Tony Romo calls Cowboys’ Dan Quinn ‘No. 1 guy’ for teams looking for new HC

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Belichick and Caroll were giving plenty of opportunities in their initial HC stops as well. That does not mean anything on how someone can learn and improve going forward.

Neither Belichick or Pete Carroll had a QB early on. Belichick had one winning season in Cleveland in five years. He was 5-11 and 0-2 with Drew Bledsoe as his QB in New England. Everything changed for him when Tom Brady became his QB. Since Brady left New England it’s been a struggle for Belichick. Pete Carroll was suffering losing seasons in Seattle until Russell Wilson became his QB. Josh McDaniel was terrible with Denver as an HC. He’s currently 0-2 with the Raiders. Most of the head coaches that had success their second time around as an HC drafted a great QB.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Shut up Tony. We don't need to lose him. The only coach on the team I actually like.

Wolfpack

Reaction score
What’s interesting to me is that DQ turned down some offers last season. More interesting is that he offered to leave if MM didn’t feel comfortable with him here.

That tells you something right there.

J_Allen

Reaction score
He just signed a new contract if I'm not mistaken to stay here. Why would he want to take on all the responsibilities of a head coach when he's better suited to be a defensive coordinator and he's paid almost as much as a head coach? He's also got it made here and the players love him.

Last year we were having this same discussion about Kellen Moore leaving. Is everyone still worried about that now?

tyke1doe

Reaction score
As much as I want to see our next HC be offensive minded with his own guys, I would take Quinn over KM any day!
I trust he would get an offensive coordinator who could call plays to complement his defense - if Jerry lets him. :rolleyes:

Pass2Run

Reaction score
The best head coaches have the best assistants.

Quinn will definitely be a good head coach, but his schtick is defense. So he should go where they have a good defense, and implement one of the best OCs.

Who wants to bet that it'll be Kellen Moore?

He just signed a new contract if I'm not mistaken to stay here. Why would he want to take on all the responsibilities of a head coach when he's better suited to be a defensive coordinator and he's paid almost as much as a head coach? He's also got it made here and the players love him.

Last year we were having this same discussion about Kellen Moore leaving. Is everyone still worried about that now?

You're probably right. I think Micah gets a lot of his maturity from DQ, because that's how DQ really is. That said, I think he would step up and be the coach of the Cowboys.

He has the confidence of the FO and fans.

Last edited:

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
I believe Quinn is waiting for the Seattle job to open up. Seems like everything is setting up for this to be Carroll's last season and then they will clean house

Bagman

Reaction score
One thing I don't understand is.....aren't the Eagles the darlings of the NFL ? Only 3-0 team. Best roster. Unbeatable.Blah, blah, blah. Why aren't THEIR coordinators the hot commodities ? Shouldn't every NFL team be preparing to raid THEIR coaching staff ? All I ever hear is how disfunctional and awful the entire Cowboys organization is. Then...WTH....leave the staff alone.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
I believe Quinn is waiting for the Seattle job to open up. Seems like everything is setting up for this to be Carroll's last season and then they will clean house

That would be my guess as well. Pete is 71 and the team seems to be rebuilding. A team with Geno Smith as your starting QB is in trouble. Trade away whatever good talent remains for picks. Good time for bringing in a new coaching staff.