TO slams McNabb again (agrees with Irvin that Eagles would be undefeated with Favre!)

jman

Reaction score
Tass said:
Then why would he sign a seven year deal?

Because the way the contract was set up...I believe; and I may be wrong, the Eagles could have terminated the contract with out giving him a roster bonus at the beginning of the season.

And again, the length of the contract has no bearing on what a player will actually make. Look at Peyton Manning's and Steve McNair's contracts. They are both scheduled to make HUGE money at the end of their contract lives, but will never be seen without a restructering of the entire deal. Heck, I think McNair has a $50 million year next year or the year after that. He aint ever going to see that money, so that year is really non-exisistant.

chicago JK

Reaction score
BTW what ever happened to that AJM1613 dude. I see he hasn't posted since the first Cowboy-Eagle game. For a guy who practically lived on this board and enjoyed his teams dominance, he has been absolutely silent over the past month.

Props to the opposing fans who come to the board after both wins and losses. I don't mind opposing fans gloating after their teams win if they do the same when their team comes up short.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
TO is without a doubt the most dangerous player in the NFC East. He is dangerous to defenses who have to prepare for him, and his own team who has to deal with him.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
jman said:
I think the truth be told, that TO thought he would have a Super Bowl ring by now with the Eagles and would have been on his merry way with another team by now. When it didn't work out that way, he decided to pull out his stunts to get released or traded and that hasn't worked yet either.

I truly think he thought he would only be there a year and gone. That's why he signed the contract.

He thought after they won a SB with him, he'd be able to make the claim it was because of him and then demand a redo of his contract.

I suspect he had a hefty bonus in his contract if the Iggles had won with him last year which is now moot or maybe something in his contract would have triggered lopping off some years on his deal so he could get out sooner and resign with another team.

Something that was in his deal or in his vision as to how it was going to work out has backfired.

I don't think you can fault TO's play. The guy comes to play every Sunday. He plays hurt. He can still get it done. Even against Denver, when he scored when they were about hopelessly behind, he brought them back with a hige individual play.

I'm not as down on him as some. After watching Deion here in Dallas and all the BS we had to go thru to play and pay him and brought him in pretty much to win our last SB after signing him away from the 9ers..

..I understand why Philly is putting themselves thru this.

I really think the Iggles problem is pretty much on defense. They have had a constant loss of talent on that side of the ball with players signing elsewhere and several of their defensive coaches have been moved also as Reid has made changes in his staff each off-season for the last couple of years.

Success does this to teams. Losing coaches as a big an impact on the W-L column as losing players. Combine the two, and it's a slow downward spiral.

Blame TO if you want, but he's a player and a very talented one. And he's not the answer for the Iggles nor the reason for their troubles.

I think you have to look to Mcnabb as not being able to win the Big One. And as much as TO maybe vilified for hinting at McNabbs shortcomings, I think he's more correct than some want to admit about McNabb.

I'm not sold on him as a championship QB yet..either.

I know the media has embraced him, but purely as a QB of elite status..until he wins a SB, he won't really get there. And the sad thing is, he really needs a guy like TO to get him there and that's the problem.

They aren't getting along and McNabb hasn't been able to just make it work if only for his own selfish reasons that he needs TO to get where he's been unable to get alone.

This league has always had loads of great QB's that never won the SB, which is what puts them over the top. Peyton Manning is in the same boat with McNabb here.

Actually, our own Drew Bledsoe is also there, having played well over a career and been to a SB but never won one and on a SB team in the Pats, but Brady supplanted him as a starter to go there.

He's an example of the possibilities, the ups and downs and the twists and turns at the position that can happen even to very good QBs.

So I'm not so much flipped out over TO. To me, he's a mirror of what's the real problem in Philly with McNabb possibly feeling the pressure at QB and so much depending on him.

Just go back to last year's SB and the stories of McNabb cracking under the pressure and throwing up and being out of it at one point. there is something there in McNabb that isn't quite able to perfrom under pressure.

:eek:

Which is a requirement to be a SB QB.

We'll see.

parcellswaterboy

Doomsday101

Reaction score
TO is a punk and trouble maker and glad Dallas does not have to deal with a guy like this.

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
So... how many of our guys would you guess has their own publicist?

