TJ Hockenson Declares!

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Swaim is set to be a free agent and it’ll be interesting to see what happens with him. I have a feeling the team/coaches/FO likes Swaim and would prefer to resign him to a modest deal. It’ll be interesting to see what other offers he may get that may price him out.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
The Draft Network's scouting report on TJ Hockenson...

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2019/01/16/2019-nfl-draft-player-profile-t-j-hockenson/

..courtesy of Kyle Crabbs (@GrindingTheTape on Twitter)

Route Running – Arc releases at the LOS are effective to filter out from in-line alignment. Very smooth and natural at the top of his routes. Has shown versatility on stick routes, deep crossers, delays, seam routes, motioned flat routes, etc to provide ample impact in the air.

Hands – Wonderful softness in hands to ensure he’s snaring the ball. Caught a wet ball well (PSU, 2018) without gloves. Has softness to his hands to ensure he’s not jarred and missing the nose of the football in contested situations.

Versatility – A do it all TE prospect. Well versed in life as an in-line blocker, perfectly comfortable in pass protection and has excelled in that area. RAC monster, catch point winner, in-line TE with vertical ability. A true X-factor weapon.

Contested Catch Ability – Has high pointed a few (Indiana, Wisconsin 2018) balls with good sturdiness as contacted and strong hand-eye coordination. Well developed frame and catch radius flash and allow him to be a bail-out option in tight coverage situations.

Run After Catch Ability – More of a second gear than you’d expect for his stature, has blown through pursuit angles on more than one occasion and made defenders look silly. Has hurdled more than one defender in the open field as well. Powerful, difficult to wrestle down at the catch point.

Power At POA – One of the most tenacious blockers I’ve ever laid eyes on. The foot urgency and finishing skills are tremendous, will bury DEs and OLBs alike. Effective to collapse or wash down and ensure there’s a soft edge for ball carriers.

Competitive Toughness –Love his play demeanor. Is a player you’d love to clone ten of for your offense. Functional strength is exceptional, as is his relentlessness to get under the pads of defenders. Works hard to reset his hands and establish his base to uproot.

Flexibility –His lower half moves well, but he isn’t the free moving athlete that his teammate (Fant) is. Plays with control and fluidity, graceful in efforts to pivot sharply. Shows effective leverage and pad level as a drive blocker in the run game.

Balance –Blocking balance is terrific, shows an ability to play sticky on lateral contact and work his feet to leverage himself appropriately relative to the play. Will make far angled blocks look easy with how smooth he is scraping across the face to reset the hook.

Football Intelligence –Impressive polish for just a redshirt sophomore, wins in ample ways and does so not just with unique and special athletic skills but also from a technical standpoint as well. Should experience a lesser transition to the NFL, given his in-line pedigree.

BEST TRAIT – Versatility

WORST TRAIT – Deep Speed (I guess?)

BEST FILM – Wisconsin (2018)

WORST FILM – Penn State (2018)

RED FLAGS – None

T.J. Hockenson is one of the easiest/hardest evaluations of my season. Hockenson is terrifically balanced as a football player and it doesn’t take more than a few reps to know he’s an immediate starter at the NFL level with scheme diversity. The challenge for Hockenson’s tape? Listing a weakness. Hockenson is comfortable in any number of roles, giving comfort that he’ll be fine in WCO or vertical passing offenses alike. He’s a scheme transcendent prospect.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Swaim is set to be a free agent and it’ll be interesting to see what happens with him. I have a feeling the team/coaches/FO likes Swaim and would prefer to resign him to a modest deal. It’ll be interesting to see what other offers he may get that may price him out.

There will be 20 Geoff Swaims on the open market.

John813

Reaction score
when was the last time a TE went top 10?

Ebron in 14 @ 10 to the Lions.
Vernon Davis back in 2006.

Possible, but he would need to a freakish combine for that IMO.

Especially since the Lions didn't get the Ebron the Colts had this year.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I like T.J., just not sure I see the 1st round buzz. He’s arguably the lost complete TE, but the guys getting drafted in the 1st are usually the ones that can run. At first glance, he looks to have average speed and my guess would be a 40 in the mid / high 4.7s.

RS12

Reaction score

1. Scout's Quote: "He's the best tight end in the class. Better than his teammate [Noah Fant] as a three-down player. He's a real tight end. Powerful, fast, good hands, great blocker. I'd draft him top-15 in this class."

The Mackey Award for the best tight end in college football went to a player few outside Iowa City knew when the season began. T.J. Hockenson became a household name soon after the opening kickoff.

Sharing targets with another first-round talent in Noah Fant, Hockenson still became recognized as a unique talent and dominant player in the Hawkeyes offense. He's versatile enough to move around the formation while showing excellent ability as a blocker.

His 49 catches in 2018 might not sound like a lot, but Hockenson showed excellent feel and hands to earn those receptions and his six touchdowns. It's a statement about his overall game that with only 49 catches he was still named the best tight end in football.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...biggest-risers-in-the-2019-draft-class#slide6

reddyuta

Reaction score
I doubt he will last till our pick,i would think a DT ora Center(if Tfred cant get his strength back) is more likely.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ok, who wants to give up next year’s one to go get a TE in one this year?

Looks like my TJ Hockenson dream might be over.

The Rams made it to the Super Bowl with Tyler Higbee as their TE...

Meanwhile, the Patriots and Rams 3rd interior type DL might be better the Cowboys best DT.