Tony Pollard's season

superonyx

Reaction score
I don't give a crap who are RB is.
I am not blind. I see the absolute trash run blocking from the offense and realize Barry Sanders, Emmitt, Jim Brown, wouldn't change the fact that we can't run block.

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
I don't give a crap who are RB is.
I am not blind. I see the absolute trash run blocking from the offense and realize Barry Sanders, Emmitt, Jim Brown, wouldn't change the fact that we can't run block.
100% agree.

Pollard is a good RB, and is all this offense needs...and they should really be using him more in the passing game, and less with force-feeding 1st-down running plays. It's a playcalling and run blocking issue, not an upgrade issue.

Having said that, Pollard should have been able to score on that play at the goalline and not be brought down by an arm tackle...but it still doesn't mean that a full upgrade at RB is going to make much difference in most situations with this run blocking scheme.

This is Dak's offense for the foreseeable future...pass to set up the run, and really they should only focus on the run once they're up 2+ scores. Use the short passing game, screens and even some jet sweeps to get more people in space on 1st down...which could be an extension of the running game. McCarthy simply needs to get more creative, especially on 1st down.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
They need to move on from Pollard this offseason.
If Pollard is willing to sign for a lot less, he’s still good for the team in a tandem backfield. But he’s not worth $10M per season. A decent offer of 3 years, $13.5M total is about what I’d offer for him. Or let him go and draft a RB high in the draft.

Top draft priorities for me are Center, RB and Linebacker - in no particular order. Let both Pollard and Biadasz walk after the season unless they sign bargain deals.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
As awful as the running game has seemed at times, TP is only 65 yards short of 1,000 (935) and 10th out of all running backs. McCaffrey leads all backs by a wide margin with 1,459, but TP isn’t that far off from the rest of the top ten and could pass a few of them with one decent game. Derrick Henry, who many were begging the Cowboys to get before the trade deadline, has 1,014. However, Henry does have 11 TDs compared to TP’s 5.
Has his season truly been as bad as everyone thinks it was?
To the casual onlooker here, tha Pollard chap has been almost average.
But those stats are impressive. The O line maybe could have done better. Yeah, that's it, mate.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
If Pollard is willing to sign for a lot less, he’s still good for the team in a tandem backfield. But he’s not worth $10M per season. A decent offer of 3 years, $13.5M total is about what I’d offer for him. Or let him go and draft a RB high in the draft.

Top draft priorities for me are Center, RB and Linebacker - in no particular order. Let both Pollard and Biadasz walk after the season unless they sign bargain deals.
Two things, good lad.
1. We should not waste more money or effort to keep TP.
2. UDPs, FA and the late draft hold a bounty from which to pick a RB.

blueblood70

Reaction score
As awful as the running game has seemed at times, TP is only 65 yards short of 1,000 (935) and 10th out of all running backs. McCaffrey leads all backs by a wide margin with 1,459, but TP isn’t that far off from the rest of the top ten and could pass a few of them with one decent game. Derrick Henry, who many were begging the Cowboys to get before the trade deadline, has 1,014. However, Henry does have 11 TDs compared to TP’s 5.
He's gonna get the same treatment as Ezekiel Elliott I'm gonna make sure this is turnabout is fair play the man makes $10 million and I think just about any of your average mid level running backs for a lot less money could have done with Tony Pollard has done on this team... He's not made any big impactful plays where's all the burst he looks slow he's picking the wrong holes he's not very good in short yardage he doesn't put his pads down I mean why didn't he try to use his speed and run for the pylon on that goal line play before the fumble so yes he's been a disappointment this year no he's not bad he's average he's just your regular average starter now instead of a dynamic change of pace back that's what people expected out of them so they think he's been bad... But you're propping up a man for putting up stats that a very old washed up running back according to this place almost at 900 yards and 12 touchdowns on a bad knee and thigh two years in a row Ezekiel Elliott started out the first eight games of the last two years he was here better than Tony Pollard did this year as the number one back when you look at all the things you have to do Tony Pollard can't be a dynamic number 13 down back and that's what they've been using him as and he's not dynamic at all touchdowns do matter...

So I think all the blowback is coming from Ezekiel Elliott fans who are tired of hearing how washed up he was well that's weird because not only was he washed up he was truly injured I mean he played on a torn PCL in 2021 and 2022 that same me got hit and it's thy got hit on that one played it looked like it would take him out for the rest of the year a very deep bone bruise a very beat up knee and still put up close to the same numbers as Tony Pollard who now you're trying to make excuses for...

Sure Tony's been solid but is that with $10 million is supposed to get from your number one back there are dudes out there like foreman I mean hell DeAndre swift you know he makes like $2,000,000?? There are so many running backs we could have plugged in for half the money that could have done that so in that regard Tony has been a disappointment we paid him $10 million to be the Tony Pollard that we remembered in the middle of last year but mostly what I remember is him finishing the season at 3.8 yards per carry 51 yards per game no touchdowns no burst and two injuries and guess what we got pretty much the same guy that's not starter material. That is something a lot of running back by committee backups would get...

