Twitter: Tony Pollard vs Saquon Barkely Comparison (since 2019)

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Zeke appears to have been injured since he signed that extension. Zeke extension has been a disaster.

Zeke just isnt very good anymore. Without a dominant line to get him to the 2nd level he struggles. Lacks speed to get outside and lacks the quickness to make guys miss.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Disagree. You do know Zeke was playing injured almost all last season don't you?

Why was he playing injured? He should have sat his @ZZ down and let Pollard have his day. Too big of an ego obviously and it hurt the team.

Was Zeke hurt the two seasons prior as well? Pollard ran better in all of them. Pollard is just the better, more dynamic runner. You Zeke apologists still holding on is cute, but almost pathetic at this point.

jrumann59

Reaction score
I like Pollard for what he is- one of the best change of pace backs in the NFL. We shouldn't oversell him though. I don't think he'll have the same success as the main cow bell back.

If we run him as our main every down back y'all will turn on him faster than you turned on Zeke and we'll have wasted another talent.
Agreed look at CMAC if want see what happens to a "smallish" RB getting the main load

Ken

Reaction score
agree.

P is great on those outside C gap runs.

But he doesn’t have the power for A/B gap runs.

and he can’t pass block.

he’s also UFA after the season.
"But he doesn’t have the power for A/B gap runs."

Barkley- 4 broken tackles- 1 broken tackle per 40 attempts.
Zeke- 9 broken tackles- 1 broken tackle per 26 attempts
TP- 7 broken tackles- 1 broken tackle per 18 att.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I saw this on Facebook. Just means Barkley has been hurt a bunch and that Pollard hasn't had many carries. That said, I'd rather have Pollard right now. Can't play if you are on the sidelines injured most of your career.

I think the point is that Pollard has pretty much matched Barkley's production in fewer carries. Beyond that, we can't draw a whole lot of conclusions because we don't know if Pollard would have been able to do that as the lead back, would have produced as well with more carries in a more condensed amount of games or if he would have been able to hold up to a heavier workload.

It's possible that in a lead role with a lot more carries Pollard could have maintained the same pace he's had with fewer carries in a secondary role, but I always think of Troy Hambick. When he was a backup/sub to Emmitt Smith, you probably could have compared his numbers favorably to any starting back. When he became the lead back, defenses essentially shut him down.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
agree.

P is great on those outside C gap runs.

But he doesn’t have the power for A/B gap runs.

and he can’t pass block.

he’s also UFA after the season.

I thought he showed better ability to run up the middle this year than we had previously seen. Of course, Elliott had some success on the edges, too, when he wasn't hurt, but we tend to run both players mainly to their strengths. We are much more successful when we mix it up with both of them.

khiladi

Reaction score
Barkley is over-rated and there is a myth that surrounds his aura. For every big run, he's racking up multiple negative type runs and it was his knock in college. His athleticism wows you with a big play catching or running, but as a runner that punishes a defensive front, he isn't the guy. Even in his first couple years, the RG was not forcing defenses out of the cover 2 zones, which was the main driver for drafting him.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like Pollard for what he is- one of the best change of pace backs in the NFL. We shouldn't oversell him though. I don't think he'll have the same success as the main cow bell back.

If we run him as our main every down back y'all will turn on him faster than you turned on Zeke and we'll have wasted another talent.
It's nice to see a smart comment on here! Salud....

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Not, it shows Barkley has been injured. As for Pollard, he probably is a little underused, but we don't know how he would hold up with a dramatic increase in usage. He hasn't been the featured RB since high school.

Maybe Barkley wouldn't be injured so much if they didn't use him so much when he was healthy. And I agree pollard probably can not hold up to 20 carries a game but he's earned more than 5. He should when running we'll get about 10. Which would keep Zeke at 10-15 if they are running well and not behind. And if Barkley wasn't trying to carry 20 times a game maybe he doesn't get hurt but we'll never know.

Creeper

Reaction score
The Saquon Barkley pick by the Giants was as bad as the Zeke pick by the Cowboys. I said it then and it is still true. RBs are just not worth spending a top20 pick anymore. I would say even a 1st round pick is throwing too much value at the position. I would rather use the pick on an offensive lineman which helps the running game and passing game.

BermyStar

Reaction score
"But he doesn’t have the power for A/B gap runs."

Barkley- 4 broken tackles- 1 broken tackle per 40 attempts.
Zeke- 9 broken tackles- 1 broken tackle per 26 attempts
TP- 7 broken tackles- 1 broken tackle per 18 att.
The assumption that he can't do anything but run fast is lazy analysis that is said of all smaller fast backs... funny how your post has no likes, I suppose facts aren't as much fun.

Good post homie

Reactions: Ken