To those saying Dak should accept a $15 mil/season team friendly deal like Tom Brady

blueblood70

Reaction score
First, try some puntcuation. You post just comes across as random rambling without it.

Now, what HOF QB signed yesterday @ $23MM? Last one I saw was Brady @ $70MM for 2 years ($35MM/year). As for Cousins being overpaid, he was paid what the market would bear. As for Winston, he is playing under a contract from 2015, so that has no basis in today, and its silly to suggest it would have any bearing on what Dak or any other QB would negotiate today.
was rushing to get out of my office and to work... sorry it wasn't written in a thesis college written proof for you, jeez but NO it was 23mil, that is it.

the others you saw were for 2020 and 2021 and its a farse, they are voidable years so its a one year deal this year redone to 23 from 15mil..
First, try some puntcuation. You post just comes across as random rambling without it.

Now, what HOF QB signed yesterday @ $23MM? Last one I saw was Brady @ $70MM for 2 years ($35MM/year). As for Cousins being overpaid, he was paid what the market would bear. As for Winston, he is playing under a contract from 2015, so that has no basis in today, and its silly to suggest it would have any bearing on what Dak or any other QB would negotiate today.
doesnt matter,

IMO Dak isnt worth over 28 and thats a true reality.. I and many other believe that is his cap and why is that low balling or even looked at as a hometown discount?

If TB can play for 19, 18, and 15 and he COULD demand 40 but he made decsions to help the team, who the flip is Dak to even believe hes worth 30plus? its insane..the market didnt bare that for Cousins, The Vikings made mistake in thinking he was an elite guy who could put them over the top , so they simply overpaid.. they were worse then the year with Case Keenum, teams make mistakes and that in itself wouldn't create "the Market"

I feel the same with Zeke and Amari, Zekes production actually gives him the right to demand being top 3 paid or the Market IE more than Gurley but IMO Gurleys was not the market it was mistake and really what Bell received , is more what id hope Zeke will compromise on and let that be top market for a RB..you think the 20mil Mthomas received gives Amari some sort of right to demand 20, heck no it does not.. Amari isnt top 10 in his ranking and production and id say Amari should be paid in the same market as those in the 16 range and that also gives me some Puase to think anyone thinks Dak and Amari are worth more than Zeke when Zeke has proved hes top3 and his production and health says he has earned more, hes the better player regardless of his position..

so the market may only be relative in caps at positions but not pertain to every new contract that comes up it just is like the pay scale differences in a business structure in CFOs, CEOs then as it goes down the list to President, VP, and lower positions, they cant earn more then those above them and thats is the only market..

Id prefer to call it a range, so QB scale start at the top as

Elite those are 30plus
Tier one- 25-29
Tier2 -15-25
the rest les then 15

Where is Dak Truly as player, solely on stat production?

id say bottom tier one maybe top of tier 2, thats HIS Market IMO..so 25? seems fair let him play so well he out plays this new deal and they can rip it up and give him more but anything over 28 is insanity for Dak as it stands today...please dont argue 32-16 record Records are TEAM reflection, you compare stats and other factors and thats it..

I'm over all this contract talks for all of them , can we see some football games now...

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Dak had the highest QBR rating throughout the playoffs. In other words, he performed the best when it mattered the most. He also finished the regular season for a 96.9 passer rating considering half of the season he played behind an injured Oline (where he was sacked 58 times), no #1 WR talent, no #1 TE talent, where the Oline Coach was replaced halfway through the season and the O-Coordinator was fired by the end of the season, yet he almost passed for 3,900 yards with 23 TDs and only 8 INTs. Are you still going to say he's not worth getting paid what the market is saying he is worth?

Really, how many games did he win? How many games does it take to win the Super Bowl. You need to stop right here because that, to me, is not success. We don't agree here and I have no interest in spending another week arguing over this. If you want to know what my position is on this, look it up, it's all over this board. We don't agree, Dak hasn't done a Tenth of what Brady has, he's a middle of the pack QB at this point in his career and that's it. EOS.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Really, how many games did he win? How many games does it take to win the Super Bowl. You need to stop right here because that, to me, is not success. We don't agree here and I have no interest in spending another week arguing over this. If you want to know what my position is on this, look it up, it's all over this board. We don't agree, Dak hasn't done a Tenth of what Brady has, he's a middle of the pack QB at this point in his career and that's it. EOS.
You're just another badly misinformed poster. Or in serious denial. Doesn't matter. Dak will get his big contract this season whether you like it or not.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I know I am not in this discussion and it’s non of my business. But I do think comparing any QB in the NFL to what brady has done isn’t fair. We all know brady is the pink unicorn. A lot of these QB that come and go in the NFL won’t do a fraction of what brady has done and is somehow still doing.

