TJ Watt

gmoney112

Reaction score
I stand corrected but same premise. There's about 3/4 inch difference in height and arms.

JJ 6'5 34'' arms and TJ has 6'4 33 1/8.

I agree he's not done yet and probably fills out at 265

Yep. I've warmed up a little to him. I haven't watched him enough to really tell if his pass rush 'bend' is more from footwork problems or not, like Bosa's were. But, lately I've noticed Jordan Willis just had bad footwork when pass rushing which is why i'd take him over Watt right now.

I have come to the conclusion that Watt basically does have everything you want in a prospect. I ask myself one question with 1st rounders, "Do I see themselves producing at a high level for 8 years?"

With Watt, I don't think that'd be a problem. He may not light it up his first year (not many do), but I think he could have a Kerrigan type career if most of his responsibility is just attacking the LOS.

rambo2

Reaction score
JJ watt is 6'5 290 with a 35'' inch arms. TJ Watt is also 6'4.5 with 34.5 inch arms. He's 252 now and can easily add 15-20 lbs to his frame. He's faster & more athletic then JJ and seems like he has the same fire.

Talk about the miss of the decade if we pass him up and he turns out to be an all-pro for GB or NE.
I hope that they get Watt. I think there is a good chance that he becomes a great player. He looks like he at least will be a good player. I think that he is worth it with their 1st pick. It would be awesome if they could trade back a little bit into the low 30s and get Watt and an extra pick.

koolaid

Drink Me
Reaction score
I am a diehard Wisconsin fan so I was pretty interested to see how Watt would play last season since it was his first season starting. He was previously a TE and he had been hurt so it was sort of an unknown what kind of player he was going to be. Both of his older brothers were very good college players. Wisconsin runs a 3-4 defense with the outside linebackers going after the QB a lot. The other OLB last season was Vince Biegel who was a good player himself, but Vince went down for a few weeks midseason with a broken foot so Watt was the key guy rushing the passer. The season opened against LSU which was interesting because they had Leonard Fournette. Watt made some fantastic plays behind the line against Fournette in that game. Offensive tackles really struggled with him all season because of his strength and long arms. His interception against Purdue was ridiculous. Watt is an athletic freak and I think, like his brother JJ, he will continue to get much better after college. He has a good frame that he can build on. He could develop into a very good pass rusher in the NFL. He can play as a 3-4 OLB or 4-3 DE. His work ethic is great and he didn't show any signs of his previous knee injuries last season. I don't think you want him in coverage at all if you can help it, he was burned in the bowl game against Western Michigan.
If Watt is available at the end of the first I think it is good value even taking into account his previous injuries. IMO he would be our best pass rusher on defense in a year or two and I would bet he wont get himself suspended or do anything boneheaded. He was very professional in his approach to the game at Wisconsin and he seems like he is driven to be great.
:starspin:

ghst187

Reaction score
You mean the tape that made him an all-american? Nothing special? The pick 6 looked pretty special to me. How about a 250 pound de making tackles on special teams?
Yes the pick six was nice but I didn't see a quick twitch guy that bend the edge for us and beat LTs consistently at the next level. Might be a nice player but pass at 28.

Pants

Reaction score
I am a diehard Wisconsin fan so I was pretty interested to see how Watt would play last season since it was his first season starting. He was previously a TE and he had been hurt so it was sort of an unknown what kind of player he was going to be. Both of his older brothers were very good college players. Wisconsin runs a 3-4 defense with the outside linebackers going after the QB a lot. The other OLB last season was Vince Biegel who was a good player himself, but Vince went down for a few weeks midseason with a broken foot so Watt was the key guy rushing the passer. The season opened against LSU which was interesting because they had Leonard Fournette. Watt made some fantastic plays behind the line against Fournette in that game. Offensive tackles really struggled with him all season because of his strength and long arms. His interception against Purdue was ridiculous. Watt is an athletic freak and I think, like his brother JJ, he will continue to get much better after college. He has a good frame that he can build on. He could develop into a very good pass rusher in the NFL. He can play as a 3-4 OLB or 4-3 DE. His work ethic is great and he didn't show any signs of his previous knee injuries last season. I don't think you want him in coverage at all if you can help it, he was burned in the bowl game against Western Michigan.
If Watt is available at the end of the first I think it is good value even taking into account his previous injuries. IMO he would be our best pass rusher on defense in a year or two and I would bet he wont get himself suspended or do anything boneheaded. He was very professional in his approach to the game at Wisconsin and he seems like he is driven to be great.
:starspin:

so he can be our 2nd round TE this year? sold

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I hope that they get Watt. I think there is a good chance that he becomes a great player. He looks like he at least will be a good player. I think that he is worth it with their 1st pick. It would be awesome if they could trade back a little bit into the low 30s and get Watt and an extra pick.
I could live with that, 28 is a pinch too early for him. Rather takes Harris who has the correct first name for a DE.

