Tony Romo is the next Joe Montana

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I'm thrilled with him, but ummmmm....no, he's not the next Montana.

rcaldw

Reaction score
He has started 8 games, played in 0 playoff games, played in 0 Super Bowls, won 0 playoff games, won 0 Super Bowls.

Montana - 4 Super Bowl Championships
Bradshaw - 4 Super Bowl Championships
Aikman - 3 Super Bowl Championships
Brady - 3 Super Bowl Championships

Danny White did more than Tony Romo has done so far.

Man, we need to get a grip on reality. There are TONS of QB's who have had a good stretch of games, even a good 2 or 3 SEASONS, who weren't Joe Montana status.

How about Kurt Warner? Was he Joe Montana? Kurt Warner was an MVP and won a Super Bowl, and now everyone sees that he was NEVER "all that".

So lets wait on Romo. When he has won 2 Super Bowls, just speaking for me, I will then begin to have a discussion about his merits vs. Roger's or Troy's or anyone else in the Hall of Fame.

rcaldw

Reaction score
bbgun;1252950 said:
Let's hope he becomes Danny White first. Then we'll aim for bigger things.

Wow, talk about being on the same page.

burmafrd

Reaction score
I think he is ALREADY better then Bradshaw ever was. Bradshaw just happened to be in exactly the right place at the right time and went along for the ride.

burmafrd

Reaction score
The knock on Danny was that he could not come up with the big play at the most crucial moment of the biggest games. That is what separates him from Montana, Roger, etc. Danny White was Don Merideth mark 2.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
bbgun;1252950 said:
Let's hope he becomes Danny White first. Then we'll aim for bigger things.

Over 16 games in 1983, White averaged 248 yards and 1.81 TD per game. Both are Cowboys records.

In 8.5 games, Romo's averaging 287 yards and 1.88 TD per game.

CowboyMike

Stay Thirsty, My Friends
Reaction score
Tom Brady is the next Joe Montana.

Tony Romo is the next Roger Staubach.

Seriously.

Think about it.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Wow.

I thought these discussions were only allowed after a green QB takes his team through a scoring drive on the last play of the game and then wins a big game like the Super Bowl.

Romo first has to do that before I even entertain the question.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
percyhoward;1253082 said:
Over 16 games in 1983, White averaged 248 yards and 1.81 TD per game. Both are Cowboys records.

In 8.5 games, Romo's averaging 287 yards and 1.88 TD per game.

Why are you cherry picking one year? I'm talking about White's whole career. He took us to several championship games and went to several Pro Bowls. He might even own some team passing records. Time to tap on the brakes.

CowboyMike

Stay Thirsty, My Friends
Reaction score
bbgun;1253111 said:
Why are you cherry picking one year? I'm talking about White's whole career. He took us to several championship games and went to several Pro Bowls. He might even own some team passing records. Time to tap on the brakes.

Correction: I'm pretty sure Danny White owns mostly all the team passing records.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
bbgun;1253111 said:
Don't worry. I wouldn't try to say Romo has even begun to accomplish what White did...

But it is interesting (to me, anyway) that some all-time passing records are going to fall this season. Danny White aside, that is a very, very good sign.

CowboyMike

Stay Thirsty, My Friends
Reaction score
Danny White's Team Records:

Passing Attempts in a Season: Danny White, 533
Passing Completions in a Season: Danny White, 334
Passing Yards in a Season: Danny White, 3980
Passing TDs in a Season: Danny White, 29

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
rcaldw;1252949 said:
He has started 8 games, played in 0 playoff games, played in 0 Super Bowls, won 0 playoff games, won 0 Super Bowls.

Montana - 4 Super Bowl Championships
Bradshaw - 4 Super Bowl Championships
Aikman - 3 Super Bowl Championships
Brady - 3 Super Bowl Championships

Danny White did more than Tony Romo has done so far.

Man, we need to get a grip on reality. There are TONS of QB's who have had a good stretch of games, even a good 2 or 3 SEASONS, who weren't Joe Montana status.

How about Kurt Warner? Was he Joe Montana? Kurt Warner was an MVP and won a Super Bowl, and now everyone sees that he was NEVER "all that".

So lets wait on Romo. When he has won 2 Super Bowls, just speaking for me, I will then begin to have a discussion about his merits vs. Roger's or Troy's or anyone else in the Hall of Fame.

the steady stream of bums, has-beens, and never-wases since aikman - has left cowboys fans used to diminished expectations. and now that we have a QB exhibiting signs of more than just a pulse... some are so shocked by our good fortune that they are giddily ready to proclaim him the "next (insert name of legend of preference here)."

tony needs to win a few more games to be mentioned in the same breath with the greats.

i think most fans are grounded enough that any comparison they are making merely refer to the "style" of late greats.

but i can't deny i appreciate the "quarterback stylings" of antonio ramiro romo. so far - they guy plays "the big room" like he was born to headline there.