His touchdowns and yards per carry are very disappointing.. Getting 65 yards a game is not dynamic nor is it something we should be proud of and he's gonna be gone next year $10 million was a waste of money for that production given the fact that we could have got a lot of running backs for less money... I mean if you're gonna brag about getting 1000 yards in 17 games that's pretty I don't know what's the word hypocritical because our much underappreciated Ezekiel Elliott when he put up 1600 yards as a rookie has close to 9000 yards for the Dallas Cowboys and what he did in college and back-to-back 1800 yards you don't realize how dynamic Ezekiel Elliott was and how much mileage he had on him and he was injured and still came close to putting up the numbers Tony powers putting up this year and that's after a very long and very good NFL career Tony power can't touch Ezekiel elliott's career not in college not in the pros nothing he's done is special..

He's literally Bing used the wrong way here so nothing against Tony Pollard but he should have never been giving the number one duties it's not just the carries it's the blocking it's the decoys it's being on the field running routes that he may never even get thrown to it wore him out he is not that kind of back...

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He’s gotten better as the season has gone on but still not worth a contract even close to what he made this year. We need to move on. You don’t have to pay big bucks for a running game these days. What you do need is an OL that can knock people backward.

Kellsbells

Reaction score
He's gonna get the same treatment as Ezekiel Elliott I'm gonna make sure this is turnabout is fair play the man makes $10 million and I think just about any of your average mid level running backs for a lot less money could have done with Tony Pollard has done on this team... He's not made any big impactful plays where's all the burst he looks slow he's picking the wrong holes he's not very good in short yardage he doesn't put his pads down I mean why didn't he try to use his speed and run for the pylon on that goal line play before the fumble so yes he's been a disappointment this year no he's not bad he's average he's just your regular average starter now instead of a dynamic change of pace back that's what people expected out of them so they think he's been bad... But you're propping up a man for putting up stats that a very old washed up running back according to this place almost at 900 yards and 12 touchdowns on a bad knee and thigh two years in a row Ezekiel Elliott started out the first eight games of the last two years he was here better than Tony Pollard did this year as the number one back when you look at all the things you have to do Tony Pollard can't be a dynamic number 13 down back and that's what they've been using him as and he's not dynamic at all touchdowns do matter...

So I think all the blowback is coming from Ezekiel Elliott fans who are tired of hearing how washed up he was well that's weird because not only was he washed up he was truly injured I mean he played on a torn PCL in 2021 and 2022 that same me got hit and it's thy got hit on that one played it looked like it would take him out for the rest of the year a very deep bone bruise a very beat up knee and still put up close to the same numbers as Tony Pollard who now you're trying to make excuses for...

Sure Tony's been solid but is that with $10 million is supposed to get from your number one back there are dudes out there like foreman I mean hell DeAndre swift you know he makes like $2,000,000?? There are so many running backs we could have plugged in for half the money that could have done that so in that regard Tony has been a disappointment we paid him $10 million to be the Tony Pollard that we remembered in the middle of last year but mostly what I remember is him finishing the season at 3.8 yards per carry 51 yards per game no touchdowns no burst and two injuries and guess what we got pretty much the same guy that's not starter material. That is something a lot of running back by committee backups would get...

His touchdowns and yards per carry are very disappointing.. Getting 65 yards a game is not dynamic nor is it something we should be proud of and he's gonna be gone next year $10 million was a waste of money for that production given the fact that we could have got a lot of running backs for less money... I mean if you're gonna brag about getting 1000 yards in 17 games that's pretty I don't know what's the word hypocritical because our much underappreciated Ezekiel Elliott when he put up 1600 yards as a rookie has close to 9000 yards for the Dallas Cowboys and what he did in college and back-to-back 1800 yards you don't realize how dynamic Ezekiel Elliott was and how much mileage he had on him and he was injured and still came close to putting up the numbers Tony powers putting up this year and that's after a very long and very good NFL career Tony power can't touch Ezekiel elliott's career not in college not in the pros nothing he's done is special..

He's literally Bing used the wrong way here so nothing against Tony Pollard but he should have never been giving the number one duties it's not just the carries it's the blocking it's the decoys it's being on the field running routes that he may never even get thrown to it wore him out he is not that kind of back...
I wasn’t trying to stand up for or defend TP. I really was just surprised at how pretty much anyone not named Christian McCaffrey had very similar years, and how he is right there with them. I think it says a lot more about what a passing league this has become, and how the game has changed. He definitely doesn’t deserve $10 million a year, when pretty much anyone could give equal production. I’m not sure about using a draft pick on a RB, when we have other needs. But that would get us someone cheap for a few years.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
with 17 games on the schedule, its easier to get to 1000. if it was 16 just like a few years ago. he missed the mark. which makes him an average RB. best to compare average game yards these days.