JJ and the FO believe that Dak is the future and the franchise QB. They faltered at the end of the year because they believed in him and didn’t pull the trigger then. We could have had him at the end of season for 25. Now it’s 32+. They IMO are all over paid. But the market for a franchise QB is what it is. If JJ plays around and let’s mahomes get a deal then the numbers go up especially if Dak has a great year and helps get us another division and playoff spot. Even though Dak may not be as good as these other QB it still is what it is. Either trade players and draft picks and get another QB or pay him. I think Dak will continue to improve, I just don’t know where the ceiling is.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I know I am not in this discussion and it’s non of my business. But I do think comparing any QB in the NFL to what brady has done isn’t fair. We all know brady is the pink unicorn. A lot of these QB that come and go in the NFL won’t do a fraction of what brady has done and is somehow still doing.

JJ and the FO believe that Dak is the future and the franchise QB. They faltered at the end of the year because they believed in him and didn’t pull the trigger then. We could have had him at the end of season for 25. Now it’s 32+. They IMO are all over paid. But the market for a franchise QB is what it is. If JJ plays around and let’s mahomes get a deal then the numbers go up especially if Dak has a great year and helps get us another division and playoff spot. Even though Dak may not be as good as these other QB it still is what it is. Either trade players and draft picks and get another QB or pay him. I think Dak will continue to improve, I just don’t know where the ceiling is.

I agree, I believe I said that Brady is far and away the best, IMO. I have seen nothing that suggest we would have gotten him at 25 and I've seen nothing that suggests he is going to get 32. I would say this, if Dak were able to win a Super Bowl next year, I don't think he would have any problem getting paid 32. Hell, he might get it if he lost the Super Bowl but I see nothing that will force the Cowboys to pay him that this year. I just don't see it. As I've said, I expect him to get money that is in the 25 to 27 range but not in the 30s, not this year. JMO

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
was rushing to get out of my office and to work... sorry it wasn't written in a thesis college written proof for you, jeez but NO it was 23mil, that is it.

the others you saw were for 2020 and 2021 and its a farse, they are voidable years so its a one year deal this year redone to 23 from 15mil..

doesnt matter,

IMO Dak isnt worth over 28 and thats a true reality.. I and many other believe that is his cap and why is that low balling or even looked at as a hometown discount?

If TB can play for 19, 18, and 15 and he COULD demand 40 but he made decsions to help the team, who the flip is Dak to even believe hes worth 30plus? its insane..the market didnt bare that for Cousins, The Vikings made mistake in thinking he was an elite guy who could put them over the top , so they simply overpaid.. they were worse then the year with Case Keenum, teams make mistakes and that in itself wouldn't create "the Market"

I feel the same with Zeke and Amari, Zekes production actually gives him the right to demand being top 3 paid or the Market IE more than Gurley but IMO Gurleys was not the market it was mistake and really what Bell received , is more what id hope Zeke will compromise on and let that be top market for a RB..you think the 20mil Mthomas received gives Amari some sort of right to demand 20, heck no it does not.. Amari isnt top 10 in his ranking and production and id say Amari should be paid in the same market as those in the 16 range and that also gives me some Puase to think anyone thinks Dak and Amari are worth more than Zeke when Zeke has proved hes top3 and his production and health says he has earned more, hes the better player regardless of his position..

so the market may only be relative in caps at positions but not pertain to every new contract that comes up it just is like the pay scale differences in a business structure in CFOs, CEOs then as it goes down the list to President, VP, and lower positions, they cant earn more then those above them and thats is the only market..

