Tony Romo calls Cowboys’ Dan Quinn ‘No. 1 guy’ for teams looking for new HC

maryquality

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
He's also said that Kellen Moore is in the mix for a HC job.....so there's that. He needs to say this more often than about Dan Quinn!! :D

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
give me Quinn as asst HC and Sean Payton as HC / play caller. Landry did HC / playcaller very successfully and came from a more defensive mind.
I'd be fine with that combination I just don't think Quinn will stay here as assistant

Motorola

Reaction score
I guess in week 3, there isn't enough football to talk about they have to get this crap going again.
That's just how it is with many here at CZ....discourse just about the current team/players or the upcoming opponent isn't enough.
But honestly - it is a legitimate topic. With the conerns on the offense (injured QB, unproven and questionable WR group, Oline changes), the Cowboys defense will have to carry the right now for the team to get wins; if they play well and succeed, the players and coordinator will be lauded.
And to be fair - Quinn was spotlighted during a nationally televised game - thus the article about his possible future on another Cowboys fan website.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
To Romo’s credit, it’s not like Dan Quinn is some well-kept secret. He was the head coach of the Atlanta Falcons for five seasons and after an impressive first year running the Cowboys defense, he got interview requests from six NFL teams for a head coaching job this past offseason. Thankfully, he chose to stay with Dallas in 2022, and the defense is once again helping keep this squad in games that the offense is barely handling.

During the Cowboys’ Week 2 matchup against the Bengals, the CBS broadcast showed footage of Quinn calling plays and Romo said that the DC “should be the No. 1 guy” that teams in need of a head coach look at this offseason.

Romo isn’t wrong, but we certainly hope nobody poaches one of the greatest things to happen to this franchise in many years.

The reality is that Quinn deserves a head coaching job. He took the worst defense in 2020 to the seventh-highest ranked defense in 2021 (in terms of points allowed). His defense lead the league with 34 takeaways last year and tied for the top turnover differential at +14.

https://thelandryhat.com/2022/09/22/cowboys-tony-romo-dan-quinn-head-coach/
I would make him HC rather than losing him this upcoming off season.
He adds more to this team than Mac does in my opinion.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Zoners like this one just love to post controversial bull****.
Romo did say it and most likely its true... I see DQ has his eyes set on Seatle's HC Job.im betting, he knows something most doesn't. so if for some reason hes not our Next HC, hes going to Seattle. his dream and most likely last job.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I’ll be sick if Dan Quinn ends up being our next HC. He’s a terrific DC but not a good HC. He only had two winning seasons in his six seasons in Atlanta and his team coughed up some huge leads. How any team could cough up a 25 point 3rd quarter lead in a Super Bowl is beyond me. His Falcons team coughed up a 20 point lead against us two years ago.

quickccc

Reaction score
As much as I want to see our next HC be offensive minded with his own guys, I would take Quinn over KM any day!

- i'd take Quinn before giving up multiple high draft picks for Payton ...

- Leave it up to Quinn to get his own OC.. as he did with Kyle Shanahan ...

- But i need either one of those aforementioned future HCs to upgrade over Kellen

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
I’ll be sick if Dan Quinn ends up being our next HC. He’s a terrific DC but not a good HC. He only had two winning seasons in his six seasons in Atlanta and his team coughed up some huge leads. How any team could cough up a 25 point 3rd quarter lead in a Super Bowl is beyond me. His Falcons team coughed up a 20 point lead against us two years ago.

People improve. Both Belechick and Caroll sucked their first time as HC and then they improved and went onto huge success.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

- But i need either one of those aforementioned future HCs to upgrade over Kellen
Moore doesn't need to go. He needs oversight.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
People improve. Both Belechick and Caroll sucked their first time as HC and then they improved and went onto huge success.

Belichick improved because he got Tom Brady and Pete Carroll improved because he ended up with a Hall of Fame QB in Russell Wilson. Dan Quinn had a real good QB in Matt Ryan who was a league MVP. He had some great players on those teams including Julio Jones. Quinn is better suited as a coordinator than an HC. Some coordinators are just not cut out to be head coaches.

blueblood70

Reaction score

How about this stay with MM then??
all these lets do not do..not wanting to give up picks for payton ,EVER..no much of an improvement over MM IMHO.

rather have MM or maybe reach for guy like Bienemy, New blood from another team. some progressive new minds and fresh feel. If not, again MM has done well when hes had most of his starers on the field.

