Time to revisit the hipdrop tackle after Dak dodged injury last night

FanofJerry

Reaction score
That second replay is exactly what the "anti-regulation" crowd tries and side steps.

That replay its obvious. The tackle is putting players in harms way. And players are mentally quick enough to avoid tackling like that.

CWR

Reaction score
Dak is a strong qb. It's not easy to take him down, so I feel for defenders. That said this tackle is dangerous.

Cmac

Reaction score
That kind of tackle is bad. Been saying it all year. Tyreek Hill got lucky. The tackle ain't safe in the NFL or college (FSU QB).

Staubacher

Reaction score
There was no need for Hutchinson to tackle Dak like that.

Also, I think Tyron was not 100%. He did not look like himself. He seemed kind of stiff.
More like an aging lion going against a young fierce foe.

Qcard

Reaction score
Dak is a strong qb. It's not easy to take him down, so I feel for defenders. That said this tackle is dangerous.
That is exactly why they need to eliminate the tackle....So we can protect QBs (ALL) with different sizes.

Reactions: CWR

RonWashington

Reaction score
Hutchinson is trying to bring a strong athletic QB to the ground what am I missing . The horse collar is a penalty hitting at the knees is a penalty now the DL wrestling Dak to the ground is a no go ? It’s like the idiotic “ taunting “ penalty . Pretty soon strong eye contact will be called 15 yards for intimidation.

:huh::espn:

Cmac

Reaction score
Hutchinson is trying to bring a strong athletic QB to the ground what am I missing . The horse collar is a penalty hitting at the knees is a penalty now the DL wrestling Dak to the ground is a no go ? It’s like the idiotic “ taunting “ penalty . Pretty soon strong eye contact will be called 15 yards for intimidation.

:huh::espn:
You may understand until you see an Alex Smith/Joe Theismann injury again.

RonWashington

Reaction score
You may understand until you see an Alex Smith/Joe Theismann injury again.

No I understand those were severe injuries but if Hutchinson is trying to get Dak to the ground and a 230 LB man is resisting what should the defender do ?

RonWashington

Reaction score
By the way Aaron Glenn is to be praised he’s got that Lion D playing well . He should be in the conversation for HC interviews for 24 , over Johnson the OC who people gush over .

FanofJerry

Reaction score
No I understand those were severe injuries but if Hutchinson is trying to get Dak to the ground and a 230 LB man is resisting what should the defender do ?
He should ask where is reinforcements are. Its a team game, not Hutchinson on his own.

Dont make excuses for unnecessary violence.

The players are quick enough mentally to avoid tackling like this.

Cmac

Reaction score
Yep....it's a tough call. The hip drop is a modified horse collar tackle.....defender weight falling on legs/ankles that might be in awkward position for injury......that could yield gruesome injury. Safety committee needs to revisit that move.

RonWashington

Reaction score
He should ask where is reinforcements are. Its a team game, not Hutchinson on his own.

Dont make excuses for unnecessary violence.

The players are quick enough mentally to avoid tackling like this.

Reinforcements ? So Hutchinson has Dak in his grasp trying to get a resisting player to the ground and he’s supposed to look for “ reinforcements “ ? :facepalm:

DripTooHard

Reaction score
Reinforcements ? So Hutchinson has Dak in his grasp trying to get a resisting player to the ground and he’s supposed to look for “ reinforcements “ ? :facepalm:
This was Hutch’s MO. He never attempted a different technique. He went straight for the hip drop.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
Intentionally launching your full body weight onto the back of the legs of a ball carrier isn't the answer.