Video: Todd Archer seems to think new addition to D-line could be coming soon

_sturt_

Reaction score

His word choice seems to me indicative that he's heard something he thinks is 50/50 or better, but see what you think.

Me, I'm a Lawrence Guy guy... that's really the only free agent out there that I'm enthusiastic about. But if there were a trade, obviously that opens up too many possibilities to assess.

_sturt_

Reaction score
They are not signing NFL caliber players. They prefer the UFL Route and it has worked well
They had not yet. They were filling out the roster with camp bodies... so UFL guys fit that.

This is a different thing. They would be obtaining a player to actually compete for a real 53-man role. Don't listen to me... listen to Archer.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Just sounds like speculation to me. My speculation is no move is going to be made until they give Mazi plenty of time to fail.

_sturt_

Reaction score
speculation
Okay, I'd have thought the same, but it's when you mid-sentence pause and add the specificity... "even in the next week or so"... that that seems like there's something more than mere speculation. Someone's told him about some conversation that's going on, imo... but sure, a lot of things get discussed that never come to anything.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score

His word choice seems to me indicative that he's heard something he thinks is 50/50 or better, but see what you think.

Me, I'm a Lawrence Guy guy... that's really the only free agent out there that I'm enthusiastic about. But if there were a trade, obviously that opens up too many possibilities to assess.

Who is this Lawrence guy? Please clarify, Sturt.

Rayman70

Reaction score
8xmacj.jpg

Please Jerrah,Stevie and Will.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Okay, I'd have thought the same, but it's when you mid-sentence pause and add the specificity... "even in the next week or so"... that that seems like there's something more than mere speculation. Someone's told him about some conversation that's going on, imo... but sure, a lot of things get discussed that never come to anything.
I think you are reading too much into a pause.

Chasing6

Reaction score

I am sure we will be trading some 5th comp picks for something.

gimmesix

Reaction score
You're welcome to that opinion... as I'm welcome to the opinion you're too inclined to not read enough into it. It's all good.
I'm a journalist. I always believe it's a bad idea to read anything into a statement more than what is said. That's why there is so much misinformation that is spread. We'd rather speculate about the unsaid than just take what is said as is.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Who is this Lawrence guy? Please clarify, Sturt.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GuyxLa00.htm

Been a NE starter for years, including 12 games last season. Regarded as a solid run stopper for all that time. Wasn't their NG, but he's 6-4, 315... certainly a large enough man to be a credible 1-tech rotating with Mazi, and eliminating the need to see a 7th round rookie fill that role. Payton nominee, so solid all-around person, plausibly a good big brother to Mazi, and has a great story...

_sturt_

Reaction score
I'm a journalist. I always believe it's a bad idea to read anything into a statement more than what is said. That's why there is so much misinformation that is spread. We'd rather speculate about the unsaid than just take what is said as is.
I hear that... but... as a J-school undergrad :) (me, that is)... you can appreciate that this is a place of fan community conversation/speculation, and importantly... that Archer's words were objectively, accurately reported. :D

tayloner

Reaction score
They've been sitting at 88 players on the roster for awhile, and they are typically pretty intentional with their offseason roster management, so it doesn't seem crazy to me that they'd be targeting 2 vets to join the team around the onset of camp or maybe a week or two in.

conner01

Reaction score
They kinda have to add someone with the numbers we have and the fact they rotate constantly. It will be someone they can get a cheap one year deal with

conner01

Reaction score
They've been sitting at 88 players on the roster for awhile, and they are typically pretty intentional with their offseason roster management, so it doesn't seem crazy to me that they'd be targeting 2 vets to join the team around the onset of camp or maybe a week or two in.
There will be camp cuts they look at I’m sure. They usually sign a guy late but it’s generally someone cheap. We lost a vet I’d liked to have kept but someone offered more than minimum wage lol