Tony Romo is the next Joe Montana

zeromaster

Reaction score
Why is it that people are so quick to want to crown a player the next "fill-in-the-blank"?

This is exactly what the media does week-in, week-out. And we get all worked up about it.

Tony's had a great start. I think he's got a long future as the Dallas QB. But let's just enjoy it ok? There's not that much benefit to being the one that said "I predicted ...".

Not that it's your intent; but it comes off sounding close.

Let the flames begin...

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
He does seem to be calm in pressure situations, but I'm not sure it's to the same extent as Montana. I certainly hope he has the same success with the Cowboys as Montana had with the Whiners.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I just want to see Romo make a big name for himself. He does not need to be the next Montana or Staubach.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
sacowboysfan513;1252668 said:
Tony Romo is the first Tony Romo.
This is correct. He's so different from other QBs it's hard to compare. He doesn't have a single consistent throwing motion so you can't compare that. He has elusiveness, but isn't quite a scrambler, and his story is really unique.

I don't really see a need to compare, because his story is great as it stands by itself.

The guy willed himself into being a high level quarterback.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I will say this, since Romo took over he has lead Dallas to 4 4th qrt come from behind wins and had it not been for the blocked FG against the skins it would have been 5 4th qrt comebacks.

DipChit

Reaction score
theogt;1252672 said:
He doesn't have a single consistent throwing motion so you can't compare that. He has elusiveness, but isn't quite a scrambler....

For me in an overall kinda way he still reminds me of Favre for better or worse.

But in a more specific kinda way, for the very reasons you mention there.

Throws from all sorts of angles as necessary and it's not like Favre qualified as a scrambler either.. not in an Elway sort of way anyhow. Elways rushed for twice as many yards as Favre has.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
If Romo played for the Lions or the Texans, we would not even know his name..;)

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
DipChit;1252681 said:
For me in an overall kinda way he still reminds me of Favre for better or worse.

But in a more specific kinda way, for the very reasons you mention there.

Throws from all sorts of angles as necessary and it's not like Favre qualified as a scrambler either.. not in an Elway sort of way anyhow. Elways rushed for twice as many yards as Favre has.
Yeah, but the difference is that Romo has a streak of a gunslinger in him. Usually he's smart enough to hide it. Favre, at least over the past 4+ years, is a gunslinger 100% of the time.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
ELDudearino;1252683 said:

Maybe. Lions have some good weapons as does the Texans.

superpunk

Reaction score

Bull. I know Dan Orlovsky's name. :D

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

I don't know that I would agree with that but essetially, I agree with you. If he played for somebody else, he probably wouldn't have made the Pro Bowl and the second coming of Joe Montana, at this stage of his career, would be laughed off the stage. Rightly so IMO.

DipChit

Reaction score
theogt;1252684 said:
Yeah, but the difference is that Romo has a streak of a gunslinger in him. Usually he's smart enough to hide it. Favre, at least over the past 4+ years, is a gunslinger 100% of the time.

Well at least if it has anything to do with number of years played in the league it wont happen to Romo. Romo started too late in life to get more than 11 years in. ;)

Plus for all we know Romo would have a lot more of that in him even now if he was playing for a team with a chumpy receiving corp compared to the one we have. Pressing too hard to make something happen when nobody has a step.