To all those disappointed with LVE

Reaction score
You are prepared to be surprised, in a good way. I've posted this before, but appropriate again. I live in Boise. Went to BSU home games. Went in person to LVE's pro day... Being as objective as I can be, this guy is, at a minimum, Karlos Dansby. At a maximum, Brian Urhlacher... Simply put, 6'4" 256 lb guys do NOT move like this guy does. He is the best coverage MLB in this draft. His backpedal is effortless and fluid. He opens his hips like a CB. And with his 6'4" height and wingspan, 39.5" vert, and great range, he closes that window in the middle of the field. Makes it so hard for QB's to fit passes into that middle seam or throw over him. In today's NFL, that is huge... Further, I believe it was proven last year that Jaylon Smith is a far better OLB, than he is a MLB. Let him come off the edge and cover TE's. LVE's instincts at MLB are so much better than Jaylon's. Plus, he weighs 256 and has room for another 10lbs without losing any quickness... Where LVE needs to improve is take on. But not because he's not physical (forget the Bobby Carpenter comparisons, they are wrong and lazy). He IS physical. But he is so athletic, he often tries (and succeeds) to slip around blockers. He will get coached up on that... Also, the draft is a projection. And LVE's athleticism is off the charts. At 256, he ran a 4.65 40. And add to that a 3 cone of 6.88. That is the SAME as Calvin Ridley and better than DJ Moore (6.95). Last, he had a vertical of 39.5". That is the SAME as DJ Moore and 8.5" higher than Ridley. For a MLB. Think about that and let it sink in. He is an athletic freak, and an ascending player... Finally, he is a really good kid. High school championships in 8 man football and basketball. He is a self made player. Walk on. Team captain. He will not stop working. He is the anti-Dez... Fellas, do not be disappointed. You will love this guy.

MojaveJT

Reaction score
Great to hear an opinion of someone who's actually seen this kid in real life. I was lukewarm when the pick was made but I'm warming up to it. Hearing some great things about him.

We probably tried to trade up but LA wanted James, oh well.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You are prepared to be surprised, in a good way. I've posted this before, but appropriate again. I live in Boise. Went to BSU home games. Went in person to LVE's pro day... Being as objective as I can be, this guy is, at a minimum, Karlos Dansby. At a maximum, Brian Urhlacher... Simply put, 6'4" 256 lb guys do NOT move like this guy does. He is the best coverage MLB in this draft. His backpedal is effortless and fluid. He opens his hips like a CB. And with his 6'4" height and wingspan, 39.5" vert, and great range, he closes that window in the middle of the field. Makes it so hard for QB's to fit passes into that middle seam or throw over him. In today's NFL, that is huge... Further, I believe it was proven last year that Jaylon Smith is a far better OLB, than he is a MLB. Let him come off the edge and cover TE's. LVE's instincts at MLB are so much better than Jaylon's. Plus, he weighs 256 and has room for another 10lbs without losing any quickness... Where LVE needs to improve is take on. But not because he's not physical (forget the Bobby Carpenter comparisons, they are wrong and lazy). He IS physical. But he is so athletic, he often tries (and succeeds) to slip around blockers. He will get coached up on that... Also, the draft is a projection. And LVE's athleticism is off the charts. At 256, he ran a 4.65 40. And add to that a 3 cone of 6.88. That is the SAME as Calvin Ridley and better than DJ Moore (6.95). Last, he had a vertical of 39.5". That is the SAME as DJ Moore and 8.5" higher than Ridley. For a MLB. Think about that and let it sink in. He is an athletic freak, and an ascending player... Finally, he is a really good kid. High school championships in 8 man football and basketball. He is a self made player. Walk on. Team captain. He will not stop working. He is the anti-Dez... Fellas, do not be disappointed. You will love this guy.

SOLD here reminds me of ex Steeler MLB Jack Lambert....

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

He played Corner in high school..... 8 man football granted but still he played Corner.

TWOK11

Reaction score
He moves incredibly well in space and passes the eye test.

That being said, this isn't without risk. He's not the thumper you'd like at the MIKE and I'm always hesitant of big fish in small ponds. LVE can count on one hand the number of future NFL starting caliber offensive players he faced this past year.

I do like the pick, but I do wish he had more film against NFL caliber talent.

DuDa

Reaction score

Great write up and I really do hope you're right...