TJ Watt

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I think he ends up getting drafted before 28. But, everything I've seen I really like. He's a very athletic, explosive, long and angulra athlete that has been coached very well.

YR

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
He's never played a full season and I don't think he'd able to at his size.

He's not exactly a shining example to point to.

I will say that Watt appears like he has a lot of room for more weight, so he can probably get much bigger
Danielle hunter is the exact same size as Watt. 4-3 starter, right? I'm just sayin y'all gotta stop just saying anything

Western

Reaction score
At the 28th selection, would there be a highly ranked player than Watt?
11.5 sacks in 2016 only as a 1 year starter, learning the position in a powerhouse conference -- there is upside and a positive projection based on that fact alone.
Also plays against the run well -- 63 tackles, 15 of those for a loss.
But I agree, if he is coachable, and combined with his work ethic, why would he not be worth the 28th pick (assuming his medical is cleared)?

Absent a quality trade offer, Watt would be worth the 28th pick.

tm1119

Reaction score
I think Watt is a 3-4 OLB and it has nothing to do with size. It's because his burst off the snap is only average and he doesn't have the bend to get around OT's. I think he'll make a really solid 3-4 OLB in the Connor Barwin mold. Beast against the run, can cover the flat, great motor, and enough pass rush and motor to contribute 6-8 sacks a year. But putting his hand in the dirt and beating OT's isn't his specialty imo.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
at 6'04" 252 I think he can be effective in the 4-3

Sources Tell Us
"He looked a lot stronger and a lot more confident on tape this year. He needs to get bigger, but he's already a strong guy. I can see him standing or playing base end for a 4-3 team. He's going to keep getting better." -- Midwest area scout for AFC team
NFL Comparison
Paul Kruger
Bottom Line
A long-limbed effort rusher who posted impressive numbers against the run and pass in just one year as a starter. He is a tireless worker who pursues from snap to whistle and his brother, J.J., will be a tremendous resource for technique and pass-rush plan. While he is unlikely to win a race to the edge, he's a plus run defender who can get to the quarterback with plus hand work and relentless effort.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
If you believe Broaddus, he is being evaluated by Dallas as an OLB.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
My problem with this is its easy to say 'a 3-4 lb and a 4-3 De are basically the same', but in reality, you're asking a small guy to take a beating every game every snap from men who outweigh them by 60 lbs.

We can say Crawford can play Dt, or Ware can play De, but when you subject them to that punishment they get hurt a lot more and make plays a lot less.

Just looking at last year's Pro Bowl roster:

Defense end: Khalil Mack*, Raiders; Cameron Wake*, Dolphins; Jadeveon Clowney, Texans

Outside linebacker: Von Miller*, Broncos; Lorenzo Alexander*, Bills; Brian Orakpo, Titans

Defensive end: Everson Griffen*, Vikings; Cliff Avril*, Seahawks; Michael Bennett, Seahawks

Outside linebacker: Anthony Barr, Vikings; K.J. Wright*, Seahawks; Thomas Davis*, Panthers

K. Mack 6-3/250
C. Wake 6-3/263
J. Clowney 6-5/270

V. Miller 6-3/250
L. Alexander 6-1/245
B. Orakpo 6-4/257

E.Griffen 6-3/273
C. Avril 6-3/260
M. Bennett 6-4/274

A. Barr 6-5/255
K. J. Wright 6-4/246 (non-edge player)
T. Davis 6-1/235 (non-edge player)

Again, TJ Watt would be fine. He's 22, 23 maybe. He will get bigger than 252 lbs. with football becoming a full-time job.

This is why you are seeing football people using the terms "Edge Player" and "Interior DL" more and more.

Alexander

Reaction score
Then he won't be drafted
Certainly not by us.

I don't see the problem. He is just as active and good at doing what we need in terms of rushing the passer as some of the others we are looking at. I also don't get why he would be considered an OLB in our scheme, which would basically be considered a non-priority position.

