Video: Tony Pollard - All-22 Film Session

RJ_MacReady

It's all in the reflexes
Reaction score
That opened my eyes on Looney. After being fairly solid in 2018 when he was thrusted into the starting C position, I guess I just glossed over his play his year, which was contrary to some posters calling him out as pretty bad.

I guess there’s a reason that teams didn’t “steal” him away in the offseason. Well, at least he’s better than that 2010-2012 turnstile at the Center position. That garbage killed drives and took years off Tony’s career.

Reactions: CWR

Knotamus

Reaction score
This season could have been much different even without Dak had the OL not incurred so many injuries..

That said.. once we get Collins, Smith, and Martin at full strength next year.. this offense will be explosive. Add that both Conner’s are getting better, Biadaz will have a year under his belt, backups like Steele and Knight are getting real-time experience, and not to mention we’ll prob draft an OL in the top 3 Rd’s..our OL will be a strength.

All I want to hear this off-season is: Defense, Defense, Defense!!

Cmac

Reaction score
Beautiful breakdown.....but I ain't about to say anything about the OL to keep the Zeke bashers quiet. This might be our OC. Touched on a lot of good points, notably to get guys involved....properly.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
That opened my eyes on Looney. After being fairly solid in 2018 when he was thrusted into the starting C position, I guess I just glossed over his play his year, which was contrary to some posters calling him out as pretty bad.

I guess there’s a reason that teams didn’t “steal” him away in the offseason. Well, at least he’s better than that 2010-2012 turnstile at the Center position. That garbage killed drives and took years off Tony’s career.

Joe was better earlier in the season. Maybe he's running out of gas for the year.

Maybe too he's better in pass blocking than run blocking? Didn't give him a chance to compete for LG after a year at C. Not powerful.

But damn, he was just slow dancing on a few there. Don't like to see Joe not putting in the effort.

They should play Biadasz.

Iago33

Reaction score
Joe was better earlier in the season. Maybe he's running out of gas for the year.

Maybe too he's better in pass blocking than run blocking? Didn't give him a chance to compete for LG after a year at C. Not powerful.

But damn, he was just slow dancing on a few there. Don't like to see Joe not putting in the effort.

They should play Biadasz.
I think they are concerned about McGovern needing a vet next to him.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
That said.. once we get Collins, Smith, and Martin at full strength next year.. this offense will be explosive. Add that both Conner’s are getting better, Biadaz will have a year under his belt, backups like Steele and Knight are getting real-time experience, and not to mention we’ll prob draft an OL in the top 3 Rd’s..our OL will be a strength.

I remember last year before Frederick retired. Collins looked on schedule for a pro bowl this year, Tyron looked like he had gotten beyond his back issues, and Frederick should get back to being Frederick.

Williams was playing better than he ever had, *and* McGovern would be pushing him at LG.

4 Pro Bowlers plus the best of those two. Looked like we were heading for greatness.

But, nope. This year, the two guys fighting for the *last* starting spot are our best olinemen. Another Cowboy dream that died. Sad.

*If* Tyron and La'el come back healthy, *and* no one else mysteriously breaks, we're looking good.

The prospects for next year *today* look similar but not as good as the prospects for this year did a year ago, with 4 solid starters, and two young drafted guys for the final spot - this time McGovern and Biadasz. Looks like a strength. Hope so.

Praxit

Reaction score
... I figure Pollard use's the last of these games to beef up his stock. Zeke is going nowhere, so Pollard can cash in somewhere else.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Tried to tell Looney apologists over and over that the guy is nothing more than a solid backup.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Beautiful breakdown.....but I ain't about to say anything about the OL to keep the Zeke bashers quiet. This might be our OC. Touched on a lot of good points, notably to get guys involved....properly.

It definitely AINT the OC. In fact, he specifically said that he liked what Moore was doing.

TLAMGUY

Reaction score
*If* Tyron and La'el come back healthy, *and* no one else mysteriously breaks, we're looking good.

I like La'el coming back healthy but not so sure about Tyron Smith. The 9 year perennial 7x pro bowler was officially out in week 5 last year (ankle) and again in week 5 this year (neck). Penei Sewell, OT, Oregon, looks to be the top OL in the draft but and he is just a big as Tyron. He is projected to go in the top half of the 1st round in the upcoming draft and I don't see him dropping very far...probably top 5 and the Cowboys currently hold the 8th pick. If, by some miracle he does fall (and we are still in the 8th pick), I wouldn't be mad a Jerry if that is the pick.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I like La'el coming back healthy but not so sure about Tyron Smith. The 9 year perennial 7x pro bowler was officially out in week 5 last year (ankle) and again in week 5 this year (neck). Penei Sewell, OT, Oregon, looks to be the top OL in the draft but and he is just a big as Tyron. He is projected to go in the top half of the 1st round in the upcoming draft and I don't see him dropping very far...probably top 5 and the Cowboys currently hold the 8th pick. If, by some miracle he does fall (and we are still in the 8th pick), I wouldn't be mad a Jerry if that is the pick.

Getting a franchise LT is worth a top 5 pick. I don't think we'll have the chance, but we'll see.

There is some question about how healthy Collins is going forward.
https://cowboyszone.com/threads/the-break-lael-collins-didnt-have-any-cartilege-in-his-hip.470589/

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
For being an ex-Olineman, Voch upsets me a lot with his analysis of certain Oline play. Voch doesn't get it at times. Listening to him critique certain players is truly taxing.

Hey, Voch, it's not the player. Many times it's the dumb blocking scheme they are coached to run. Not even your fat *** would be able to make those blocks which you critique against Looney and Steele due to the wrong blocking scheme!

ItzKelz

Reaction score
For being an ex-Olineman, Voch upsets me a lot with his analysis of certain Oline play. Voch doesn't get it at times. Listening to him critique certain players is truly taxing.

Hey, Voch, it's not the player. Many times it's the dumb blocking scheme they are coached to run. Not even your fat *** would be able to make those blocks which you critique against Looney and Steele due to the wrong blocking scheme!
Honestly, I thought he was unfair a couple of times to Looney as McGovern is no Martin and whiffed on a couple of combo blocks. Overall I thought he was right. When we have capable players running the blocking scheme we seem to do well.

Cmac

Reaction score
Your opinion I guess. I think Moore has done an great job since he took over.
Yep, your opinion too. Beautiful thing about the board. All good. No name calling is even more beautiful.....never personal. My man! Enjoy the passion.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Honestly, I thought he was unfair a couple of times to Looney as McGovern is no Martin and whiffed on a couple of combo blocks. Overall I thought he was right. When we have capable players running the blocking scheme we seem to do well.
I agree with he being unfair towards Looney because of the inexperienced McGovern playing next to him, but Voch himself admitted he doesn't like Looney. The thing that gets me is that Voch is busy blaming Looney, yet he fails to realize the zone blocking scheme being used is inefficient for Looney (or anyone else playing Center) on certain plays because the DT is too far away to be able to reach on time before the DT beats you to the gap and through the line of scrimmage. The Oline would have been better served, efficiently, to run a different scheme on certain defensive alignments.