Video: Tony Pollard - All-22 Film Session

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
... I figure Pollard use's the last of these games to beef up his stock. Zeke is going nowhere, so Pollard can cash in somewhere else.

Pollard is not getting a starting RB job on any other team, unless they have injuries.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I like Voch and appreciate his passion and his buying All 22 to do these.

All that said any video guys go in with agendas it seems.

I mean it is a TP break down and he is showing us over 12 minutes exactly the one elite TP play and ignoring basically all the rest.
He does a good job explaining how blocking failed but again does zero to show how TP maximizes any of those plays beyond he 1 where where he legit smoked the defense for 40 yards.

So what's clear is he set out in this video not to honestly breakdown TP but instead to rebut the fact TP had so many minimally productive runs.

Here's the actual TP play log.
p is for pass reception.

3 yards
3 yards
p for 12 yards
p for 4 yards
2 yards
1 yard TD
7 yards
p for 30 yards
p for 1 yard
0 yards
p for 4 yards
halftime
-1 yards
2 yards
1 yard
4th quarter
5 yards
6 yards
40 yards!!! TD

Watching the game Dallas basically gave up on the run for a large swath of the game. They have many times this year so nothing new.
But with about 8 mins left they went back to TP and his speed and burst really paid off.
His last 3 carries with 8 mins left or less went for 51 yards total.
That is special and Zeke of 2020 doesn't do that.
But Zeke to his credit probably gets a lot more out of those first 8 carries. He is used to carrying a DL forward 2 yards whereas TP is not.

A critical video break down should probably detail both what TP does really well and what may still need to be developed.
What was clear is when you get TP the ball in wide open space he is a terror. His speed jumps off the screen and that speed gets him on top of defenders so fast they can't break down to tackle him.
His one cut ability is quite nice.
He also has solid to plus hands.

Growth areas:
His routes weren't really that great. The swing route he showed early was just kind of occupying a defender but the pass was thrown anyway and it was mostly a throwaway because TP didn't run an actual route to win versus a slow defender.
Power. TP to his credit did a great job of scoring on a 1 yard run that wasn't blocked very well.But he basically just stretched the ball out while diving forward after making no head way with his legs. Most of the runs when a guy grabbed him it was just over at that point. Leg strength and forward body lean will come here I think.

I think as a Coach I'd really like to use TP like a traditional lightning back. Defense tired? Let TP roll.
I'd also design plays for him to be open in space. And drill them until he is really running nasty routes on those plays. If a wheel route is the thign then he's gotta use the space to his advantage to set those defenders up a cut back or to beat them to sideline. Can't just jog into space.
But 3rd and 1 and I am QB sneaking before I hand it off to TP. So that's an area where I'd rely on my thunder back.