Twitter: Todd Archer on Moore as playcaller

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Moore will call Mikes offense he will just change the terminology so it’s an easier transition for the players and Dak for this year.

I think he realizes that learning the WCO terminology could be detrimental in one offseason.

There is no way to know that at this point.

If they're going to run McCarthy's scheme, they will like use his terminology.

It's not as-if the terminology they used in 2019 was "Moore's" terminology. It was the terminology used by Garrett.

The Cowboys have put an emphasis on getting smarter players on offense in recent years.
Dez: Cut
TWill: Cut
Cooper: Acquired
Gallup: Drafted
Randall Cobb; Signed
Tony Pollard: Drafted

Frederick, Martin and Connor Williams are all have above average football intelligence.

La'el is about the only offensive player that seems to be a slower learner type.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
MC? You know it's not Mike Carthy right? I think the whole "analytics embrace", makes it easier to justify the millennial play caller.
McC-arthy. I think he is using the M and one of the Cs from his last name.

CWR

Reaction score
This is exactly what I think a HC should do. The playcall itself often isn't as important as what you'r trying to accomplish.

If McCarthy says "Hey, we need to go 11 personnel and run play action here," it's on Moore to pick the package and specific play, but it's still McCarthy's call. I've always thought that's how it should work.

Absolutely, good take.

VACowboy

Reaction score
Not sure McCarthy could shine Bill's shoes....
No one is saying McCarthy == Parcells. Archer is simply saying that from what he hears, MM will be heavily involved in offensive game-planning and play-calling, similarly to the way BP did it. And actually, offensive scheming and calling plays is kind of McCarthy's wheelhouse so I'm not sure what shining shoes has to do with anything. Do we want McCarthy running things or do we want him to stand around and clap? Pretty easy answer for me.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was surprised MC was keeping Moore. That said, MC must see something in our young OC by keeping him under his wings.
Kellen Moore is highly respected as a "football mind".

We've probably all seen the Jon Gruden video with Moore and Gruden has made comments since then that Moore will be a great coach.

I've also seen interviews with college coaches both the Moore played under as well as played against that had high praise for his "football intelligence".

Several of the Cowboys players have praised his play designs which I don't remember hearing with regards to Garrett or Linehan.

JeffInDC

Reaction score
From the Dallas Morning News:

McCarthy interviewed with Carolina, Cleveland and the New York Giants before talking to the Cowboys. He indicated that he would have pursued Moore if he had landed one of those jobs.

“Kellen Moore, individually, is someone that I was watching from afar, regardless of which opportunity worked out for myself personally,” McCarthy said. “The opportunity to work with Kellen is something I was going to pursue either way.”

So, to anyone that keeps thinking Jerry is pushing anything on him, me thinks ya need to just stop with the conspiracies already.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Let's forget, Mike made this clear this a 2020 thing......

It is the best case scenario for the offense with regards to all of the possible outcomes when they were looking for a new Head Coach and hiring a new coaching staff.

Kellen Moore is highly likely to be a well known and successful OC at some point but as a rookie OC in 2019, he was in a difficult situation because he needed a Strong Head coach. Having a veteran NFL Head Coach that is an Offensive Coach takes the pressure off of Moore as young OC. It keeps Moore in place to work with Dak which is a big benefit because they appear to work well together.

McCarthy's comments about building on what the Offense has already accomplished but completely replacing everything on Defense and Special Teams is obvious just by looking at the coaching staff.

By my count there are 2 hold-over assistant coaches and 1 returning assistant coach and all are on offense.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
From the Dallas Morning News:

McCarthy interviewed with Carolina, Cleveland and the New York Giants before talking to the Cowboys. He indicated that he would have pursued Moore if he had landed one of those jobs.

“Kellen Moore, individually, is someone that I was watching from afar, regardless of which opportunity worked out for myself personally,” McCarthy said. “The opportunity to work with Kellen is something I was going to pursue either way.”

So, to anyone that keeps thinking Jerry is pushing anything on him, me thinks ya need to just stop with the conspiracies already.

Yes, it "should" be very obvious that the Joneses have not pushed any coaches onto McCarthy.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
Statistically, I think Dallas' offense from last year is being massively overrated. They had several games like GB where they were so terrible early on that GB ran prevent for most of the second half and Dallas got to chalk up some meaningless yards and points. They averaged over 37 points per game in 4 games against NYG and Washington. In the rest of the games (including against Miami, NYJ and the LA blowout) they averaged less the 24 which is a middle of the pack offense.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
Statistically, I think Dallas' offense from last year is being massively overrated. They had several games like GB where they were so terrible early on that GB ran prevent for most of the second half and Dallas got to chalk up some meaningless yards and points. They averaged over 37 points per game in 4 games against NYG and Washington. In the rest of the games (including against Miami, NYJ and the LA blowout) they averaged less the 24 which is a middle of the pack offense.
Dallas has 226 yards in the first half and 216 in the second vs GB. The games they were awful were NO, NE and at Phil. Buffalo id probably put in that category as well

Chuck 54

Reaction score
It's all about transition. McCarthy knows that if players struggle with new terminology or he struggles as he learns what players can do well, and if it costs games and the Cowboys don't make the playoffs this year, he will be roasted, not fired, but there's no honey moon this year in Dallas. Everyone expects a good coach to take this team to the playoffs....period. That's all we heard all year, a HS coach or a media guy could lead this team to the playoffs.

I have no doubt he'll do it, but it also wouldn't surprise me if Moore only lasts 1 year in the job or part of the year as a play-caller.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
There is no way to know that at this point.

If they're going to run McCarthy's scheme, they will like use his terminology.

It's not as-if the terminology they used in 2019 was "Moore's" terminology. It was the terminology used by Garrett.

The Cowboys have put an emphasis on getting smarter players on offense in recent years.
Dez: Cut
TWill: Cut
Cooper: Acquired
Gallup: Drafted
Randall Cobb; Signed
Tony Pollard: Drafted

Frederick, Martin and Connor Williams are all have above average football intelligence.

La'el is about the only offensive player that seems to be a slower learner type.

There are things that are known.

We know that McCarthy admired at least some of Moore's play design and calling. He is quoted before the hire that his favorite play of the year was a 2nd down RPO slant that Moore called.

We know that he is going to have Moore install the offense in practice. He has stated that whoever calls plays will have to install the offense.

We know that McCarthy is going to keep the terminology from the current system. IOW, the simpler EP terminology from Moore's existing playbook stays the same and any plays that MM wants to add will require translation.

Frankly there is no reason to believe that MM is going to replace most of the current offense.