Id prefer to call it a range, so QB scale start at the top as

Elite those are 30plus
Tier one- 25-29
Tier2 -15-25
the rest les then 15

Where is Dak Truly as player, solely on stat production?

id say bottom tier one maybe top of tier 2, thats HIS Market IMO..so 25? seems fair let him play so well he out plays this new deal and they can rip it up and give him more but anything over 28 is insanity for Dak as it stands today...please dont argue 32-16 record Records are TEAM reflection, you compare stats and other factors and thats it..

I'm over all this contract talks for all of them , can we see some football games now...

It was not only not a "thesis", it wasn't even passable as a text. It was rambling with thoughts that were hard, if not impossible, to make sense of.

According to Spotrac ….

Tom Brady signed a 2 year, $70,000,000 contract with the New England Patriots, including an average annual salary of $35,000,000. In 2019, Brady will earn a base salary of $14,000,000 and a roster bonus of $1,000,000, while carrying a cap hit of $27,000,000.

And so what if it is extension and doesn't start this year, that's how it works for every QB who's contract hasn't run its course yet and gets an extension. If Dak signs a contract today it will be an extension as well. And even if some portion is voidable, that's true of other contracts as well. A team only has to pay the guaranteed amount, and can otherwise release a player and avoid the full amount.

And let's not act as if Brady is in the same situation as other QBs anyway. He's 42 years old, has a net worth of $180MM, and has won 6 Super Bowls. He doesn't need the money, he isn't worried about long term contracts, he has proven everything he would have ever hoped for on the field, and he has no interest in leaving as a free agent. He's there because he enjoys playing and thrives on the competition.

As for your scale, you are entitled to your belief, but I don't think the current market aligns with that. Garappolo signed a $27.5MM/year contract in 2018, and he had not proven to be a tier 1 QB. And the market has only gone up since then. Wentz hasn't proven to be and elite QB, and he signed for $32MM/year. Your scale is behind where things are realistically today.

blueblood70

Reaction score
It was not only not a "thesis", it wasn't even passable as a text. It was rambling with thoughts that were hard, if not impossible, to make sense of.

According to Spotrac ….

Tom Brady signed a 2 year, $70,000,000 contract with the New England Patriots, including an average annual salary of $35,000,000. In 2019, Brady will earn a base salary of $14,000,000 and a roster bonus of $1,000,000, while carrying a cap hit of $27,000,000.

And so what if it is extension and doesn't start this year, that's how it works for every QB who's contract hasn't run its course yet and gets an extension. If Dak signs a contract today it will be an extension as well. And even if some portion is voidable, that's true of other contracts as well. A team only has to pay the guaranteed amount, and can otherwise release a player and avoid the full amount.

And let's not act as if Brady is in the same situation as other QBs anyway. He's 42 years old, has a net worth of $180MM, and has won 6 Super Bowls. He doesn't need the money, he isn't worried about long term contracts, he has proven everything he would have ever hoped for on the field, and he has no interest in leaving as a free agent. He's there because he enjoys playing and thrives on the competition.

As for your scale, you are entitled to your belief, but I don't think the current market aligns with that. Garappolo signed a $27.5MM/year contract in 2018, and he had not proven to be a tier 1 QB. And the market has only gone up since then. Wentz hasn't proven to be and elite QB, and he signed for $32MM/year. Your scale is behind where things are realistically today.
its not TRUE, ive listened to Sportscenter and other sports shows, ALL still at this moment reporting its 1yr 23mil deal.. the other 2 are Voidable, meaning they dont exist and yes year to year..

again time to move on..all this contract talk should be moved somewhere else ..just clutter now..im not responding or reading anymore on this thread.. Daks a slightly over average QB at this point, POINT IS hes only worth under 28 MAX and thats reality.. I cant be less interested in hearing about the market, The DC have to pay about 4 more big timers after they just did Tank, if Dak and Company want to have a team to contend 3 more years or so, they need to check their egos and accept some reality deals..again just like TB..

glimmerman

Reaction score
I agree, I believe I said that Brady is far and away the best, IMO. I have seen nothing that suggest we would have gotten him at 25 and I've seen nothing that suggests he is going to get 32. I would say this, if Dak were able to win a Super Bowl next year, I don't think he would have any problem getting paid 32. Hell, he might get it if he lost the Super Bowl but I see nothing that will force the Cowboys to pay him that this year. I just don't see it. As I've said, I expect him to get money that is in the 25 to 27 range but not in the 30s, not this year. JMO
Which is why I don’t have a problem letting him play out the contract. It’s a gamble of millions per year. But if he earns it then it don’t matter at that point. IMO if we offered him 25 at the end of last season he may have signed it. But after wentz got a stupid contract (IMO) then it sets up the market. Just like the rams were dumb by paying gurly that money. Now we have Elliot that is likely better than gurly that wants crazy money. I was hearing 17 a year. No way we blow up either QB or RB market.

