News: Tony Romo has talked to Jerry Jones, is cool with drafting a QB

willia451

Reaction score
If somebody paid me $106 mil, I'd be fine with just about anything they did too.

You know. Not everybody is going to get in the Hall of Fame. That's just a fact.

CCBoy

Reaction score
(Cassell, Weeden)...Even the best games those players had were marked by turnovers or missed throws in key situations that played a role in the team's loss. Kyle Orton was the last quality backup quarterback the Cowboys had, and they paid handsomely for his services for the two years he was with the team in 2012 and 2013.

"We have to sit back and evaluate what happened this year," Garrett said, "and we'll spend the next couple of weeks doing that with each of the players who had an opportunity to play with us."

In a perfect world, Garrett said he'd like to pair a veteran backup with a young player being groomed as an eventual replacement or starter as the No.3 quarterback.

Kellen Moore, who passed for 435 yards with three touchdowns and two interceptions Sunday in the Cowboys' 34-23 loss to Washington, seems like a perfect candidate to be the No. 3 quarterback.

He certainly has flaws, but the game doesn't seem too big for him. In the right situation, there's a role for him...

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas-cowb...tt-must-get-backup-qb-situation-right-in-2016

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Because it's lame as hell. As if Romo has any say in who they draft.

Well Romo gave his blessing to Escobar and TWill picks, so he might have some say. I certainly don't think Jerry is going to draft a QB without pondering what Romo would think about it.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Well Romo gave his blessing to Escobar and TWill picks, so he might have some say. I certainly don't think Jerry is going to draft a QB without pondering what Romo would think about it.

He's on the doorstep of retired. Football is a business. His opinion on the matter is irrelevent.

TDHND

Reaction score
Gotta do it sooner or later. It appears to be sooner rather than later.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think some are taking Romo comments out of context. Romo has always been supportive of QB brought in but in this case if Dallas drafts a QB as the future of the team I think it bodes well that the new guy comes into a situation where he is welcomed by the current starting QB and it is important that Romo helps in the development of this QB.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I didn't take it like that. I just took it like the media asked him what he thought and he said 'no problem.' It's not like he was asked for his permission or expected to be asked for his blessing.

Romo knows the deal. He's not going to last forever and the only way you last around this league is if you're better than your competition. And if you're not, you don't deserve to be playing.

YR

Exactly.

But you have idiots here who took it the other way because...well...they're idiots.

It was crystal clear that this was nothing more than Romo saying he wasn't worried about it and that he understands that at some point you have to address life after he's done playing. But of course people who like to make a big deal out of nothing have to try and make it like Romo has to give permission for something.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
He's on the doorstep of retired. Football is a business. His opinion on the matter is irrelevent.

Keep telling yourself that. That may be how you would do the business of football. I have seen the way Jerry operates.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
Exactly.

But you have idiots here who took it the other way because...well...they're idiots.

It was crystal clear that this was nothing more than Romo saying he wasn't worried about it and that he understands that at some point you have to address life after he's done playing. But of course people who like to make a big deal out of nothing have to try and make it like Romo has to give permission for something.

I agree for the most part. Romo gets asked the question and he answers.

And before I say this, I like Romo, I think he is one of the best All-Time great QBs the Cowboys have ever had. I have enjoyed watching him play..I am glad they signed him, etc etc etc.

But , and this is just a fleeting thought or feeling I get from time to time. Romo has become bigger then the Cowboys. And I think he likes it that way. When he was hurt he would stand, right by Garret, a lot. Like he was the HC or something. I see other QBs who get injured offer advice during the game on the sidelines, but Romo did it in a way, that made me think......why is he contantly in that discussion? It should be the head coach and QB. Romo should be away from those talks, unless he really really sees something that he can offer, and even then, it should be out the way. Nope, Romo is right there, standing like a quasi HC or soemthing.....It struck me as odd. I didnt think it was helping the Cowboys, more like helping Romo get experience as a Coach....maybe even adevrtsiing thats what he wants to do....I dunno.....in the end, he is a stand up guy, one of the best QBs Cowboys have ever had. And everybody knows it. I also think there have been other things out of his control that have prevented him from being successful in the playoffs.....but thats all subjective opinion....could be argued until the Cows come home. And there is nothing more I want to see then Romo\Witten winning a SB.

But the fact remains. He , as the leader of this franchise, has failed at winning in the post season. and failed at getting the franchise to the post season on a regular basis......Franchise QBs are exepected to do that. They get paid to do that. Romo has not done that.

punchnjudy

Reaction score
“We’re going to evaluate everybody and the organization is going to look at who to take and they’re going to take the best player,” Romo said.

The way that's worded, it sounds like Tony will be evaluating prospects.