Tony Pollard missing from the passing game

StuckMojo

Reaction score
I don’t have high expectations of this staff doing anything that would be considered above average coaching.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Zeke is every bit the workhorse RB that Emmitt was.

But if people like you were allowed to decide it back then Emmitt Smith would not be the all time leading rusher today and the Cowboys almost certainly wouldn't have had as much success in that decade.

If you're scared get a dog. This is a man's game.
CR is a troll and EE hater we all know this.. EE is a new era version of Emmitt and doesnt need to pulled off the field.. Roy doesnt see it but we all know ES was not a big play burst explosive player, he was volume guy that moved the chains and was always available ie a workhorse who doesnt get hurt..

They are very similar running styles and EE is even a bit more athletic..

People are blinded by the 90s teams and can’t see talent and skill in the current players because of the SB drought but its there..

Doesnt mean i dont want to see more of pollard but EE is fine , hes not holding anyone or the team back,, our issues are more of scheme, poor coaching and defense at times...

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I really thought they were going to use Pollard more as far as methodically moving the ball down the field and then getting it to Elliot in the red zone

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
CR is a troll and EE hater we all know this.. EE is a new era version of Emmitt and doesnt need to pulled off the field.. Roy doesnt see it but we all know ES was not a big play burst explosive player, he was volume guy that moved the chains and was always available ie a workhorse who doesnt get hurt..

They are very similar running styles and EE is even a bit more athletic..

People are blinded by the 90s teams and can’t see talent and skill in the current players because of the SB drought but its there..

Doesnt mean i dont want to see more of pollard but EE is fine , hes not holding anyone or the team back,, our issues are more of scheme, poor coaching and defense at times...
First of all. Ezekiel Elliott takes himself out of the game more times than I'm comfortable with. I don't know why they're not using the rookie. As often as I think they should I don't care about rushing records I care about winning football games. I thought they would use Elliott more in the red zone book. Split The Running methodically getting the ball downfield. I still don't think this offense of coordinator found any kind of consistent game plan

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I won’t be too hard on them about Pollard. They need to figure out what to do with Cobb, Austin, Gallup and Zeke first. Seems like it changes from week to week.
And it probably should. Change week-to-week. Depending on our opponent I'm just not sure that that's what's happening I totally can't stand this coaching scheme staff or any of it

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I'm having a tough time believing Garrett is innocent of overruling Moore in his play calling and his inclinations to use Pollard.

Throughout his reign as the Cowboys head coach, he's been altogether highly hesitant to put his young rookies to good use.

There was a time when I had hoped he'd change his overconservative tendencies but considering the past, that time is over.

Last edited:

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Pollard had 4 receptions through the first 3 games of the season but hasn't been targeted in the passing game since then.

With Zeke obviously being the work horse back in this running game I really thought that Pollard would
have room to expand his role in this Kellen Moore scheme in a "Moore" receiving option out of the back field, motioned wide, different look on short curls and screens, etc, all that good Ole Boise state wide open creativity.

After seeing 4 targets through the first 3 games it seems as though the page has been removed from that part of the play book, but Im hoping that Kellen took the time to re visit the potential that Pollard brings in that limited role during this bye week time.

Pollard has an extremely high ceiling, and I realize the kid is a rookie, but he has done nothing but positive every time that he has been given an opportunity.

Its a long season and I want to see Zeke healthy and running strong still in December, and nobody is making a claim that Pollard even needs to carve out a 50 percent role, but Pollard can help keep Zeke fresh a bit, and is deserving of an expanded role.

