Video: Time wasted on last punt was on MM

DandyDon52

Reaction score
this is good video, bit repetitive but good points on MM and his bad clock mgmt, and it includes the last play too.
This guy says MM should have had the punt team ready on sideline, to run in snap quickly ,,and punt to save as much time as possible, and be able to use
the 2 min warning as a to so as to have more time and maybe 1 to to use on the last drive.

on the last play, this was so poorly designed and executed , it is embarrassing !!!!!!!!!!!!
look at the cowboys at top of screen, they dont do anything !! lol
zeke gets pancaked
the guys at the bottom do nothing but watch turpin get nailed, and lamb was running a route deeper, to take defenders away from turpin, but
he should have run a go route instead of to the middle .
Someone guys at bottom , should have been with turpin to shield or block for him so he doesnt get nailed so quick, and then some behind to lateral to.
but there was none of that lol
This is worse than the last play last year!

I bet the niners hope they play cowboys again in playoffs next year?

Last edited:

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Yea, ironically, Shanahan wasted a ton of time going into the half, but no one wants to speak to that.

My biggest gripe with the coaching staff was to allow the loss of Pollard to box them into relying on Dak to win the game. For better or worse, they should have given Davis some carries to find a spark. What is the worst thing that could have happened, a loss?

aikemirv

Reaction score
this is good video, bit repetitive but good points on MM and his bad clock mgmt, and it includes the last play too.
This guy says MM should have had the punt team ready on sideline, to run in snap quickly ,,and punt to save as much time as possible, and be able to use
the 2 min warning as a to so as to have more time and maybe 1 to to use on the last drive.

Should have just gone for it!

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Yea, ironically, Shanahan wasted a ton of time going into the half, but no one wants to speak to that.

My biggest gripe with the coaching staff was to allow the loss of Pollard to box them into relying on Dak to win the game. For better or worse, they should have given Davis some carries to find a spark. What is the worst thing that could have happened, a loss?
was davis even suited up for the game? if so he should have taken pollards place.

lukin2006

Reaction score
That was a terrible 3 minutes of football. MM should have been fired for that nonsense...he has no clue how to game manage...instead, we are going to be stuck with him and our best coach, Dan Quinn will be gone. That's the Dallas way ... that's why this team is so inept.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Yeah there's far too many instances of this weird thing where the only time we burn the clock effectively is when it hurts us to do so. I wish we could save time on the clock like we do when it benefits the other team.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

on the last play, this was so poorly designed and executed , it is embarrassing !!!!!!!!!!!!
look at the cowboys at top of screen, they dont do anything !! lol
zeke gets pancaked
the guys at the bottom do nothing but watch turpin get nailed, and lamb was running a route deeper, to take defenders away from turpin, but
he should have run a go route instead of to the middle .
Someone guys at bottom , should have been with turpin to shield or block for him so he doesnt get nailed so quick, and then some behind to lateral to.
but there was none of that lol
This is worse than the last play last year!

I bet the niners hope they play cowboys again in playoffs next year?

This team is very weak at situational football.
This falls under the category of attention to detail.
This team has a very low football IQ.
This falls on coaching.

bigE79

Reaction score
Sybil Could have had 2 minutes left and all time outs and we still wouldn't have scored, probably would have thrown a pick 6 instead,like he should have did the previous drive.

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
I was thinking that too, but they were at own 23 and needed 10 yards.
if they fail game is over, but as it turned out that would have been better than what happened.

So punting was the best option, just needed to do it quickly.
Dear Dandy,

I'm sure everything you have posted is relevant and contains good information. However, I never seem to make it to anything you post when I see the picture above your name.

Please reconsider this so I can enjoy future posts.

Thank You

lkelly

Reaction score
Anyone getting their panties in a bunch over the last play is clearly just throwing a tantrum. The game was lost well before then. Absent a total breakdown by San Fran (which seems to happen once a decade overall in the NFL), Dallas wasn't scoring from that part of the field even if they had been allowed to field 15 players on offense. It was over once Shultz decided to play college football on the sideline.

