Tom Landry, something u guys might like to know

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
gbrittain said:
I am willing to bet there thousands and thousands if not millions of young Cowboy fans who do not know about Landry's military service or that he flew 30 instead of 25 missions.

I didn't know this, so I'm very grateful that I got a chance to learn it

thank you CowboyJoe, and shame on you burmafrd

xpistofer

Reaction score
That comic book was one of the reasons I became a Cowboy fan...

Tom Landry was so great...

burmafrd

Reaction score
I said a REAL COWBOY FAN. That is a fan that has been there most of his adult life and is interested in things BEYOND THE FOOTBALL FIELD. If some of you poor souls don't like that, too bad. Now if you are a kid, that is another story. But there are mostly adults here, so TOO BAD if you got your panties in twist.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
burmafrd said:
I said a REAL COWBOY FAN. That is a fan that has been there most of his adult life and is interested in things BEYOND THE FOOTBALL FIELD. If some of you poor souls don't like that, too bad. Now if you are a kid, that is another story. But there are mostly adults here, so TOO BAD if you got your panties in twist.

metallicblue.gif

http://img400.*************/img400/5497/jerkit9kz.gif

Aikmaniac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If you're an aviation buff like I am, I love stories like these. If interested, I found a link to the history of the 493rd BG of the 8th Air Force.

http://www.493bg.com/

B-17's, B-24's, and B-29's.

How would you like to be the guy that said, "Landry was my co-pilot." :)

Fmart322

Reaction score
Rockytop6 said:
I think the most telling statment I ever heard about Tom Landry was when his nine feet statue was unveiled at Cowboy stadium and his wife Alicia said
"I remember him as being taller than that".

That's a great line by Mrs. landry. I remember him being taller then that as well.

DCC_Landry_bronze.jpg

This picture here shows just how tall he is. see how he towers over Rayfield Wright.
DCC_Landry_SBVI.jpg

burmafrd

Reaction score
Landry was a DB with no speed. He made it by studying the game films -harder then anyone else- and the opposing offenses. the joke in the Giants offices was:"where are the game films? Where else- Landry has them!" they made him a coach since he already was coaching the other players.

Fmart322

Reaction score
Haley94 said:
When i was Kid i had a comic book that told told the whole laundry story from WWII to the Giants to the Dallas Cowboys. It had a christian theme to it. Does anyone remember this?

I remember that and I live in New Jersey.

fortdick

Reaction score
Rockytop6 said:
I think the most telling statment I ever heard about Tom Landry was when his nine feet statue was unveiled at Cowboy stadium and his wife Alicia said
"I remember him as being taller than that".

That made me snot up and make little whinny noises! I guess I am a sensitive guy after all.

:eek::

jimmy40

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
Thank you for posting that Joe. One can never get enough education on a topic as near and dear to my heart as Coach Landry.

I did not know he was honored in such a way by the USAF. After all, it was not the ** he served with but rather the Army Air Corp.

Thanks again Joe.
was there an actual USAF during WWII?

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
Haley94 said:
When i was Kid i had a comic book that told told the whole laundry story from WWII to the Giants to the Dallas Cowboys. It had a christian theme to it. Does anyone remember this?

I had a copy of it and it made a big impression on me.

The one I had was called "Tom Landry and the Dallas Cowboys."

It showed locker room interviews with Landry, Staubach and others after the Super Bowl win over Miami.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
jimmy40 said:
was there an actual USAF during WWII?

No, as was mentioned earlier. United States Air Force was created in 1947, I believe, after WWII. Before that, it was the Army Air Corp. Origninally, it had it's origins in what was then the US Army Signal Corp, Auronautical Division. The first squadron formed in the United States Army was the 1st Aero Squadran in 1913. The rest, as they say, is history.

Useless, but none the less, boring trivia.

:D

Reaction score
I am very surprised that no one mentioned the book/movie "North Dallas Forty" by Pete Gent, a wide receiver for the Cowboys. The book/movie portrayed most of the Cowboys as drunks, drug-users, bad *****, or just plain idiots. Landry was portrayed as an religious fanatic with who hid his morality as long as he could win. Although pure fiction the book had big sales, as did the movie and I can remember being extremely angry with Pete Gent and to this day felt betrayed that a former Cowboy would write such trash even though it had a few funny moments!:grrr:

jem88

Reaction score
Rack said:
:rolleyes:

Yes, all the people that didn't know this... they aren't "real" cowboys fans.

Again, :rolleyes: .
Seriously. I didn't know about Landry's past and to be honest, I really couldn't care less. Great coach though.

jackrussell

Last of the Duke Street Kings
Reaction score
burmafrd said:

Yet another reminder in a long list of who is and who isn't exactly a real Cowboy's fan.:loser:

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
cajuncowboy said:
I have that comic book to this day.

...I also have that comic book. It's now in a plastic baggy although it is well worn. Just part of my Cowboys memorabilia.

The Christian comic book series was well done. Lot's of other titles of different personalities in history. My older sister bought me about twnety titles, but the Cowboys one was the only one I kept.