TO: "BP has 10 years worth of film of me"

JoeCorrado

Reaction score
Terrell has actually done a fairly good job of handling the whole situation. Bill has done a great job of combating the media frenzy as well. A superb job from my perspective.

What choice does TO have but to let the hamstring heal? Will it get better by stressing it? It can only get worse with stress, there is no upside in risking additional injury. As Bill says; "You risk a little to gain a lot, you don't risk a lot to gain a little."

Bill wants to play it safe as does every head coach in a similar situation. We are not dealing with a rookie who must "show" his abilities in order to "earn" a roster spot. Owens is a pro-bowl receiver who is proven to be among the elite in the NFL. His spot was earned based upon his already proven track record on the field.

The "need" for practice, is being over hyped by the media in an unfair way and only in this one case, in TO's case. Yes, Terrell does need to learn the offense, and a big part of that is learning the playbook. Terrell is active, attentive and positive in team meetings and is learning the specifics of the offense. Translating it from theory to reality, on the field, will come in it's due time. Certainly TO is freely offering his expertise to our young recievers, as Hurd would seem to indicate. Not a contribution to be wholly overlooked by the way.

Of course Bill must see Terrell on the field in order to personally judge his abilities after an extended absence, but he is correct in choosing to err on the side of caution. He is not totally unaware of TO's abilities, he really does have 10 years of tape at his disposal. As Bill has said; "There is too much talking in the NFL, time to put it on tape, time to show me." Was it an unreasonable leap for TO to draw a similar conclusion?

The media will play on every possible angle because they do not care what is best for TO, best for the Cowboys or best for Bill Parcells- all they care about is creating a story where none exists. Shame on them.

The good news is that all of their efforts will be fruitless, the are impotent so long as Bill, Jerry and TO stick to their guns and stick together. THAT is what is best for the Cowboys, and all of us who support them.

sf49rh8r

Reaction score
Jimz31 said:
Remember what BP said about Larry Allen? That the past is past and that you have to prove to him all over again?

BP says those sorts of things, but I really don't think he means it when it comes to vets.

I believe that BP has a way of treating "his" vets. Guys he has a history with. But to rely on 10 years of film is just crazy. So is BP supposed to base his decisions on TO's past. Well if that was the case he wouldn't be on the team. Is he supposed to just look at the film showing him making great plays or the film of him allegedly tearing teams apart. Both are on film. The hole thing is a bit much and in fact getting old. Call me when something really happens and not just the daily banter that reporters are throwing at us. Quit putting the mics and cameras in front of him and the spotlight on him and we'll see how long it takes for him to get back on the field. He is the most publicized non-playing football player in history. Enough already.

Hoov

Reaction score
TO is not going to change a whole lot, he is who he is. There isnt a single NFL team where everybody likes everyone. Its more realistic to hope that the common goal of winning a superbowl is enough to keep guys focused and tolerant of one another.

But i still say the HC has to display authority to keep the ship righted.

Tenkamenin

Reaction score
YoMick said:
Deion wasnt a great teammate...

That is a flat out lie, you never heard about Deion fussing with his teammates.

Deion and TO have 2 completely different characters

sf49rh8r

Reaction score
Tenkamenin said:

Deion was flamboyant but he gave a damn about his team, his teammates and winning. Don't compare the two.

JIGGYFLY

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab said:
One of Owens' problems is that he doesn't understand that he is not on a par with Bill. Just look at his comments: "I told Bill we'll have to be patient with one another." "Bill and I are still getting to know each other." Owens sees this whole venture as a partership, not an employee/employer relationship. He's been told so many times how wonderful he is -- he has all kinds of fans chanting his name, he can write books that people buy, he's the lead story on Sportscenter -- that he really sees himself as equal in stature to the coach. And he thinks he should be able to control when he plays, as he (now apparently) did in San Fran and Philly.

Naturally, that isn't going to play well with this coach.

Like ZeroClub said in another thread, Owens is just not very bright. He doesn't understand that the things he says can be inflammatory, and he doesn't see why he should change his ways. After all, in his mind, he hasn't done anything wrong.

Many people have theorized that Owens has acted up in the past because of money. And it seems that Jerry thought that throwing a bunch of money at the player would take care of things. But I'm afraid he's going to find that money isn't what makes Owens act like a loon.

First of all TO is an employee of Jery Jones, also how many jobs have you worked were you make more than your boss.

Thats the problem most people have today when dealing with youth, it's 2006 you have to earn your respect you do not get it because of past accomplishments and with Parcells record in Dallas no playoff victories in 3 years, he does not have the right to demand anything and the same goes for TO.

Now I beleive you have to respect authority and all that, but I was raised in another era, to be successful gaining the respect of today's youth you have to show them something not just tell them something. I beleive Parcells is to smart to think he can bully TO around to get what he wants and I think it all works out in the end hopefully.:pray2: :crossed: and if it does not I still feel it was worth the gamble.

jman

Reaction score
mbanx said:
Now I know it was probably a mistake on my part to start this thread, thats okay it is not my first and won't be my last. I have not heard the audio and would like to think it is hearsay, BUT if it is not then I am really concerned and would like for somebody to talk me off the ledge. First off it's my fault for thinking he would change, because if he can't make it here he is done unless he will work for the vet. minimum. (if he is lucky) I guess what I want to know his do you think this is the beginning of the end, Jerry steps in and lays down the law or mediates, last how does Parcells react. I have never seen someone with so much talent self destruct so badly (if this is true).

