, no one can honestly say he didn't give it his best effort.

The vast majority of "fans" gloating over his firing couldn't come close to being as professional as Garrett, and couldn't coach the team better than Garrett did. It is sad that he didn't become what Jerry Jones hoped he would be.

Sometime in the future, Garrett may get another chance elsewhere. At that point, we'll find out if Garrett was really the issue and is truly just a mediocre coach, or if Garrett was too hamstrung by Jerry Jones to have a true opportunity to be successful. Whatever the case, it clearly wasn't working for Dallas. Quite frankly, I don't know if it was Garrett, or if the Cowboys coaching environment is so toxic that no one can be successful. I do know (along with everyone else who is gloating) that Garret and Jones weren't getting it done together in Dallas, and that Jones isn't leaving. So Garrett had to go.

But I think the man deserves more respect than many are giving him. He has been a dedicated Cowboy for a long time, and his family has been associated with the Cowboys for even longer. Surely, that service deserves more respect than what some fans are dishing out.
Truth

nobody

Reaction score
I believe that while he was hamstrung by Jerry to some extent, he was an equal partner in his lack of post-season success here. He made too many coaching mistakes over the years. It is what it is. If he goes elsewhere, I have no doubt I'll be proven right about his not having what it takes, but I wish him well in whatever he chooses to do in the future as long as it isn't with the Cowboys.

Time to move on.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
People hate Garrett cause they buy in to the hype machine then fall short of a SB. What's sad is how bad Jerry is directly responsible for undermining Garrett especially in 2019.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
People hate Garrett cause they buy in to the hype machine then fall short of a SB. What's sad is how bad Jerry is directly responsible for undermining Garrett especially in 2019.
I'm not even that upset about this year because I didn't really expect much. Garrett never does anything in odd numbered years. This was 10 years of failure.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I'm not even that upset about this year because I didn't really expect much. Garrett never does anything in odd numbered years. This was 10 years of failure.

It's always something. Too bad Jerry put some really dumb coaches in place. Bloom was benched the last few weeks and he's being retained as a scout instead of being fired for making our LB's regress to highschool Calibre players.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Naw screw Garrett, he deserves every bit of this for sandbagging Wade

Yep. People still forget this. He intentionally sabotaged the offense to get Wade fired. That's a fact. He knew he was next up in line and knew Jerry revered him dearly. Heck, he was hired before Wade got here. He was not leftover on the staff. We hired our OC before our HC. Delusional. Garrett is a slimeball professionally. Can't speak on his personal life and frankly don't care about it. As a football coach, he is god awful.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Yep. People still forget this. He intentionally sabotaged the offense to get Wade fired. That's a fact. He knew he was next up in line and knew Jerry revered him dearly. Heck, he was hired before Wade got here. He was not leftover on the staff. We hired our OC before our HC. Delusional. Garrett is a slimeball professionally. Can't speak on his personal life and frankly don't care about it. As a football coach, he is god awful.

Several players have said as much... Garrett is a POS... good riddance...

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
But I think the man deserves more respect than many are giving him. He has been a dedicated Cowboy for a long time, and his family has been associated with the Cowboys for even longer. Surely, that service deserves more respect than what some fans are dishing out.

Was Garrett a dedicated Cowboy, or a dedicated Garrett?

His choices were always marked by what was best for Garrett. He was consummate corporate middle management, managing his career over the organization.

We've put up with him for almost 15 years. We're due some extended dunking.

Let the joyous news be spread!

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Garrett was doomed the minute Dak took the field as a rookie. His 10 years as HC peaked in Green Bay when Dez dropped that catch. It's been a slow 5 year death since.

I think Dak extended Garrett's Cowboy career. The end of the Romo Era was the natural time to move on from Garrett. But magically we got Dak for nothing, and he had a huge season, giving a rationale for not rocking the boat.