Pay Dak 32.5 and Elliot 15. Get it over with. But what do your personally think Cooper is gonna cost us. If we got him for 18 we would be lucky. Julio hasn’t got paid yet.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
its not TRUE, ive listened to Sportscenter and other sports shows, ALL still at this moment reporting its 1yr 23mil deal.. the other 2 are Voidable, meaning they dont exist and yes year to year..

again time to move on..all this contract talk should be moved somewhere else ..just clutter now..im not responding or reading anymore on this thread.. Daks a slightly over average QB at this point, POINT IS hes only worth under 28 MAX and thats reality.. I cant be less interested in hearing about the market, The DC have to pay about 4 more big timers after they just did Tank, if Dak and Company want to have a team to contend 3 more years or so, they need to check their egos and accept some reality deals..again just like TB..

What you are missing is the $23MM isn't the new contract. It's his old contract plus the up front bonus for signing the new contract. In any case, being voidable doesn't mean those years don't exist. They do exist as long as Brady wants to play and the Pats want to keep him. And, do you really think the Pats are going to cut Tom Brady in 2020 if he is health and still wants to play? Come on … lol.

CPanther95

Reaction score
What you are missing is the $23MM isn't the new contract. It's his old contract plus the up front bonus for signing the new contract. In any case, being voidable doesn't mean those years don't exist. They do exist as long as Brady wants to play and the Pats want to keep him. And, do you really think the Pats are going to cut Tom Brady in 2020 if he is health and still wants to play? Come on … lol.

They are voidable by either party and language was added forbidding the Pats from using franchise or transition tags.

For all intents and purposes, it is a one year deal for $23M and Brady is an UFA next year.

blueblood70

Reaction score

NO ITS NOT!! jeez man not one report says ANYTHING otherwise.

the 23 is the raise!! IT WENT UP from the 15 he was scheduled to make(yes 15 hey Dak wake up)..

you obviously luv to think you are right and somehow cant believe a talent 100X better then Dak would have no EGo like your boy Dak and would Take team friendly deals..Daks ranked10-15 at QB in this league at this point and should take 28mil right now and earn the rest down the road , hes afraid the FO will wake up and realize hes not worth it for the 3rd contract and wants it now and thats the reality..

Just because other teams overpaid for Carr, Cousins , and Garrolpo that now realize their Error, the Cowboys arent responsible for matching that or beating it..

you get paid what you are worth IMO Daks worth 25, so 28 should be seen as a favor and sign it play ear the big one on your next one like Wilson did..No reason for Dak to worry if he truly feels hes destined for greatness you take 28 now for 4years and if you out perform that deal after 3 you rip it up and get new one , THAT YOU EARNED..

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They are voidable by either party and language was added forbidding the Pats from using franchise or transition tags.

For all intents and purposes, it is a one year deal for $23M and Brady is an UFA next year.

No, Brady was already scheduled to make $15MM, so he did not get a $23MM raise for this year. He got an $8MM bonus.

A contract is always voidable by the player as long as he wants to retire. And if Brady voids the contract that will be the reason. Surely you don't think after 20 years of being a hero in New England he is going to suddenly decide he wants to be a Ram or an Raven or a Bengal do you?

And no, that doesn't mean it is only a 1 year contract for $23MM, it just means that is the only part that is guaranteed. As long as Brady wants to play in 2020, the second year of the contract will apply, and same for the 3rd year. That is, unless you think the Patriots are going to release Brady due to his inability to win. Is that what you think …?

You seem to be under the impression that every other contract is fully guaranteed and that both the team and player are locked into the full length and the full price. Granted there is usually more of a guaranteed portion than with Brady's contract - actually much more - but the fact is they all have a point where the team can walk away, and the player can walk away and retire anytime he wants. If/when Brady walks away it will be to retire, not because he has a sudden desire to play for another team after 20 years.