Brooksey

Reaction score
Yes the pick six was nice but I didn't see a quick twitch guy that bend the edge for us and beat LTs consistently at the next level. Might be a nice player but pass at 28.

He's plenty twitchy and he does have "some" bend. Tremendous length & speed. High character guy, non-stop motor, his pass rush moves need work if he's going to be a full time RDE. I think he puts in that work.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind Watt but he's a project. He's better suited as a 34 OLB. If you watched him at Wisconsin he never had his hand in the ground holding the edge. He was more of a hybrid rover that would play read/rush. I didn't see him play with strength against blockers and the cut block seemed to be his kryptonite.

Cebrin

Reaction score
For the 12th millionth time, a 3-4 ROLB and a 4-3 RDE are basically the same player.

He measured in at 6'4" 252 at the Combine.

DeMarcus Ware was 6'4" 251 at the Combine. Ware, a college 4-3 DE, moved to a 3-4 OLB under Parcells, then back to a 4-3 DE, and then back to 3-4 OLB for Denver.

John Abraham and Dwight Freeney have also gone back and forth between the two defenses. So has Julius Peppers and Mario Williams. Terrell Suggs was a 4-3 DE at Arizona State and has performed the exact same job for the Ravens 3-4 for years. Cameron Wake has had success in both schemes for the Dolphins. So on and so on.

Watt will be fine in our scheme.

Just because someone has equivalent height, and weight, doesn't mean they're built the same. Power comes from the core, and legs when working from the interior, and all of the players you mentioned are built differently than TJ in that regard, except maybe Demarcus. Demarcus couldn't physically take working in a 4-3. TJ has injured both knees playing while standing up. If he adds the weight, it could easily reduce his athleticism, which would be a terrible idea for him. I'd take him as an OLB who blitzes in a heartbeat. I just can't see him with his hands in the dirt.

rambo2

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind Watt but he's a project. He's better suited as a 34 OLB. If you watched him at Wisconsin he never had his hand in the ground holding the edge. He was more of a hybrid rover that would play read/rush. I didn't see him play with strength against blockers and the cut block seemed to be his kryptonite.
It looks like Wisconsin played with a 4 man front with Watt standing up as a de.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Yep. I've warmed up a little to him. I haven't watched him enough to really tell if his pass rush 'bend' is more from footwork problems or not, like Bosa's were. But, lately I've noticed Jordan Willis just had bad footwork when pass rushing which is why i'd take him over Watt right now.

I have come to the conclusion that Watt basically does have everything you want in a prospect. I ask myself one question with 1st rounders, "Do I see themselves producing at a high level for 8 years?"

With Watt, I don't think that'd be a problem. He may not light it up his first year (not many do), but I think he could have a Kerrigan type career if most of his responsibility is just attacking the LOS.

Bosa's issues were Bryan Broaddus' in ability to articulate anything better than "good" and "great" and his audience's inability to think critically.

That and he only played even with Conklin while people grossly underestimated his talent. Conklin pancaked him a time or two and people said it must be Bosa's feet. The causation was backward. Conklin is that quick and powerful.

I have never seen anyone more polished coming out of the NCAA as a DE. Ability to play with bend, extension, and power. Inside out moves, club dip and rip, swim or spin back inside. Ability to stack, steer and shed, blocks. Ability to split double teams or anchor as needed. Ability to do all that from either end spot and inside.

Meanwhile a legion were parroting "good not great." Darkest day in this boards draft acumen IMO.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
It looks like Wisconsin played with a 4 man front with Watt standing up as a de.

I don't know; maybe at certain times, but when your stand-up DE is lined up at times with linebackers and rushing the A & B gaps you're basically a blitzing LB.

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
Watt is more of a already reached his potential athlete though he has room to grow physically, but I could be wrong, was wrong about JJ. (pre-back injury)

Gaede

Reaction score
Bosa's issues were Bryan Broaddus' in ability to articulate anything better than "good" and "great" and his audience's inability to think critically.

That and he only played even with Conklin while people grossly underestimated his talent. Conklin pancaked him a time or two and people said it must be Bosa's feet. The causation was backward. Conklin is that quick and powerful.

I have never seen anyone more polished coming out of the NCAA as a DE. Ability to play with bend, extension, and power. Inside out moves, club dip and rip, swim or spin back inside. Ability to stack, steer and shed, blocks. Ability to split double teams or anchor as needed. Ability to do all that from either end spot and inside.

Meanwhile a legion were parroting "good not great." Darkest day in this boards draft acumen IMO.

You're forgetting that most of us thought Bosa was an idiot frat boy and that's why we didn't like him @4

gmoney112

Reaction score

Hahah agreed. But it's not really secret knowledge nowadays that his "lack of" elite production in college was due to his pass rushing footwork.

As soon as he got to the NFL, SD cleaned it up and off he went.

fishspill

Reaction score
You're forgetting that most of us thought Bosa was an idiot frat boy and that's why we didn't like him @4
The toughest part about that for me was Zeke had a similar rep and the board ignored it. Now everybody's starting to get a little nervous about it.