My guess is somewhere between 1 and 0.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
TO is a punk and trouble maker and glad Dallas does not have to deal with a guy like this.

But we do, twice a year :)

Last 2 times we dealt with him...Broken ankle and shut him down.

Funxva

Inventor of the Whizzinator
Reaction score
Marino is also a great QB that has never won a SB. My rabid Dolphins fan friend thinks he's the greatest QB to ever hold a football. :)

ravidubey

Reaction score
Philadelphia crossed the line from "frugal" into "cheap" this season. Their desire to underpay and find "value" has left them neutered and less effective. NFL teams are cyclical, when you have a Donovan McNabb you must do what it takes to make a run. The Eagles have not done that.

Yes they drafted Lewis, Sheldon, and Brown to replenish their secondary and it did indeed revive their Superbowl hopes last season. But then they got full of themselves:

1) In a draft where they had multiple high picks and 13 picks total, they ended up with not a single significant rookie contributer beyond their #1 pick who is worse than the guy they let go. They could have packaged a few picks together and taken an elite running back, starting WR, or an impact pass rusher to groom for when they have to cut Jevon Kearse, but no, they went cheap again. You think they wouldn't have minded a Mike Williams, DeMarcus Ware, or Shawn Merriman? CHEAP. Speaking of who they let go...

2) Corey Simon. 6th overall pick in 2000 and a big reason why their defense surged and greatly improved that very year. They let their concerns for his weight issues overcome common sense and did not re-sign him. Now he's the foundation of a resurgent Indianapolis run defense while the Eagles can't stop any rushers without scheming. CHEAP.

3) Terrell Owens. Say what you will, this guy would have shut up and played if they had just treated him like the marquee talent he was. Instead they took advantage of the barrell they had him bent over and really stuck it to him. They got intoxicated with getting him for less than marlet value. Well, you get what you don't pay for. CHEAP.

3) Brian Westbrook. You build a team around the pass and you find the perfect complement to your receivers and TE's-- a guy that breaks open big plays all the time because he's a mismatch for the defense. This guy is a big reason you are in contention every year and you... go cheap... again. Westbrook sucks it up and takes the high road (compared with TO) but he's feeling the same pain. CHEAP.

Future cheapness warnings:

4) David Akers. For a team with no running game that has no red zone punch, it's been critical that they rely on an automatic 3 points. That's what Akers buys them. You saw him sacrifice his health for a win over Oakland; the Eagles will look at that as an opportunity to shaft him next season.

5) Donovan McNabb. Yes, the voice of the team himself. The team will look at him as a gift-wrapped scapegoat for why they never won the big game. Watch them scout for a new QB as Donovan's base salary begins to escalate out of control.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Jarv said:
But we do, twice a year :)

Last 2 times we dealt with him...Broken ankle and shut him down.

Well that is the only way I want to see him on the other side lines. Guys like this tend to have the same problems follow them from team to team, after a while you would think TO would relize he is the problem not everyone else.

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
ravidubey said:
Philadelphia crossed the line from "frugal" into "cheap" this season. Their desire to underpay and find "value" has left them neutered and less effective. NFL teams are cyclical, when you have a Donovan McNabb you must do what it takes to make a run. The Eagles have not done that.

Yes they drafted Lewis, Sheldon, and Brown to replenish their secondary and it did indeed revive their Superbowl hopes last season. But then they got full of themselves:

1) In a draft where they had multiple high picks and 13 picks total, they ended up with not a single significant rookie contributer beyond their #1 pick who is worse than the guy they let go. They could have packaged a few picks together and taken an elite running back, starting WR, or an impact pass rusher to groom for when they have to cut Jevon Kearse, but no, they went cheap again. You think they wouldn't have minded a Mike Williams, DeMarcus Ware, or Shawn Merriman? CHEAP. Speaking of who they let go...

2) Corey Simon. 6th overall pick in 2000 and a big reason why their defense surged and greatly improved that very year. They let their concerns for his weight issues overcome common sense and did not re-sign him. Now he's the foundation of a resurgent Indianapolis run defense while the Eagles can't stop any rushers without scheming. CHEAP.

