Titanic tourist submersible goes missing with search under way

gtb1943

Reaction score
I think this is a pretty good depiction of what could have happened, but it looks the the pressure chamber collapses like it was metal. I assumed carbon fiber would shatter or break. Still, it would have been quick, really quick.
so fast that they would not have had time to blink. Now we will never know if the alarm system was operative at that time. I hope not. Then their last moments would have been as terrible as it can get.

rags747

Reaction score
Evidently they had received alarms, they attempted to resurface by dropping ballast. Obviously not successful Enough in a timely manner.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I really feel for the teenage kid. He apparently was very reluctant to go on the trip but went as a birthday gift for his dad. Imagine them being terrified about the danger and the having it come to fruition.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
I really feel for the teenage kid. He apparently was very reluctant to go on the trip but went as a birthday gift for his dad. Imagine them being terrified about the danger and the having it come to fruition.
The good news is that he likely didn’t even know what happened.

rags747

Reaction score
Yes that is what his aunt or his fathers sister has said. His mom pretty much refutes that whole line of thought. The mom at least has a daughter left.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Evidently they had received alarms, they attempted to resurface by dropping ballast. Obviously not successful Enough in a timely manner.
It's as safe as crossing the street except they all forgot to look both ways..

gtb1943

Reaction score
Not sure why this is funny, but you obviouslg want a cookie. Everyone was saying that. It could have also been the plexiglass...and a dozen other things.
Actually at least one poster mentioned the plexiglass or whatever it was.

and no one else thought it was a publicity stunt

Flamma

Reaction score
Transcript of descent, Real or Fake?

I saw that. This is what I got from the video.

It suggests the sub was taking on water early in its descent. From noise heard in the aft, and sinking faster than normal. The real time monitoring system was obviously not designed to detect that, just noise in the hull. Once the sub reached a depth that put strain on the hull, the RTM went off. By that time it was too late. They were too deep and took on too much water. That's basically what that video is suggesting.