Time to revisit the hipdrop tackle after Dak dodged injury last night

JBS

Reaction score
Dak fumbled on that second one too. Heads up play by Steele who get beat to pick up the ball. Nobody else was aware

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I know I know. The OL needs to block better. But...

x1000

I was gonna make a post about this but was too lazy to try and find the clip.

Dak (and the team) avoided major catastrophe on that play.

There was one replay from the sky cam that looked like his leg was bent weirdly (like when he broke his ankle) and I thought the broadcast was just late in picking up the injury. Glad that wasn’t the case.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Reinforcements ? So Hutchinson has Dak in his grasp trying to get a resisting player to the ground and he’s supposed to look for “ reinforcements “ ? :facepalm:
Better than snapping some ones leg unnecessarily. Tackle the guy in a way that doesnt increase risk of serious injury or look for reinforcements.

Easy enough. There are 10 other guys on the field with Aiden. Usually there are 3-to 5 others right by him.

But dance around it. Wordsmith your way around it. Side step it. Its the usual.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I think even the horse collar is legal inside the tackle box. I don't think the rule would change that.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
No I understand those were severe injuries but if Hutchinson is trying to get Dak to the ground and a 230 LB man is resisting what should the defender do ?
Agreed. I’m all for getting rid of the hip drop but you need a reasonable technique that guys can use in place of it. Tough to tackle the Dak Prescott’s and Josh Allen’s of the world

NeverBeGameOver

Reaction score
Eh...It's a rough sport, or at least it's supposed be. There's more than enough rules that neuter defenses already.

TheHerd

Reaction score
They’ll add a rule when a northeast team or 49er player breaks a leg.

Blitzen

Reaction score
Yeah, I don’t think there is a good way to officiate this. Big QB’s already have enormous advantages because of protective rules regarding their position. They fight like mad to stay up and continue passing. Then you tell the defender you cannot grab the guy around the waist and become dead weight, cause the other guy might get his legs caught underneath the defender.

Tell the QB’s and ball carriers to go down without fighting so hard and almost all the injuries of this kind go away. Offense gets every single advantage, so those in favor will likely get what they want. The sport is inherently violent and people will get hurt during tackling.

erod

Reaction score
Geez, it used to be football. Now we have hip drop and horse collar nonsense.

RonWashington

Reaction score
Better than snapping some ones leg unnecessarily. Tackle the guy in a way that doesnt increase risk of serious injury or look for reinforcements.

Easy enough. There are 10 other guys on the field with Aiden. Usually there are 3-to 5 others right by him.

But dance around it. Wordsmith your way around it. Side step it. Its the usual.

Hutchinson has a job get the QB to the ground he’s not looking for “ reinforcements “ . Plays are over in a matter of seconds . Fans are unrealistic as to what’s going on . This is a violent fast sport . No time to look for “ 10 “ other guys .

RonWashington

Reaction score
Ever watch Josh Allen ? Takes three guys to bring him down if a player resists and is fighting to keep the play alive not sure what the defender is supposed to do . His job is end the play .

FanofJerry

Reaction score
go watch the replay...there was no need for Hutchinson to drop like dead weight. he had dak wrapped up.

side step it though

Brax

Reaction score
I know I know. The OL needs to block better. But...

Can’t hit him high can’t hit him low, can’t put your weight on him, can’t touch his head, can’t throw him to the ground,can’t use your forearm how are you supposed to tackle a big QB.

Flamma

Reaction score
Well, defensive lineman have to make sure they don't land on the QB or they get a personal foul.

If anyone thinks the game is a flagfest now, go ahead and make the hip drop illegal. The game will be unwatchable.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Tacking a player is now dirty ? Wow
I bet you thought Mike Tyson biting a dudes ear off in a boxing match made sense.

I bet you are a Draymond Green apologist. Kicking dudes in the balls during a bball game is just alpha mentality to you. Its a war and not a game to you. Everyone else is playing a game...not a war.

If you dont care about player safety...there is nothing more to argue. We agree to disagree. The tackle is avoidable at no cost to the defense. The players are mentally quick enough to adjust and not drop weight after having a player wrapped up.

YES or NO? Aiden HAD TO drop like dead weight like that after having Dak wrapped up? There was no other recourse? None at all? It would have been a touchdown if Aiden didnt drop to the ground? No dancing...just yes or no?

If yes...I just assume players go for the knees on other players to get them out of the game...because winning. Their job is to win...so taking players knees out will most likely result in an injury which helps their team win. Its about winning, right. So stupid to argue against player saftey

BoysfanfromCanada

Reaction score
Can’t hit him high can’t hit him low, can’t put your weight on him, can’t touch his head, can’t throw him to the ground,can’t use your forearm how are you supposed to tackle a big QB.
Dak has been sacked multiple times this year. 99% without dropping the entire weight on his legs. You're acting like it was a db and not an end sacking him.

Mcsports

Reaction score
Hutchinson is a top flight defensive end. He can wrap up and drive through , doesn’t need bone breaking angle techniques to finish the job.
Of course he tried to trip Pollard at the 2-minute mark too. Dirty sucka

RonWashington

Reaction score
I bet you thought Mike Tyson biting a dudes ear off in a boxing match made sense.

I bet you are a Draymond Green apologist. Kicking dudes in the balls during a bball game is just alpha mentality to you. Its a war and not a game to you. Everyone else is playing a game...not a war.

If you dont care about player safety...there is nothing more to argue. We agree to disagree. The tackle is avoidable at no cost to the defense. The players are mentally quick enough to adjust and not drop weight after having a player wrapped up.

YES or NO? Aiden HAD TO drop like dead weight like that after having Dak wrapped up? There was no other recourse? None at all? It would have been a touchdown if Aiden didnt drop to the ground? No dancing...just yes or no?

If yes...I just assume players go for the knees on other players to get them out of the game...because winning. Their job is to win...so taking players knees out will most likely result in an injury which helps their team win. Its about winning, right. So stupid to argue against player saftey

Watch Golf there is no contact . The Mike Tyson analogy is absurd . Your too sensitive .