Tony Pollard missing from the passing game

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Pollard had 4 receptions through the first 3 games of the season but hasn't been targeted in the passing game since then.

With Zeke obviously being the work horse back in this running game I really thought that Pollard would
have room to expand his role in this Kellen Moore scheme in a "Moore" receiving option out of the back field, motioned wide, different look on short curls and screens, etc, all that good Ole Boise state wide open creativity.

After seeing 4 targets through the first 3 games it seems as though the page has been removed from that part of the play book, but Im hoping that Kellen took the time to re visit the potential that Pollard brings in that limited role during this bye week time.

Pollard has an extremely high ceiling, and I realize the kid is a rookie, but he has done nothing but positive every time that he has been given an opportunity.

Its a long season and I want to see Zeke healthy and running strong still in December, and nobody is making a claim that Pollard even needs to carve out a 50 percent role, but Pollard can help keep Zeke fresh a bit, and is deserving of an expanded role.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s mind boggling to watch the return of the ghost of Scott Linehan. Pollard is a weapon this team just refuses to use other than occasional standard runs off tackle. I’ve seen middle school offenses with more creativity in using players.

I just don’t understand it.

Last edited:

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
It’s mind boggling to watch the return of the ghost of Scott Linehan. Pollard is weapon this team just refuses to use other than occasional standard runs off tackle. I’ve seen middle school offenses with more creativity in using players.

I was like everyone else, really excited about Linehans departure, and the hopeful attributes that Kellen Moore would bring.
I believe that Moore actually has some really creative pages in his playbook, but the kid is wearing a neck collar, possibly even a choke collar at this point.

reddyuta

Reaction score
It’s mind boggling to watch the return of the ghost of Scott Linehan. Pollard is weapon this team just refuses to use other than occasional standard runs off tackle. I’ve seen middle school offenses with more creativity in using players.

what a waste of draft capital and talent,why even pick him if they don't want to use him creatively at all.sean peyton would make Pollard a weapon.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was like everyone else, really excited about Linehans departure, and the hopeful attributes that Kellen Moore would bring.
I believe that Moore actually has some really creative pages in his playbook, but the kid is wearing a neck collar, possibly even a choke collar at this point.
I think it’s the Jones culture. Jerry and his silver spoon kids are the only constants year after year.

Tangle_Foot

Reaction score
We're doing ourselves a disservice by not getting Pollard involved in the offense. This staff has proven that they can be stubborn when it comes to personnel, having a talented and well-paid Elliott seems to have put "justification" ahead of "creativity". The biggest disappointment about this thinking is that there's room for both:(

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I think it’s the Jones culture. Jerry and his silver spoon kids are the only constants year after year.
That's definitely part of the issue, but what is so frustrating is not embracing a spark.

Its like we see a burning amber, and rather than blow on it to provide a bigger flame, we want to squash it out.

That could have caused a forest fire, we need to stomp it out.. BS,, this needs to change.

I want to see young talent embraced, utilized, and built around to expand their growth, their ceiling.

This New Culture as you have stated is like a Hollywood movie where the lead role actor gets all the lines, no room for sub talent.

This offense has the talent in place to be so very diverse, dangerous.

Ive got my fingers crossed that coming off a bye week that the powers in play actually took some time to review some film and realize that now is not the time and Pollard is not the player that needs to be eased in.

This kid is ready now.

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
Agreed. Can you imagine the 2 RB sets and plays we could run with Zeke and Pollard on the field? They’re both different RB’s as well. Zeke is more if a power, grinder back (who is also great at blocking), while Pollard reminds me of a lite version of Kamara. Small and slippery, but fast. I wish we’d run them like the Saints ran Kamara and Ingram back in NO.

Why aren’t we running more sets like these? I’m honestly not sure.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
We're doing ourselves a disservice by not getting Pollard involved in the offense. This staff has proven that they can be stubborn when it comes to personnel, having a talented and well-paid Elliott seems to have put "justification" ahead of "creativity". The biggest disappointment about this thinking is that there's room for both:(

Its almost to the point of pure laziness, can being stubborn and lazy be defined at the same level as ineptitude?

That combination of "character" can be misconstrued as ignorance.

I honestly don't believe that ignorance is the issue on this coaching staff, but Ive been wrong before.

I just honestly have know idea anymore.

Last edited:

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Do we ever use our talent like we should?

the way this thing should be set up is Elliot should get between 1000-1100 yards and pollard should get 500 yards and 400 receiving
Sure, but Zeke is a beast in a successful screen.
Its like this franchise pays the top shelf money, and puts all the other toys back in the closet.
We gonna get our moneys worth...

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Pollard had 4 receptions through the first 3 games of the season but hasn't been targeted in the passing game since then.

With Zeke obviously being the work horse back in this running game I really thought that Pollard would
have room to expand his role in this Kellen Moore scheme in a "Moore" receiving option out of the back field, motioned wide, different look on short curls and screens, etc, all that good Ole Boise state wide open creativity.

After seeing 4 targets through the first 3 games it seems as though the page has been removed from that part of the play book, but Im hoping that Kellen took the time to re visit the potential that Pollard brings in that limited role during this bye week time.

Pollard has an extremely high ceiling, and I realize the kid is a rookie, but he has done nothing but positive every time that he has been given an opportunity.

Its a long season and I want to see Zeke healthy and running strong still in December, and nobody is making a claim that Pollard even needs to carve out a 50 percent role, but Pollard can help keep Zeke fresh a bit, and is deserving of an expanded role.
Thank you Typhus for your well thought out post. I'll bring these points to the coaching staff for consideration ASAP. I can tell you that Kellen Moore has about 500 new plays drawn up and he has only added a quarter of those to the Cowboys playbook. The best ones, he's trying not to overexpose so opponents don't key on them when studying game tape. Maybe some of those involve Pollard. Please forgive me for being full of it and making it up as I go along. :p

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Thank you Typhus for your well thought out post. I'll bring these points to the coaching staff for consideration ASAP. I can tell you that Kellen Moore has about 500 new plays drawn up and he has only added a quarter of those to the Cowboys playbook. The best ones, he's trying not to overexpose so opponents don't key on them when studying game tape. Maybe some of those involve Pollard. Please forgive me for being full of it and making it up as I go along. :p
No worries brother, and I will step it up and buy lunch if you bring the staff, when you talk to them.
No worries brother, and I will step it up and buy lunch if you bring the staff, when you talk to them.

Zman5

Reaction score
This is typical JG crap . He doesn't like to play younger players. This also happened with Demarco Murray. When he was clearly better than Felix Jones, JG kept using Jones instead.
It wasn't until injury to Jones, Murray got his first start. What did Murray do on his first game as a starter? Broke the Cowboys single game rushing record.

Same thing happened with Miles Austin vs Roy Williams.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is typical JG crap . He doesn't like to play younger players. This also happened with Demarco Murray. When he was clearly better than Felix Jones, JG kept using Jones instead.
It wasn't until injury to Jones, Murray got his first start. What did Murray do on his first game as a starter? Broke the Cowboys single game rushing record.

Same thing happened with Miles Austin vs Roy Williams.
Don’t underestimate Jerry’s role in all this. I heard him a few years ago on that ridiculous radio show he does saying something about, “We play who we pay”, and “if we’re paying big money to a guy, he’s gonna get big playing time.”

If he means what he says, I believe Jerry dictates playing time for certain players. Zeke is now the highest paid RB in the league, so Jerry tells Garrett he expects to see that money being spent on the field.