News: Tony Romo on early broadcasting work: 'It was so boring.'

DFWJC

Reaction score
Romo need a change of scenery like Stafford. He needed to go to a defense filled team. Would have made championship games/Super bowl.
He was FOR SURE a Super Bowl QB later in his career if healthy and on the right team.
But those are two big IFs

It was what it was.

Acheman08

Reaction score
Well, I was a Romo defender when he played so I did give him credit but I also saw the warts.

From a purely broadcast perspective, and I spent 25 years in that, he is terrible. He's off the mic and still mumbles and has drop off in his voice with little projection.

I don't know if they've even worked with him but if the viewer has to turn up the volume to hear him over the ambient noise, he needs work on mic presence and projecting.

That's what surprised fans about Aikman when he did so well when he went into broadcasting because his natural voice and projection were not what he used to cut through. He learned voice animation and projection to help create energy. Just look at the difference when Aikman is interviewed and when he's doing his color gig. Romo is the same in both and it's boring but that's just my opinion but the only one I really care about on this subject because it is purely subjective.

I like Romo as a person and I liked him as the QB, but I didn't overlook the mistakes he made but I did understand most of them because he was trying to carry the team.
I always thought that too. I like Romo for sure but, IMO he isnt the greatest ever that alot of people make him out to be. I like Aikman better to be honest. And I would kill to have Pat and John back in there! =)

DFWJC

Reaction score
Not sure how many here have seen the movie "Good Morning, Vietnam"

The straight-laced, polka listening, do-it-by-the-book radio guy (who could not stand Robin William's non-standard approach) reminds me of some of the critics here of Romo (the announcer)
:muttley:

This guy
GoodMorningVietnam_Rolex.jpg

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
Tony Romo on early broadcasting work: 'It was so boring...this guy needs to stop doing this right now'

Screen-Shot-2021-09-12-at-12.43.47-PM.png

Tony Romo stopped by the SI Media Podcast to discuss his early broadcasting work, which made him say "I am the worst announcer ever. I am so boring."

Tony Romo went from NFL quarterback to NFL announcing wunderkind pretty quickly in 2019. His seemingly prescient ability to predict plays right before they happened made him an immediate star for CBS and his continued ability to wow viewers made him an extremely hot commodity when his contract was up soon after (in spite of the detractors). It was no surprise when CBS re-signed him and made Romo the highest-paid TV analyst in early 2020.

All of which is to say that Romo might have made it look very easy to get where he is today. However, during a recent appearance on the SI Media Podcast with Jimmy Traina, Romo admitted that his early broadcasting work left a whole lot to be desired.

Read Full Story
It was so boring or I was so boring? Make up your mind, completely different points

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It was so boring or I was so boring? Make up your mind, completely different points
You have to read the article. He was referring to his early practice work.

“I’ll give CBS credit, [chairman] Sean [McManus] and [president] David [Berson] got together and they came up with a plan. Jim Nantz and [director] Jim Rickoff came down and we did all these practice games, and I sounded like Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, the teacher. ‘Bueller, Buller.’ ”

Romo didn’t mince words when it came to what he thought of that early work, which he deemed “so boring.”

“I watched myself. It was so boring, Jimmy. You would’ve been like, ‘This guy needs to stop doing this right now.’ That was the start of me listening to myself.

Praxit

Reaction score
. Plus he has a horrible broadcast voice and has still not learned how to project.

...CC, I think that falls in the category of natural resonance. Voices that have space, nuance, timber, power etc. Depend on natural resonance (space). Sounding board.

Tony like many others speak with throaty projection. They chew the words and sounds, in return fall into ear strain. All treble, no bass. Gruden was chalk shrieking, ..ewww the worst.

Older broadcasters, catered better voice projection. But that came with different phonetic generation. ..;)