Carson

Reaction score

He wasted a lot of time because they didn’t think they would score. They would not have if our defense doesn’t leave Jennings wide open on 3rd down

raven55

Reaction score
don't worry after not doing his bs show and lil jerry not doing his show, they think that people's memory will be short on hamburger mike's total screw-up on this game ending the season. Remember 2021 clock management has it gotten any better NO, has the team been coached to get rid of penalities NO, Has hamburger mike stopped thinking about Whataburger during the game NO, has he got control of the team everybody knows the answer to that question NO, jerry's making the decisions. So if jerry fires mike he would have to fire the jones family. there like a kid with a toy that's broken they keep fiddling around and fiddling around never fixing it and when someone comes up and can fix it they put the 2 year old frown on and then say it's mine and then they run away like a little spoiled kid no wonder jimmy left and any coach worth his salt would never come here. STEPHEN A. is right obnoxious and arrogant organization may it rest in peace because the super bowls are in the grave yard. but don't worry a stupid thing is coming in april when you can see the jones dumb and dumber sitting around in there draft room trying to drum up excitement and still don't know what there doing shades of al davis. CALL the EAGLES and get some advise

Pass2Run

Reaction score
The worst part is, the higher percentage play, to win the game, was NOT punting it. You go for it on 4th and 10 there, and the chances of winning are higher than they are if you punt it. But if you are going to punt it, then, yeah, you want to have your punt team ready before you punt.

And this brings me to the 104 dollar question: what exactly does Mike McCarthy do?

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I was thinking that too, but they were at own 23 and needed 10 yards.
if they fail game is over, but as it turned out that would have been better than what happened.

So punting was the best option, just needed to do it quickly.

If you're going by the percentages, nope, going for it was the higher percentage for wins, statistically..and I didn't even need to see stats to know that. You punt it, the game is essentially over, because there's no time left.

You go for it, plain and simple.

As far as Shannahan going for it, he did that because he wanted to make half-time adjustments and come out to run out the clock with the lead without turning it over before the half, which is what they did.

Creeper

Reaction score
It's not just McCarthy wasting time, if that was even McCarthy's fault. But the Cowboys are just bad at 2 minute offense. First, let's start with Dak, again. Dak cannot take a sack there. He has got to get rid of the ball somehow. Throw it at someone's feet if he is not open. But this is one of the things that makes me believe Dak has a low football IQ. But it gets worse. They waste time on the punt. But then they get the ball back and on the first play, Dak almost takes a sack in teh end zone for a safety. In fact I have no idea why the 49ers player had him but let up. I supposed he thought Dak got rid of it or something. But still, running around in the end zone invites a holding penalty, a sack, and it wastes time. Look for the receiver and if it's not their throw it away somewhere. We are not done. The next play Dak hits should for a decent gain so he doesn't have to throw from his own end zone. But Schultz nonchalants his way to the sideline and take a hit which forces him backwards and out of bounds. The clock keeps running! Schultz isn't done. They get lined up and Dak hits Schultz again on the sideline for 15 yards getting them closer to Hail Mary yardage. But this time Schultz gets on foot down and nonchalants the other foot. No catch and the Cowboys lose time and yardage. This was awful stuff with such an important game on the line.

Then comes the last play. First, why was Zeke at Center? What was the point of that? I have seen some analysis of the play and it has been suggested that Turpin would catch the ball and lateral it back to Dak and the hook and ladder would ensue but with beefy blockers in front. my Guess is Turpin laterals back to Dak who runs to the left sideline then throw it across the field where there are more linemen to clear a path. I think the expectation is the 49ers defense would drop back so Turpin had time to catch the ball and then lateral. When they saw the 49ers not drop deep Dak should have just run with the ball as it it had been lateraled back to him then he could have thrown it across the field. I don't think it would have worked but what would at that point? At least it may have gotten something going instead of Turpin being taken right to the turf

But I still ask why was Zeke at C?