1. I am excited to announce the launch of ...
    NEWS and RUMORS is a powerful and versatile news and content search engine and reader that provides access to content from a large variety of sites.

NEWS and RUMORS does not track individual users and uses a password-less login system so only an email address is required to login.

Once logged in, you can add your favorite content feeds and searches to your Favorites list, bookmark content you want to read later, and find a lot of global, national and local content on a variety of topics.

Dismiss Notice

Video: Tom Landry's Perfect Game

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by KD, Jun 30, 2020 at 7:29 AM.

1. KD

KD Well-Known Member

2,151 Messages
    117 Likes Received
  2. GMO415

GMO415 Well-Known Member

9,559 Messages
    16,100 Likes Received
  3. cowboyec

cowboyec Well-Known Member

17,918 Messages
    20,597 Likes Received
  4. cowboyec

17,918 Messages
    20,597 Likes Received
    :flagwave:MEREDITH:flagwave:

HELLUVA QB AND AN ALL-TIME GOOD'N.

5. Point-of-the-Star

Point-of-the-Star Well-Known Member

1,105 Messages
    1,465 Likes Received
    I remember griping about hime with the family (we all griped) gathered around the tv on Sunday afternoons. Grandpa especially! Our big gripe ... going for FG's vs TD's.

That's a weak gripe. I miss them ol late 60's- 70's Cowboys !

Meredith quit before his time. He shoulda gone into the 1970's.

6. Bullflop

Bullflop Well-Known Member

16,308 Messages
    19,801 Likes Received
    That commentator was 100% correct about 1966 being a year for the Cowboys that was "other worldly." Their offense was certainly rolling along in a way that we'll likely never see again. With Meredith and Bob Hayes playing such an active role, it was absolutely awesome to behold. It was a shame they didn't finish it with a Super Bowl victory, as Green Bay and Bart Starr won that contest by a last minute score. Those were the days, my friend. :)

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020 at 8:20 AM
  7. Diehardblues

Diehardblues Well-Known Member

29,056 Messages
    17,088 Likes Received
    1966 was Meredith’s greatest season as he won the equivalent of the leagues MVP now leading Cowboys to their 1st NFL title game.

I was just an young teenager but I recall it fairly well. It was his breakout season after earlier struggles.

Luther, Rayman70, Tangle_Foot and 5 others like this.
  8. Shake_Tiller

Shake_Tiller Well-Known Member

1,183 Messages
    1,120 Likes Received
    Meredith might have been the most talented QB the Cowboys have had. That's saying a lot because I revere Staubach and deeply appreciate Aikman's Hall of Fame career. But Meredith was a phenomenal talent. Meredith had a different personality and I don't think was in love with the game the way some others are. He was a laid-back, fun-loving guy. But watch some of his deep passes to Bob Hayes to appreciate the touch and timing of his throws. Meredith also took an awful beating in his first few seasons. The Cowboys were rag-tag -- castoffs from other teams. In those days, the NFL did expandion teams no favors. Meredith took the kind of beatings no modern QBs would endure. The rules were much different. But if you want to understand how Meredith's teammates felt about him, read Walt Garrison's great, funny, insightful book, "Once a Cowboy." The Meredith stories are absolutely incredible.

9. cowboyec

17,918 Messages
    20,597 Likes Received
    well said.
    Walt's book is phenomenal.
    Dandy truly was GREAT.

10. Established1971

Established1971 fiveandcounting

3,253 Messages
    1,734 Likes Received
    I would have loved to see Dan Reeves. He was still on the roster in 71 when I started watching but he was barely used if at all. He must have been a decent 3rd down back in his day.

Pantone282C and cowboyec like this.
  11. Williamsboys

Williamsboys Well-Known Member

573 Messages
    556 Likes Received
    "When we had Class " Players and coaches alike.. When winning was more important than the money..
    Some players had side jobs to make ends meet. And the Landry Hat..Oh that hat,

TexasBoys2288 and cowboyec like this.
  12. CooterBrown

CooterBrown Well-Known Member

1,940 Messages
    946 Likes Received
    In those days there was no such thing as a 3rd down back. Rosters were smaller and teams did not have the luxury of having a running back just for certain situations. But, in the modern sense of the phrase, he was not a third down back. He was the starting running back and led the team in rushing in 1966. He also scored 16 touchdowns in 1966 to lead the league in that category and made all-pro. Reeves became a player-coach in 1969. He was a backup for Calvin Hill and then Duane Thomas. He retired after the 1972 season.

13. Pantone282C

Pantone282C Zone Supporter

4,930 Messages
    6,864 Likes Received
    He was money. Pulled more than one game out of the fire. He would have been a good HC for Dallas.

14. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

46,961 Messages
    47,336 Likes Received
    Greatest NFL Head Coaches:
    1. Belichick
    2. Jimmy
    3. Landry

Pantone282C likes this.
  15. dwmyers

dwmyers Well-Known Member

2,170 Messages
    226 Likes Received
    A case can be made that Dallas invented the third down back in its use of Preston Pearson in the middle 1970s.

D-

16. Diehardblues

Diehardblues Well-Known Member

29,056 Messages
    17,088 Likes Received
    Greatest NFL Head Coaches

George Halas
    Paul Brown
    Vince Lombardi
    Tom Landry
    Don Shula

17. Rayman70

Rayman70 Well-Known Member

16,854 Messages
    14,933 Likes Received
    the perfect game IMO was the 1977 SB when Staubach and the Cowboys done everything well. Denver never had a chance. Roger did what he had to do as did everyone. Don Meredith tho was very underrated and overshadowed. Just not on Rogers level.

Pantone282C likes this.
  18. Rayman70

16,854 Messages
    14,933 Likes Received
    the Mount Rushmore of NFL coaches.

19. Rayman70

16,854 Messages
    14,933 Likes Received
    I hope MM brings back the oline shift as a staple of the offense. Wouldnt that be awesome?

Pantone282C likes this.
  20. Rayman70

16,854 Messages
    14,933 Likes Received
    Jerry had a chance to hire Dan Reeves and decided to go Dave Campo instead lol..NUFF SAID.

Diehardblues and Pantone282C like this.