And, still, it's pretty ridiculous to treat Brady as the norm. Again, he is a 6 time Super Bowl winner, has won the NFL MVP a few times, has a net worth of $180MM, and has no desire to leave the Patriots as a free agent. Do you really think he has the same drivers as younger players who don't have the money or accomplishments? He is playing because he wants to, not because he needs the money or is lacking the accomplishments. Not everyone is in those shoes.

Last edited:

CPanther95

Reaction score
A contract is always voidable by the player as long as he wants to retire. And no, that doesn't mean it is only a 1 year contract for $23MM, it just means that is the only part that is guaranteed. As long as Brady wants to play in 2020, the second year of the contract will apply, and same for the 3rd year. That is, unless you think the Patriots are going to release Brady due to his inability to win, or Brady is tired of NE and no longer wants to play there. Is that what you think …?

You seem to be under the impression that every other contract is fully guaranteed and that both the team and player are locked into the full length and the full price. Granted there is usually more of a guaranteed portion than with Brady's contract - actually much more - but the fact is they all have a point where the team can walk away, and the player can walk away and retire anytime he wants. If/when Brady walks away it will be to retire, not because he has a sudden desire to play for another team after 20 years.

And, still, it's pretty ridiculous to treat Brady as the norm. Again, he is a 6 time Super Bowl winner, has won the NFL MVP a few times, has a net worth of $180MM, and has no desire to leave the Patriots as a free agent. Do you really think he has the same drivers as younger players who don't have the money or accomplishments? He is playing because he wants to, not because he needs the money or is lacking the accomplishments. Not everyone is in those shoes.

Don't know why you quoted my post if you didn't read it .

Brady is free to go elsewhere in 2020. No, the 2nd year doesn't apply if Brady doesn't want it to, even if he doesn't retire.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
NO ITS NOT!! jeez man not one report says ANYTHING otherwise.

the 23 is the raise!! IT WENT UP from the 15 he was scheduled to make(yes 15 hey Dak wake up)..

you obviously luv to think you are right and somehow cant believe a talent 100X better then Dak would have no EGo like your boy Dak and would Take team friendly deals..Daks ranked10-15 at QB in this league at this point and should take 28mil right now and earn the rest down the road , hes afraid the FO will wake up and realize hes not worth it for the 3rd contract and wants it now and thats the reality..

Just because other teams overpaid for Carr, Cousins , and Garrolpo that now realize their Error, the Cowboys arent responsible for matching that or beating it..

you get paid what you are worth IMO Daks worth 25, so 28 should be seen as a favor and sign it play ear the big one on your next one like Wilson did..No reason for Dak to worry if he truly feels hes destined for greatness you take 28 now for 4years and if you out perform that deal after 3 you rip it up and get new one , THAT YOU EARNED..
Don't know why you quoted my post if you didn't read it .

Brady is free to go elsewhere in 2020. No, the 2nd year doesn't apply if Brady doesn't want it to, even if he doesn't retire.

Talk about not reading. I specifically said that as long as Brady wants to play the second year will apply, and your response is the second year doesn't apply if Brady doesn't want it to. So, you paraphrased what I said and acted as if that is somehow an argument. :facepalm:

In any case being free to go elsewhere is not the same as he will go elsewhere. He also has the choice to stay and play the second year of the contract, but you bizarrely are acting as if a second year isn't even part of the contract. The reality is the contract contemplates a second year, and that second year is already negotiated and built into the contract, therefore if Brady chooses to play the terms are set.

I think your problem is you don't understand that contracts can be written however the parties want, and some provisions can be hard and fast, some can be based on certain contingencies, and some can be at the option of one party or the other or both. You seem to think for a contract to exist everything has to be hard and fast with no contingencies or options. That's simply an incorrect view. Just because a provision can contain an option, it doesn't mean it doesn't exist and the words aren't there. Again, the contract contemplates that 2020 and 2021, and as long as Brady wants to play, and the Pats want him to play, the terms are in place under the contract.