3) Terrell Owens. Say what you will, this guy would have shut up and played if they had just treated him like the marquee talent he was. Instead they took advantage of the barrell they had him bent over and really stuck it to him. They got intoxicated with getting him for less than marlet value. Well, you get what you don't pay for. CHEAP.

3) Brian Westbrook. You build a team around the pass and you find the perfect complement to your receivers and TE's-- a guy that breaks open big plays all the time because he's a mismatch for the defense. This guy is a big reason you are in contention every year and you... go cheap... again. Westbrook sucks it up and takes the high road (compared with TO) but he's feeling the same pain. CHEAP.

4) David Akers. For a team with no running game that has no red zone punch, it's been critical that they rely on an automatic 3 points. That's what Akers buys them. You saw him sacrifice his health for a win over Oakland; the Eagles will look at that as an opportunity to shaft him next season.

5) Donovan McNabb. Yes, the voice of the team himself. The team will look at him as a gift-wrapped scapegoat for why they never won the big game. Watch them scout for a new QB as Donovan's base salary begins to escalate out of control.

That's some good stuff, right there.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Funxva said:
Marino is also a great QB that has never won a SB. My rabid Dolphins fan friend thinks he's the greatest QB to ever hold a football. :)
Michael Irvin has said the same thing on TV.

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
ravidubey said:

Nice Post!

Agree with it all but really about when you have your franchise QB and you are so close to winning it all...You don't waste this time by going cheap!

Spend it all and win it all.

I'll take a few years of salary cap hell for a few Super Bowls!

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
ravidubey said:
Philadelphia crossed the line from "frugal" into "cheap" this season.

Very nice support there...the rep of Lurie's cheapness has been ongoing, but dried up a lot when TO was signed last year. That move was publicized not just as McNabb's public call for weapons so the Eagles could take the next step, but as proof Lurie was willing to open his wallet to take that step.

Does anyone know, btw, how Philly ranks as a revenue producer..(post-new stadium rankings?)

slick325

Reaction score
ravidubey said:

Great post and you are absolutely correct! The Eagles are reaping what they have sowed for years. Jeramiah Trotter recently made a comment about the locker room is not as unified because people are worried about how they will be treated when their contracts are up (I am paraphrasing).

AbeBeta

Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
Very nice support there...the rep of Lurie's cheapness has been ongoing, but dried up a lot when TO was signed last year. That move was publicized not just as McNabb's public call for weapons so the Eagles could take the next step, but as proof Lurie was willing to open his wallet to take that step.

Does anyone know, btw, how Philly ranks as a revenue producer..(post-new stadium rankings?)

The cheapness issue is kind of shocking to me -- I never thought Lurie was cheap -- I thought he spent his money wisely. That the Eagles are where they are without having done much in FA before last year means they are doing something right.

The Eagles problem was spending on T.O. He's been exactly what everyone thought -- I guy who is the top WR in the league -- but is also one of the most disruptive forces you can have on your team.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
abersonc said:
The cheapness issue is kind of shocking to me -- I never thought Lurie was cheap -- I thought he spent his money wisely. That the Eagles are where they are without having done much in FA before last year means they are doing something right.

The Eagles problem was spending on T.O. He's been exactly what everyone thought -- I guy who is the top WR in the league -- but is also one of the most disruptive forces you can have on your team.

I agree. Only mistake the eagles made was investing in TO. TO underminded the coaches and Garcia in SF and now is doing the same in Philly.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
I agree. Only mistake the eagles made was investing in TO. TO underminded the coaches and Garcia in SF and now is doing the same in Philly.

Really TO needed to be in a situation like he could have been in Baltimore - one with strong team leaders who would have helped keep him in line.

But you never know how a player will react to a new situation -- Corey Dillon was rumored to be a cancer in Cincy -- he gets to NE and he's a great team guy.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
abersonc said:
Really TO needed to be in a situation like he could have been in Baltimore - one with strong team leaders who would have helped keep him in line.

But you never know how a player will react to a new situation -- Corey Dillon was rumored to be a cancer in Cincy -- he gets to NE and he's a great team guy.

I think the same problems would have occurred in Baltimore, TO puts himself ahead of everyone and everything and he undermines the staff and belittles the QB who is the team leader. What is happening in Philly is starting to look exactly like it did in San Fran.