Tony Romo: Gambling has made the NFL "less pure."

shabazz

Reaction score
Didn't take long for this to veer wildly off-topic, but I don't at all understand the vaguely misogynistic negative obsession with Taylor Swift. So, she's on TV for a total of about thirty seconds during a three-hour game? (Jack Nicholson & Spike Lee used to get about ten seconds at Lakers games, and nobody complained.) Big deal...who cares? Time to bring out the Barbie doll and have her victims point to what part she is hurting.
Wow, these Swifties really run hot and start labeling others when their girl is mentioned.

Misogynistic, really?

Nice to see how "tolerant" you think you are.

lkelly

Reaction score
Didn't take long for this to veer wildly off-topic, but I don't at all understand the vaguely misogynistic negative obsession with Taylor Swift. So, she's on TV for a total of about thirty seconds during a three-hour game? (Jack Nicholson & Spike Lee used to get about ten seconds at Lakers games, and nobody complained.) Big deal...who cares? Time to bring out the Barbie doll and have her victims point to what part she is hurting.
I think most of the victims may share the same anatomy (or lack thereof) as Ken.

Mark

Reaction score
Wow, these Swifties really run hot and start labeling others when their girl is mentioned.

Misogynistic, really?

Nice to see how "tolerant" you think you are.
Tolerant of what?

I couldn't name one Taylor Swift song if the Star Chamber placed my life upon it. Yet think all the derision & hate aimed at a non-combatant woman is a little weird. And stupid.

So, back to Tony & his take on NFL gambling...

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Tolerant of what?

I couldn't name one Taylor Swift song if the Star Chamber placed my life upon it. Yet think all the derision & hate aimed at a non-combatant woman is a little weird. And stupid.

So, back to Tony & his take on NFL gambling...
I mean you still fit the profile of what the poster you quoted mentioned. Real quick with the discrediting names when you don’t know what folks do or don’t want on tv. How do you know they don’t want to see Jack on their tv every game? You don’t but to be “right” just say that about everybody and that’s why the poster said what he said about you even if it isn’t true because that’s how you came off at least in this thread.

Mark

Reaction score
That same gambling has been happening forever, its just not the mob making all the money
The NFL figured that out, evidently.

Making it "respectable" - and putting it online (for all to play) was a financial stroke of genius for the League. While, simultaneously, not necessarily inspiring public confidence in the integrity of the underlying "sporting event."

MarcusRock

Reaction score
First, he looks skinny. ;)

Second, I don't think he meant his comment the way people are taking it. I don't think he's saying gambling is making the league corrupt. Rather, he's saying it's making the game.more about money than fandom. I say that, because he changed his approach to commentating out of worry that what he says could cause the people who trust his judgement to lose money.

He can't just give his opinion to inform and educate fans, because if he isn't exactly correct, and fans bet accordingly, he'll consider it his fault.

That's how I see his comments.
That's exactly what his comments are but people stand at the ready to yell "rigged" nowadays hence the article title to reel in the paranoid.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
Maybe the next war can be waged on gambling.

Since drugs and the “other thing” proved to be such resounding successes.

‘Murica.

Let people live their lives. If they want to gamble, so be it.

khiladi

Reaction score
NFL is greedy.

Gambling destroys lives.
There are already issues of sports betting and addiction, particular with young folks. It’s gross. It like football acting like domestic violence is a priority for them, while being sponsored by alcohol, the number one cause of domestic violence and violent crime.

https://dailycitizen.focusonthefamily.com/online-sports-betting-hooking-young-men-on-gambling-research-suggests/#:~:text=In the face of targeted,t be normalized among children!

Calls to gambling addiction hotlines increased by as much as 425% in some states after legalizing sports betting, Newsweek reports.

Some experts additionally claim state hotlines are fielding more calls from or about children. Others claim more people in their teens and twenties are attending Gamblers Anonymous meetings, according to Vice.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
How does the nfl partner with vegas, and not influence outcome of games?
What is in it for vegas if it doesnt help them make more $????
Why would the nfl do it if it doesnt help them make more $????

The only way to make more $ is to influence outcome of games !!!
( not just who wins, but high scoring or low scoring,over under. point spread, etc) Also can be what teams reach SB.
Results would be influenced by what vegas needs to make the most money, which is based on how people bet.

It isnt rocket science.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Is Romo insinuating that the refs are in on the gambling racket? Is he saying the game is rigged?
Absolutely no doubt that the gambling tentacles have reach into NFL corp management. The commercials alone...nfl fantasy channel has morphed into the sports book bets with over and under, tethered bets etc., not just fantasy.

The more people involved in the NFL/gambling merger...and it's still growing, the more the "odds" are that corruption on both sides will grow with it, just human nature we'll call it.

We've seen it already, just not everyone wants to believe it, including me.

Sucks because it was undoubtedly my favorite sport to play growing up and that continued as a fan watching.

Now it's entertainment not a sport. When it changed I'm not exactly sure, but I'm willing to bet the start of the new commissioner's reign either started it or greatly excelerated it.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score

( not just who wins, but high scoring or low scoring,over under. point spread, etc) Also can be what teams reach SB.
Results would be influenced by what vegas needs to make the most money, which is based on how people bet.

It isnt rocket science.
Agree 100%!

Big_D

Reaction score
It’s not just the NFL. You can bet on everything from golf to nascar and I’m sure when the Olympics roll around you can bet that too. These gambling apps have taken over. I will say they are much better and lighter on the pocket than betting through a bookie back in the day. I completely replaced fantasy football with weekly bets and it’s a million times better.

erod

Reaction score
The NFL used to distance from it because it was morally conflicting and threatened the integrity of the game. Sure, they knew about it, but they didn't endorse it.

Now, they encourage it to the highest degree. Any interest is fine. Integrity means nothing.

Such is the state of the world. There are no morals in anything anymore. Nobody cares in the least.

MarcusRock

Reaction score

It isnt rocket science.
Or they can just take the ad money from them. Lol.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
I was told that was a conspiracy theory
LOL, yes we have heard the same. it is really common sense to believe that this much mind boggling stakes in gambling has some sway how the games progress , they have some officials in their pockets.

I think we should follow the bettings and see , when Vegas has to pay out significantly because of an upset. There will be only a few.