• Pollard contributing even when he does not touch the ball:
    • Pollard lined up in the backfield with Zeke more than once in the Eagles games.
      • In previous games that had only happened 1 or zero times per game.
    • He was the lone RB in the Austin TD play.
      • They faked a hand-off to Pollard then pitched to Austin.
      • I like how they had Austin reverse directions instead of running an end-around or jet sweep.
      • Note: Both Pollard and Austin have contributed when they didn't touch the ball.
        • They often have Austin moving in the backfield pre and/or post snap.
        • Same with Pollard when he is in the game.
  • They had Pollard and Olawale together on a play where Dak ran the ball.
    • Olawale crossed in front on Dak from left to right.
    • Pollard crossed front of Dak from right to left.
    • Dak faked the hand-off to Pollard going left but kept the ball and followed Olawale to the right for 7 yards.
  • They had Pollard and Zeke together on a 3rd and 8 in the redzone (Eagles game).
    • Pollard went in motion initially crossing behind Dak from left to right, but then reversing and going out into the left flat.
    • Dak threw it to Zeke in the right flat.
  • Pollard and Zeke were together in the backfield on the play Kellen Moore discussed about Zeke blocking a DE.
    • Left Pollard, Middle Dak, Right Zeke
    • Zeke motions out to a WR spot on the left.
    • Zeke motions back toward the inside and at the snap angle blocks a DE completely blowing him up.
    • Dak pitches to Pollard.
    • Moore said Zeke had been petitioning to block a DE.
  • Pollard has made several good blocks this season despite limited snaps played.
    • He had a pass block against a Jets LB on a pass play to Austin.
      • It was about as good of a block as you'll see by a RB.
      • Pollard put the LB on the ground.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
And it probably should. Change week-to-week. Depending on our opponent I'm just not sure that that's what's happening I totally can't stand this coaching scheme staff or any of it
I mean sometimes it will change but I think they should stick to their gameplay and identity from week to week regardless of opponent.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Pollard had 4 receptions through the first 3 games of the season but hasn't been targeted in the passing game since then.

With Zeke obviously being the work horse back in this running game I really thought that Pollard would
have room to expand his role in this Kellen Moore scheme in a "Moore" receiving option out of the back field, motioned wide, different look on short curls and screens, etc, all that good Ole Boise state wide open creativity.

After seeing 4 targets through the first 3 games it seems as though the page has been removed from that part of the play book, but Im hoping that Kellen took the time to re visit the potential that Pollard brings in that limited role during this bye week time.

Pollard has an extremely high ceiling, and I realize the kid is a rookie, but he has done nothing but positive every time that he has been given an opportunity.

Its a long season and I want to see Zeke healthy and running strong still in December, and nobody is making a claim that Pollard even needs to carve out a 50 percent role, but Pollard can help keep Zeke fresh a bit, and is deserving of an expanded role.

Being a re iever in the NFL is o e of the toughest adjustments. If he is in for relieving Zeke then catching and getting dump offs is what we should expect. With focus on deep passing game I am not surprised he is not the target.

It's Tough for WR from college to.adjust to NFL passing game much less a guy who was primarily a RB. Perhaps he is not getting open or used as decoy. I doubt if it's Moore or Garrett since Dak makes the call where to throw. And I doubt if he is primary target on any play and he shouldn't be

Us cowboys fans project him to be Kamara and he is not as talented so his learning curve is longer

Plus he has only played 7 NFL games, given this is not Madden football we also need to tapper our expectations

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We waste talent. First Rod Smith and now Tony Pollard. It's criminal.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Agreed. Can you imagine the 2 RB sets and plays we could run with Zeke and Pollard on the field? They’re both different RB’s as well. Zeke is more if a power, grinder back (who is also great at blocking), while Pollard reminds me of a lite version of Kamara. Small and slippery, but fast. I wish we’d run them like the Saints ran Kamara and Ingram back in NO.

Why aren’t we running more sets like these? I’m honestly not sure.

That kind of formation is good for 5 or 6 plays a game. You can't consistently run out of that formation.

Plus I am not sure Pollard is all that.... He is raw and his learning curve is longer and he 8s no Alvin kamara

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Each touch by one guy means less touched by another
I love the spark pollard can bring but it’s a tough balancing act
Zeke carries are down so it’s not like we are running him more taking those touches
Exactly. Where is Pollard in the pecking order...
In no specific order
Zeke, cooper, Gallup, Cobb, written, jarwin .

So how many touches should he get per game?

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
I agree that they need to find more ways to use Pollard, but we did see a lot more creativity in the Philly game. Hopefully that continues. I am more worried about the creativity of the defensive coaches.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Just rewatched the Eagles game. There were multiple plays where Pollard and Zeke were both in the backfield. Also, the first TD to Austin was set up by a fake to Pollard.

Time denotes time into the video:

13:48 - 2 back set
Next play - Fake to Pollard, TD flick to Austin
35:50 - 2 back set, Day sacked with Pollard out in the flat
60:00 - 2 back set
60:19:57 - Pollard in motion, Dak sacked

http://fullmatchtv.com/index.php/nfl/dallas-cowboys-vs-philadelphia-eagles-oct-20-2019/

Good call.

To.satisfy cowboys fans sometimes we need two balls in the game at the same time

cern

Reaction score
nothing in the dismantling of the eagles has convinced me the ghost of linehan has returned. several reasons pollard hasn't been used in the passing game are cooper, gallup, cobb and witten. and also zeke. it's hard to spread it around at times. I forgot to mention the tiny tavon Austin as well.