Kellsbells

Reaction score
with 17 games on the schedule, its easier to get to 1000. if it was 16 just like a few years ago. he missed the mark. which makes him an average RB. best to compare average game yards these days.
Just saying, if it’s so much easier, why aren’t more guys doing it?

blueblood70

Reaction score
I wasn’t trying to stand up for or defend TP. I really was just surprised at how pretty much anyone not named Christian McCaffrey had very similar years, and how he is right there with them. I think it says a lot more about what a passing league this has become, and how the game has changed. He definitely doesn’t deserve $10 million a year, when pretty much anyone could give equal production. I’m not sure about using a draft pick on a RB, when we have other needs. But that would get us someone cheap for a few years.
Similar??I'm sure there are some, but you got a guy like Moesart that has like 21 touchdowns how much money does he make how many touches did he actually get? In my opinion you have to look at how many touches did they get how many yards per carry and touchdowns do they have that's why I'm trying to tell you it's Ezekiel Elliott on one leg totally washed out with probably 700 more carries over his career than Tony Pollard put up similar numbers and was ran outta here....just saying seems like we're making excuses I mean we rip on one guy and we're saying hey this isn't that bad really for $10 million it's pretty bad I think that's the point go look at the top ten players you're talking about who are really close to touches yards per carry and touchdowns as Tony Pollard and look at how much money they make.... Like I said DeAndre swift I realize they traded for him but I think they I don't know gave a fourth rounder for him I can't remember but he only makes like $1.4 million and he put up similar stats Tony makes 10 million he's basically Bing let off the hook even though that was the whole point remember zeke Elliott makes too much money for his production...??
I think Tony Pollard is misused this is not what he was he should have never been used like this and for sure if they were gonna use him like this he should have not got $10 million someone should have offered him like two years 8 million he kept him around as a bridge but made sure we had somebody else like say deonte foreman or some other mid level cheap veteran to come in here and do The Dirty work so that way Tony can be Tony....

blueblood70

Reaction score
Just saying, if it’s so much easier, why aren’t more guys doing it?
For $10 million he's not doing it he's doing what the other guys are doing we're not making anywhere near that kind of money..

rams kid and cook #2 AND #3 UNDER Pechenco, Etienne, and Robinson all on rookie deals swift #4 under 2mil . thats the point a rookie or a mid level vet could do it for a lot less cap hit..
David Montgomery signed a 3 year, $18,000,000 contract with the Detroit Lions, including a $4,500,000 signing bonus, $11,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $6,000,000.

Raheem Mostert signed a 2 year, $5,600,000 contract with the Miami Dolphins, including a $1,300,000 signing bonus, $2,200,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $2,800,000.

So that's ten guys that are above Tony Pollard only two make more money than him and Derrick Henry and Christian McCaffrey the rest of them are either on rookie deals or make a whole lot less for the same production...
So this just proves the theory that most of us already knew you don't pay running backs that kind of money you really don't bring them back for a second contract unless they're truly elite and still have a lot of tread left almost all the guys on that list even the top 15 make less then Tony Pollard and they're all in the same production area or better I mean Jesus look at Raheem Mozart all them touchdowns that alone his contract that's what Tony Pollard should be being paid and he still would be doing less than Mozart and they're truly splitting carries with that rookie aCheney.

Last edited:

Kellsbells

Reaction score
For $10 million he's not doing it he's doing what the other guys are doing we're not making anywhere near that kind of money..

rams kid and cook #2 AND #3 UNDER rookie deals. thats the oint a rookie could do it for alot less cap hit..
I agree with all of that.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He had 1000 yards last year but 5.2 YPC. 4.0 ypc isn't good enough. I do think the run blocking hasn't helped him.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I agree with all of that.
That's why I did more research above look at all those contracts way less than Tony Pollard just as much production if not more I mean it's easy in hindsight because we didn't want to go into the season without an established running back but they probably should have just picked a higher running back or offered Tony power to smaller contract like I say two years $8 million is all I would have paid the guy if this is the way you were gonna use him.....

jblaze2004

Reaction score
Pollard should be in a shared backfield. They needed to get better than Dowdle.
Not with the money Pollard wants to make. You don’t pay a back $10 million a year to play second fiddle to another back. That’s wasteful money but Jerry Jones is use to that.

goshan

Reaction score
Not with the money Pollard wants to make. You don’t pay a back $10 million a year to play second fiddle to another back. That’s wasteful money but Jerry Jones is use to that.
silly comment. virtually all backfields are shared

Kellsbells

Reaction score
That's why I did more research above look at all those contracts way less than Tony Pollard just as much production if not more I mean it's easy in hindsight because we didn't want to go into the season without an established running back but they probably should have just picked a higher running back or offered Tony power to smaller contract like I say two years $8 million is all I would have paid the guy if this is the way you were gonna use him.....
Saquon Barkley is getting 10 million with remarkably similar numbers to TP. I thought last year was a bad year for running backs looking to get paid. I think this off-season will be even worse for them. The problem is, guys sign contracts based on past production, and when they fail to produce at the same level they are no longer worth the money and are cut free.