TNF: 49ers at Seahawks

RonWashington

Reaction score
The 49ers wrapped up its division weeks early with basically Will Grier at QB , the 3rd string break glass in an emergency type QB . Except Grier went what 3rd round to Carolina and was much more highly thought of in college .This is what an offense that wins at the point of attack and can run the ball can do . Plus a smothering defense .

The only reason Houston hung around last week was TURNOVERS. Take care of the ball run if effectively and give your defense good field position in which to operate .

TheHerd

Reaction score
Well, if the Cowboys are going to do it, they might as eliminate their three greatest criticisms at the same time.

Can't beat Brady.

Can't play physical (at San Fran)

Can't raise their intensity level to match the circumstances (Playing the Eagles for the NFC Championship game and advance to the Super Bowl)

Hey, by no means should the Cowboys be favored to accomplish all of this, but I've seen things.

In 1975 nobody expected the Cowboys to have a winning season much less make the playoffs as a wildcard. It was supposed to be a rebuilding year. For the first time in 9 seasons the Cowboys didn't make the playoffs the previous year. Their record was 8-6. All their stars from the late 60's were retiring.

This was an exciting surprise but to beat the #1 seed in the first round?

Back then there were three divisions. There was one wildcard team per conference. Therefore, the #1 seed hosted the wildcard. Of course the Cowboys were the underdogs. When the Cowboys beat the Vikings with Staubach's Hail Mary pass you it was only natural to believe that the Cowboys played tough enough to get lucky and end up in the NFC championship game with the Los Angelos Rams.

Nobody believed the Cowboys could beat the Rams. Nobody!

The Rams had the #1 defense with a defensive line that included Merlin Olsen, Fred Dryer and jack Youngblood. Their defense averaged 9.6 yards a game. They had a stable of star RB's like Lawrence McCutcheon, John Cappelletti, Cullen Bryant, Jim Bertelson. A young Harold Jackson was one of their receivers.

As surprising as the Viking game was, the NFC championship game was stunning, the Cowboys beat the Rams 37-7. At one point it was 31-0. I'll never forget the joy those two games gave me. You see, I was in Air Force basic training at the time, stationed at Lackland AFB. In the group (called a flight, actually) of fifty guys, there were only three of us Cowboys fans and we were getting the Cowboys hate.

Anyway, that was the only season where I never seriously thought the Cowboys might end up in the Super Bowl but they did. You never really know.

I know it's a reach. However, I have witnessed reaches.
I'm a little younger, but was right there with you. That Rams team was tough. I remember watching those games on the tiny TV with the snowy reception. We lived in the woods of NH at the time and couldn't afford that fancy big antennae!

TheHerd

Reaction score
The 49ers wrapped up its division weeks early with basically Will Grier at QB , the 3rd string break glass in an emergency type QB . Except Grier went what 3rd round to Carolina and was much more highly thought of in college .This is what an offense that wins at the point of attack and can run the ball can do . Plus a smothering defense .

The only reason Houston hung around last week was TURNOVERS. Take care of the ball run if effectively and give your defense good field position in which to operate .
Dominant lines and turnovers are the formula that never changes. That missed pick and the subsequent fumbled really settled the game. But the domination on both sides of the ball was the real story.

terra

Reaction score
They were. I'm not saying he's great or anything, but you can clearly see he's an NFL QB right out of the box. That's not common for the last pick in the draft.

The 49ers have looked like crap whenever Trey Lance started.
I am trying to remember the last 7th rd pick to become a solid NFL starting QB and I am coming up dry.

Flamma

Reaction score
I am trying to remember the last 7th rd pick to become a solid NFL starting QB and I am coming up dry.

It's pretty much zero. Even 4th and 5th round picks are not good. Remember Mike White? I think he was a 5th. When he was with us he was far from an NFL QB. Zero pocket presence, among other things. Now, after several years in the league he's an ok NFL QB. But a 7th rounder to just come in and basically mimic Garoppolo, ridiculous. He's confident, and he has a lot of run support. The 49ers are in good shape. Garoppolo may never see the field again this season.

terra

Reaction score
It's pretty much zero. Even 4th and 5th round picks are not good. Remember Mike White? I think he was a 5th. When he was with us he was far from an NFL QB. Zero pocket presence, among other things. Now, after several years in the league he's an ok NFL QB. But a 7th rounder to just come in and basically mimic Garoppolo, ridiculous. He's confident, and he has a lot of run support. The 49ers are in good shape. Garoppolo may never see the field again this season.
Jimmy G will spit the bit when it counts every time

Motorola

Reaction score
If this result holds and the lions lose to the Jets, we clinch a playoff spot Sunday even if we lose. I would love to see Detroit in the playoffs however
You know Carson --- that would also be satisfying to me to see TWO NFC North teams get a postseason birth....
and neither one has "Discount Double-check \ "R-E-L-A-X" as their QB.
The NFL World haz seen and smelled the limburger cheese that has been emanating from 1265 Lombardi Way and Lambeau Field since the 2022 offseason...and the stink has rose to extremely nauseating levels once the games began for their fans.