PS If anybody from the media reads this then please, please diregard it. I am just a blue collar worker who loves the Cowboys and for once not like to see them in the limelight. If you do however I expect to be named as a source:mad:

Kinda like when someone says "To make a long story short"...it's usually too late.

Sportsbabe

Reaction score
dargonking999 said:
He did say that, but that was in refernce to BP sating he wants to see what kind of player he has, and TO also quickly followed up with this is not meant as disrespect, but he just feels his past can speak for him.

You can come off the ledge

It actually was in reply to Bill saying he would need to see what a player can do before he would feel comfortable putting him in a game. Bill's comments could actually be interpreted as making sure that the player is healthy enough to make it through a game.

TO's reponse about 10 years of film was also directed at the teammates saying that they know what he can do. In essence they can count on him because he knows how to play this game and he has 10 years of film to prove it.

When I saw the clip it didn't come across defiant or confrontational at all.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Tenkamenin said:

Stories were floating around about how a coach would tell Deion to do something and he would respond with... "I dont have to... ask Jerry"

:lmao2:
How do you think other teammates viewed that as... a great teammate???

sf49rh8r

Reaction score
mbanx said:
Now I know it was probably a mistake on my part to start this thread, thats okay it is not my first and won't be my last. I have not heard the audio and would like to think it is hearsay, BUT if it is not then I am really concerned and would like for somebody to talk me off the ledge. First off it's my fault for thinking he would change, because if he can't make it here he is done unless he will work for the vet. minimum. (if he is lucky) I guess what I want to know his do you think this is the beginning of the end, Jerry steps in and lays down the law or mediates, last how does Parcells react. I have never seen someone with so much talent self destruct so badly (if this is true).

PS If anybody from the media reads this then please, please diregard it. I am just a blue collar worker who loves the Cowboys and for once not like to see them in the limelight. If you do however I expect to be named as a source:mad:

In a nutshell this really isn't that much of a story. It's been hashed and rehashed...let's talk about who is in camp and who may or may not make the team.

ddh33

Reaction score
Sportsbabe said:
It actually was in reply to Bill saying he would need to see what a player can do before he would feel comfortable putting him in a game. Bill's comments could actually be interpreted as making sure that the player is healthy enough to make it through a game.

TO's reponse about 10 years of film was also directed at the teammates saying that they know what he can do. In essence they can count on him because he knows how to play this game and he has 10 years of film to prove it.

When I saw the clip it didn't come across defiant or confrontational at all.

That was exactly what I thought. These comments from Bill or TO are only bad if you make them bad. Unfortunately, the media seems to be trying to do exactly that - make them sound bad. In truth, I think all parties just want TO healthy and making plays on the football field.

EveryoneElse

Reaction score
Chief said:
This kind of flew under the radar today, with John Saldi getting cut and all.

John's Daddy must not have ordered "Back Yard Drills" for little Johnny Saldi.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Oh No you don't. Don't get me started. 10 years of film, huh? 10 years of him gimpin' around? You're in your 30's pal, crap starts slowing down and your boo boo's linger a little longer. Let's see what you CAN do this year. What do you say? His name is Parcells. Coach Parcells to you....EMPLOYEE. It could even be Bill. No wonder you were picked on. I can assume it was all self -inflicted.
I can't wait until you do something on the field so your self-inflated, ego-eccentric, borderline psychotic, mental state is bufferd a little by your god given talent. Which by the way is definitely NOT listening......your forgotten skill.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
thats7 said:
Oh No you don't. Don't get me started. 10 years of film, huh? 10 years of him gimpin' around? You're in your 30's pal, crap starts slowing down and your boo boo's linger a little longer. Let's see what you CAN do this year. What do you say? His name is Parcells. Coach Parcells to you....EMPLOYEE. It could even be Bill. No wonder you were picked on. I can assume it was all self -inflicted.
I can't wait until you do something on the field so your self-inflated, ego-eccentric, borderline psychotic, mental state is bufferd a little by your god given talent. Which by the way is definitely NOT listening......your forgotten skill.

Sorry everyone needs to get it out of their heads that the players are employees. Employees dont sign contracts. Contractors do. Very big distinction.

TwoSteppinJJ

Reaction score
His comment doesnt bother me. He also mentioned that he didnt mean to offend Bill with his comment. Plus his comment had some truth to it.

What the team needs to do is let Owens rest for a week until the end of August. Then he can come back start practicing for the season opener. Lets be honest, A veteran like Terrell doesnt need preseason action. Get him 100% for the season so he doesnt have that injury linger all season long.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Sigh ........ why do I get the feeling that Bill and T.O. laugh about these stories .....