News: TLH: Dallas Cowboys: Will Chidobe Awuzie make a name for himself in 2020?

817Gill

Reaction score
Initially there was a lot of hype about him and Woods and Btown.

Brown stays for now. But the rest including Awuzie are debatable.

Last year I thought he was giving way too much cushion to receivers.

He was letting a good amount of YAC on key downs than he had before. At least it seemed that way.

It was always the safeties who got gouged and the LBers, too.

So I think they have to consider how to help Awuzie more than anything.

What I would prefer is to take our best CB and put him on the best WR and follow him.

Other teams seemed to do this against us with some success.

Amari was defended like this and he suffered from it. But Richard never did this.

Change this and draft best CB and Awuzie improves.

Hmmmm..
I’ve gotta think that’s scheme related as we all saw that. There’s no way Richard wasn’t telling him to do that, if he didn’t he’d be telling him not to. I don’t see why he’d just let that go uncoached week after week if it wasn’t what was taught.

Keep in mind Rod called the line and Richard called the secondary lol, those times he lined up with such a far cushion in blitzes and they picked up an easy 6 may very well be due to Rods call not matching Kris’s, which was documented to have happened last year.

Williamsboys

Reaction score
I feel a bit Awuuuuzie everytime Chido is out there defending a pass with his back to the ball. Dont the Cowboys have a secondary coach to teach these things??

Mr_437

Reaction score
Maybe Al Harris can get Chido, JD n AB playing at a high level. I expect these guys to play better with the new scheme but you never know.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I’ve gotta think that’s scheme related as we all saw that. There’s no way Richard wasn’t telling him to do that, if he didn’t he’d be telling him not to. I don’t see why he’d just let that go uncoached week after week if it wasn’t what was taught.

Keep in mind Rod called the line and Richard called the secondary lol, those times he lined up with such a far cushion in blitzes and they picked up an easy 6 may very well be due to Rods call not matching Kris’s, which was documented to have happened last year.
Yes, and while all that actually happened, that story went so much deeper.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think Dallas should work on an extension this offseason with Chidobe.

He is not nearly as bad as this forum would have you believe. He’s a pretty good player and I’m fine with him as our #2 corner.

If he fits the new scheme then Dallas needs to try and get ahead of this and get him signed.
Ive been predicting this for a while. The Cowboys FO likes Awuzie more than the fans do. I wouldnt be shocked if he gets extended during the preseason

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Dallas Cowboys: Will Chidobe Awuzie make a name for himself in 2020?
https://thelandryhat.com/2020/04/11/dallas-cowboys-chidobe-awuzie-name-2020/

...He has had a good track record so far, improving every season for three consecutive years. While playing only 30 percent of the defensive snaps in his rookie season, Awuzie defended seven passes and made 25 tackles while intercepting one pass.

The following season, his snaps jumped up to 86 percent. That along with starts in 14 of 15 games played. The passes defended increased to 11, tackles up to 71, and yet again intercepted one pass.

The 2019 season saw 16 starts with 95 percent of defensive snaps. The corner’s best season yet saw him defend 14 passes and make 79 tackles, while yet again intercepting one pass. He also managed to force one fumble, make one tackle for a loss, and hit the opposing quarterback once...
Here are some of Awuzie's advanced stats. Pro Football References is a good resource for CB stats

2018 : 56.8 comp% 8.1 yards per target. 5 TD's 96.4 QBR against

2019: 59.8 comp% 7.5 YPT. 3TD's. 89.1 QBR against

He was targeted 95 in 2018 and 97 times in 2019

CCBoy

Reaction score
Here are some of Awuzie's advanced stats. Pro Football References is a good resource for CB stats

2018 : 56.8 comp% 8.1 yards per target. 5 TD's 96.4 QBR against

2019: 59.8 comp% 7.5 YPT. 3TD's. 89.1 QBR against

He was targeted 95 in 2018 and 97 times in 2019

Thanks, but for this fan...the largest questions for now, are at defensive end and center.

My biggest wish list has top shelf wide receiver on it.

Myself, I want a defensive lineman and offensive lineman with two of the top four picks...even trading up to get quality.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Thanks, but for this fan...the largest questions for now, are at defensive end and center.

My biggest wish list has top shelf wide receiver on it.

Myself, I want a defensive lineman and offensive lineman with two of the top four picks...even trading up to get quality.
And think about this.

Richard Sherman had a 105 QBR against in 2018

2019 it was 64

The difference? SF made very significant upgrades to their pass rush. The drafted Bosa, traded for Ford, and Armistead broke out.

There may just be something to this crazy pass rush thought some people have