Tony Romo: Gambling has made the NFL "less pure."

Deep_South

Reaction score
LOL, yes we have heard the same. it is really common sense to believe that this much mind boggling stakes in gambling has some sway how the games progress , they have some officials in their pockets.

I think we should follow the bettings and see , when Vegas has to pay out significantly because of an upset. There will be only a few.
The goal of the point spread is to get equal amounts of money placed on both teams, so the house always wins. They've had a lot of practice at it over the years.

wssaustin

Reaction score
This is why I like Tony. You turn on sports radio now, some bookies spend hours teaching audiences how to "invest"...
Gambling is the cancer to society, the same as drugs.

LonnieElam

Reaction score
ill tell you what has made the NFL less pure - Taylor Swift.
I'll be going to a SB party on Sunday. What I will NOT be doing is actually watching the SB (just like last year). Even the commercials are lame, as every trope has been used to death.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
“Gambling interest” in deference to NFL football have existed for over 100 years, without any input from the League. Better to be directly involved than to find your league adversely affected by gambling interests in which you have no involvement.
Totally disagree with you on that KC

erod

Reaction score
The NFL just wants a cut in the action. I think they know the league as we knew it is circling the legal drain, so best squeeze for every last penny now.

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
Didn't take long for this to veer wildly off-topic, but I don't at all understand the vaguely misogynistic negative obsession with Taylor Swift. So, she's on TV for a total of about thirty seconds during a three-hour game? (Jack Nicholson & Spike Lee used to get about ten seconds at Lakers games, and nobody complained.) Big deal...who cares? Time to bring out the Barbie doll and have her victims point to what part she is hurting.
It bothers me when they pan in on Jerry Jones and his yes men during the games. Taylor Swift doesn't warrant being shown either. But whatever...

DuncanIso

Reaction score
NFL is promoting a service that creates a chemical response in people that win.

Some people become addicted to that chemical response.

Praxit

Reaction score
....well, history is right on track for repeating itself in some form.

As we move into the future its obvious where the country's mentality is headed.

The more we can acquire, the more it believes its some form of sustainment.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Most people I know no longer have a team that they loyally follow. Their rooting interests pretty much lie solely with the individual players and teams they are have money on any given Sunday. Those of us on this site are outliers being that we generally care just for the sake of loving our team.

I am all for people being allowed to do what they want, and that includes legal gambling, but it doesn't mean I don't have reservations about how pro sports has evolved in the era of legal online gambling. It is to the point where half of the sports media content being made today is directly targeting the gambling audience and most people I know blow hundreds of dollars on bets every week.

The NFL really isn't what it once was and it is just another American institution completely captured by the dollar and the pursuit of squeezing every last cent out of consumers, regardless of how unscrupulous the methods used in that pursuit are.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
This is why I like Tony. You turn on sports radio now, some bookies spend hours teaching audiences how to "invest"...
Gambling is the cancer to society, the same as drugs.
Sports is a drug lol. Most stuff we like are drugs we can’t quit.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Totally disagree with you on that KC
The advent of state lotteries made state laws against gambling hypocritical. The fact that people wagered on sporting events anyway paved the way for states to sanction it. Of course, the states take their cut. The leagues that provide the sporting events were not going to sit by and not “get theirs”. I’ve discovered a way to avoid the gambling aspect of the NFL. I simply don’t bet on the games.