100% Not Moore though...

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
Belichick improved because he got Tom Brady and Pete Carroll improved because he ended up with a Hall of Fame QB in Russell Wilson. Dan Quinn had a real good QB in Matt Ryan who was a league MVP. He had some great players on those teams including Julio Jones. Quinn is better suited as a coordinator than an HC. Some coordinators are just not cut out to be head coaches.

You are making assumptions and pigeon holing Quinn. Another team will hire him as HC and would not be surprised he does well.

Now if you want talk about Wade Phillips then that is anothet story. He had mutiple opportunities as HC and proved he is better as a DC.

khiladi

Reaction score
Quinn was horrible in Atlanta and their team regularly blew leads with him as HC. Of course it helps to have Micah and playing scrub QBs in the NFC East on the regular.

what he showed in Dallas ie his ability to adjust, because he’s not running the same defenses he ran in Atlanta and what he inherited in Seattle.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
To Romo’s credit, it’s not like Dan Quinn is some well-kept secret. He was the head coach of the Atlanta Falcons for five seasons and after an impressive first year running the Cowboys defense, he got interview requests from six NFL teams for a head coaching job this past offseason. Thankfully, he chose to stay with Dallas in 2022, and the defense is once again helping keep this squad in games that the offense is barely handling.

During the Cowboys’ Week 2 matchup against the Bengals, the CBS broadcast showed footage of Quinn calling plays and Romo said that the DC “should be the No. 1 guy” that teams in need of a head coach look at this offseason.

Romo isn’t wrong, but we certainly hope nobody poaches one of the greatest things to happen to this franchise in many years.

The reality is that Quinn deserves a head coaching job. He took the worst defense in 2020 to the seventh-highest ranked defense in 2021 (in terms of points allowed). His defense lead the league with 34 takeaways last year and tied for the top turnover differential at +14.

https://thelandryhat.com/2022/09/22/cowboys-tony-romo-dan-quinn-head-coach/

• Quinn has mentioned more than once that his biggest mistake in Atlanta was taking on too much responsibility and not delegating properly.
    • That almost certainly means that if he takes a Head Coaching job, that he is going to hire a D-Coordinator and give him the reins to the defense.
    • I'm not certain that Quinn really wants to do that because he loves coaching defense.
    • He loves actually coaching players; whereas, many D-Coordinators passion is more about the scheme and game plan.
There will definitely be interest by some teams in Quinn as a head coach; however, maybe not as much as you might think.
- Other teams know that there are been many great D-Coordinators that were not great head coaches in the NFL.
- Wade Phillips & Vic Fangio for example.

In the past, Jerry has over-paid some assistant coaches relative to other coaches with the same job.
- 20 years ago he paid OL coach Hudson Houck 2M per year, when most OL coaches were making 200K per year.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Agreed, I wouldn’t give up multiple picks for him either.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
You are making assumptions and pigeon holing Quinn. Another team will hire him as HC and would not be surprised he does well.

Now if you want talk about Wade Phillips then that is anothet story. He had mutiple opportunities as HC and proved he is better as a DC.

Dan Quinn was given every chance to succeed in Atlanta. There’s no excuse for a team that coughs up big leads like his teams did. He’ll get another shot as an HC but unless he ends up with a great QB it probably won’t go much better for him than it did in Atlanta. He certainly wouldn’t succeed with the Cowboys because no HC succeeds under the jughead Joneses. Changing head coaches doesn’t change anything with the Cowboys. Different coach same results!

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
Dan Quinn was given every chance to succeed in Atlanta. There’s no excuse for a team that coughs up big leads like his teams did. He’ll get another shot is an HC but unless he ends up with a great QB it probably won’t go much better for him than it did in Atlanta. He certainly wouldn’t succeed with the Cowboys because no HC succeeds with under the jughead Joneses. Changing head coaches doesn’t change anything with the Cowboys.

Belichick and Caroll were giving plenty of opportunities in their initial HC stops as well. That does not mean anything on how someone can learn and improve going forward.