At the end of the day, they are probably going to end up looking at some good rushers and say, well, they are not better than what we have with Mayowa, Lawrence, etc.

ksg811

Reaction score
I'm personally not super high on Watt but I am on Takk Mckinley and it's the same argument regarding DE vs. OLB. Whether it's from a 2 point stance or a 3 point stance, they're going up against the same guy. Even the rush OLBs have their hand in the ground in sub packages, which is now >50% of snaps for the most part. If you're a weakside pass rusher, you're facing the LT whether you're a 3 point DE or a 2 point OLB (presuming the TE is on the right). They're matching up against the same guy so I don't get the "facing bigger guys" argument - it's moot.

Alexander

Reaction score
I'm personally not super high on Watt but I am on Takk Mckinley and it's the same argument regarding DE vs. OLB. Whether it's from a 2 point stance or a 3 point stance, they're going up against the same guy. Even the rush OLBs have their hand in the ground in sub packages, which is now >50% of snaps for the most part. If you're a weakside pass rusher, you're facing the LT whether you're a 3 point DE or a 2 point OLB (presuming the TE is on the right). They're matching up against the same guy so I don't get the "facing bigger guys" argument - it's moot.
Not weighing Watt v. McKinley because I think McKinley has superior tools to work with, but how can anyone evaluate Watt and see an OLB, yet consider McKinley a real DE?

Watt shows very good hand usage, can grab and rip and has a good variety of pass rush techniques. McKinley acts like he is wearing mittens half the time.

Point being is that I really hope they are not just lumping the undersized/out of profile into a bucket and then looking at the LDE types like Charlton etc. which we have all over the place.

ksg811

Reaction score
I personally see Watt more as a DE than an OLB. 3-4 rush OLB is equivalent to a DE in my eyes. Watt wouldn't really come in as an OLB to cover a TE or drop back into a zone, he would be a pass rusher and a guy setting the edge against the run, same responsibilities as a 4-3 DE. Watt does have some good rush moves and is still very raw as an edge defender and is clearly a quick and willing learner given his quick 2 year rise at a new position. I just don't see any kind of elite skills that sets him apart, but he'd be a DE in Dallas, I would hope.

I just think Mckinley has superior traits to be a true speed rusher at RDE, something the Cowboys sorely need. It's also come out he's been playing for 2 years with that torn labrum he just had surgery, so you've got to wonder how much that may have affected his ability to hand fight and use his arms for leverage. Either way, that's all technique that can be taught, what you can't teach is that elite burst he has off the snap, his closing speed, and his non-stop motor.

ghst187

Reaction score
Tj looks like a great college player but looks like a third rounder IMO with not a lot of headroom before hitting his ceiling.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't see that as an option at 28. Too early.

Leadbelly

Reaction score
Feels like a safe option for the front 7 at 28. His floor is high and has an all-around game. Not someone you have to worry about either. All football.

If it's four years from now and he busted, it will be due to injury rather than his game. That's his kryptonite.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Just looking at last year's Pro Bowl roster:

Defense end: Khalil Mack*, Raiders; Cameron Wake*, Dolphins; Jadeveon Clowney, Texans

Outside linebacker: Von Miller*, Broncos; Lorenzo Alexander*, Bills; Brian Orakpo, Titans

Defensive end: Everson Griffen*, Vikings; Cliff Avril*, Seahawks; Michael Bennett, Seahawks

Outside linebacker: Anthony Barr, Vikings; K.J. Wright*, Seahawks; Thomas Davis*, Panthers

K. Mack 6-3/250
C. Wake 6-3/263
J. Clowney 6-5/270

V. Miller 6-3/250
L. Alexander 6-1/245
B. Orakpo 6-4/257

E.Griffen 6-3/273
C. Avril 6-3/260
M. Bennett 6-4/274

A. Barr 6-5/255
K. J. Wright 6-4/246 (non-edge player)
T. Davis 6-1/235 (non-edge player)

Again, TJ Watt would be fine. He's 22, 23 maybe. He will get bigger than 252 lbs. with football becoming a full-time job.

This is why you are seeing football people using the terms "Edge Player" and "Interior DL" more and more.
Most teams play 70% in subpackages and most run those in a 4 man line. 4-3, 3-4 is so overblown these days