I'm still curious why you think Brady would choose not to play for the Pats unless he were to retire, or why the Pats would choose not to retain Brady as long as he is still playing well. Do you really think either is tired of all the winning and would want to walk away? Answer that question, because the option is what you are so hung up on, and it really makes no sense to be.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Talk about not reading. Or just being obtuse. I specifically said that as long as Brady wants to play the second year will apply, and your response is the second year doesn't apply if Brady doesn't want it to. So, you paraphrased exactly what I said and acted as if that is somehow an argument. :facepalm:

In any case being free to go elsewhere is not the same as he will go elsewhere. He also has the choice to stay and play the second year of the contract, but you bizarrely are acting as if a second year isn't even part of the contract. The reality is the contract contemplates a second year, and that second year is already negotiated and built into the contract, therefore if Brady chooses to play the terms are set.

I think your problem is you don't understand that contracts can be written however the parties want, and some provisions can be hard and fast, some can be based on certain contingencies, and some can be at the option of one party or the other or both. You seem to think for a contract to exist everything has to be hard and fast with no contingencies or options. That's simply an incorrect view. Just because a provision can contain an option, it doesn't mean it doesn't exist and the words aren't there. Again, the contract contemplates that 2020 and 2021, and as long as Brady wants to play, and the Pats want him to play, the terms are in place under the contract.

I'm still curious why you think Brady would choose not to play for the Pats unless he were to retire, or why the Pats would choose not to retain Brady as long as he is still playing well. Do you really think either is tired of all the winning and would want to walk away? Answer that question, because the option is what you are so hung up on, and it really makes no sense to be.

LMAO if both sides have to revisit it and both have to agree again on the new years , its not a contract , thats re-negotiation thats why they are called voidable, it doesnt exist without NEW agreement from both sides..

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LMAO if both sides have to revisit it and both have to agree again on the new years , its not a contract , thats re-negotiation thats why they are called voidable, it doesnt exist without NEW agreement from both sides..

They don't have to revisit it and agree on new years. They simply have to exercise their option, which requires no more than a very brief, written statement that they intend to do so. There is no renegotiation. The terms are set. That's how options work.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Which is why I don’t have a problem letting him play out the contract. It’s a gamble of millions per year. But if he earns it then it don’t matter at that point. IMO if we offered him 25 at the end of last season he may have signed it. But after wentz got a stupid contract (IMO) then it sets up the market. Just like the rams were dumb by paying gurly that money. Now we have Elliot that is likely better than gurly that wants crazy money. I was hearing 17 a year. No way we blow up either QB or RB market.

Pay Dak 32.5 and Elliot 15. Get it over with. But what do your personally think Cooper is gonna cost us. If we got him for 18 we would be lucky. Julio hasn’t got paid yet.

That's really the issue to me as well. Keep in mind, we still have a pretty decent CB we gotta get signed and lets just project that Quinn has a decent year opposite Lawrence, do you just let him walk if he gets you 10 to 12 sacks? I mean, I am not sure I see the Cowboys doing that and I know the Fan Base will be all over the FO if that were to happen. What about Malik Collins, what if he has a break out year and plays crazy good, he's gonna need a new deal as well or are we just going to let him walk as well? This says nothing about Smith and LVE, who will soon be coming up. The idea that the cap is not a real thing just isn't true. It's a hard cap and you do only have so much to go around. Yes, you can make it work by allowing quality depth to leave and bringing in guys who are not as good but somewhere you gotta pay for it. Maybe we don't have an experienced guy to fill in at LB, maybe we don't have an Anthony Brown to play the slot, maybe we end up having to go with a lessor talent there but sooner or later, that's going to show up too. You pay for it somewhere is all I'm suggesting.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Might want to check back on the latest real news about that Brady deal. That really is a bump for this year only, he's a FA after this season when they use their option, which they will.

CPanther95

Reaction score
Talk about not reading. I specifically said that as long as Brady wants to play the second year will apply, and your response is the second year doesn't apply if Brady doesn't want it to. So, you paraphrased what I said and acted as if that is somehow an argument. :facepalm:

You said the second and third years would apply "That is, unless you think the Patriots are going to release Brady".

You were saying that unless he retires, the Patriots had him locked up, now you're trying to shift your argument rather than just admit that you misunderstood an admittedly odd contract.

You equated it with any other contact's option years, which it isn't.

You equated it with the extension that Dak may ultimately get, which it isn't.

But if you want to pretend that everyone just read your post wrong, I'll play along.