Recommended Tony Romo's 3 Interceptions

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
Romo indicated himself that he peeked at Harris from the corner of his eye but had predetermined the pass to Witten and he literally forced the ball into a covered Witten hence the pick.

Even Patrick Willis was shocked Romo actually threw the ball essentially right to him on that play.

The pattern is predetermined decisions without actually seeing the field or following his progressions.

This is not good for a seasoned QB at this point of his career.

Kaiser

Reaction score
I am very disappointed in Romo after this game because of his choices to throw into coverage. I don't know whether it was the rust, his expectations on the PA fakes, adjustments to the play-calls/reads expected in this new system, but this was a truly horrid performance by a QB who doesn't have very many of them.

It was a horrible game by Romo and his performance cost us the game, without question. I have to think some of it was being rusty but that isn't to excuse the performance.

One thing about the two of the picks is the philosophy Romo is employing. As a general approach you can throw the ball to Dez in double coverage and if he doesn't catch it he will at least knock it down and prevent the INT 19 times out of 20. On these plays Romo threw one pick into triple coverage rather than double coverage and on the deep route pick, Dez was interfered with or he would have been able to knock the ball the away. Its not to excuse the performance of Romo but its a factor and a philosophy that he needs to stop falling back on when he is in trouble.

CCBoy

Reaction score
First, great stuff, Bluestang. You're probably on to something, but whatever the solution, he can't be missing on his keys just because it's play action. That first pick to Dez for example, he should be keying off that S before he lets go of the ball after the PA is sold. That's just a blown read. Maybe they were making a point of getting Dez involved early (I bet they were). Maybe that's a play that works in practice playing against our Ss. Whatever the cause, it's a ball I'm sure he's dying he can't have back. At that point in the game, too, the 14 point swing when we had already coughed up the defensive score was a back breaker.

Rich brought up that a QB in double coverage plays, has to observe separation from the corner, and then deliver on sight, before the safety reacts.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rich brought up that a QB in double coverage plays, has to observe separation from the corner, and then deliver on sight, before the safety reacts.

Aikman, at least, thought Romo was supposed to be keying off the strong safety there. I find it hard to believe he's not reading the coverage with they way those two downfield routes were structured.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Aikman, at least, thought Romo was supposed to be keying off the strong safety there. I find it hard to believe he's not reading the coverage with they way those two downfield routes were structured.

That's still the two step process described...for success. Troy was on, as to arrival of the ball that was floating in upon the safety's arrival.

links18

Reaction score
Romo was the worst QB in the league yesterday. He had another ball that should have been intercepted. Horrible. And we're stuck with him for a long time.

We aren't stuck with him if he can't physically play anymore. We are stuck with Brandon Weeden.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Outside of his highscool football mistakes I thought he looked absolutely terrible physically.

His feet looked slower than ever and he couldn't put any zip on his passes.

It's time to start finding his replacement and get ahead of this thing before he falls off.

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
Romo was the worst QB in the league yesterday. He had another ball that should have been intercepted. Horrible. And we're stuck with him for a long time.

I agree, I am not here to defend him today other than to say he wasn't right. It just wasn't the same QB we've seen. I was stunned to see the ball end up into triple coverage, it's like I wasn't trusting my eyes. He needs to play his arm and his body into game shape. I don't know when that will be.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
I think this is a good analysis, but I want to caution against the overanalysis. I think the interceptions were 100% mental mistakes, the bad throws I can't say if they were physical or not because he actually did throw decent passes, just not all the time.

My biggest issue with Romo is and always has been his reliance on the presnap read. He is very good at it most of the time, but sometimes he burns himself because he convinces himself that he knows what the defense will do and ignores what is happening post snap.

I think he will play much better as far as decision making is concerned next week. Whether his accuracy improves remains to be seen.

Tejano15

Reaction score
For me, I'm stripping things down even further.

The fundamental issue regarding this team's playcalling and the utter and complete lack of patience when it comes to the running game.

Point your finger in whoever's direction you prefer, as I don't care to argue who's doing what, only that it is being done.

But this team just does not have the patience to consistently use its' running game, no matter how well it may be working.

Fans have long complained about it and some have staunchly and stubbornly defended it, but I think at this point, there is no longer any denying it.

Opponents do not have to worry about stopping the Dallas running game, at some point or another, we will do it for them.

The bigger fundamental issue is not the play calling it is the teams execution especially from the QB position. Play action passes around the end zone, Peyton, Brady, and Brees make those plays by executing and seeing the field and just maybe they to audible out of running plays but execute so there is no one calling them out. In the 90's every defense knew to stop Emmitt or the slant to Irvin. It didn't happen because the players on the field did their jobs.

You can blame the play calling but I know of a few times we have heard that Romo has changed the play at the LOS, he is to blame and that is where the HC has to take those privileges away from the player if he does not know how to use them properly or can executed to his audible. Parcells used to say that Romo's gunslinger mentality was not always a good thing and yesterday we saw throws in double coverages, missing wide open WR, and not sticking to the game plan in short yardage.

I am not a Romo hater nor a Romo defender, or do I think our play calling is the best. Yesterdays game came down to QB play and turnovers. I believe our WR get frustrated from being open and the ball going to another direction which in turns causes the WR to not always run their routes to the best of their ability. That is one thing I saw from the Broncos WR last night they all ran like the ball was coming their way and that is how our group needs to play.

Need some Cowboys leaders to lock the door and get on some peoples butts, this team is not very strong from a talent perspective on D, but O has fire power and execution is critical to win ball games.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The bigger fundamental issue is not the play calling it is the teams execution especially from the QB position. Play action passes around the end zone, Peyton, Brady, and Brees make those plays by executing and seeing the field and just maybe they to audible out of running plays but execute so there is no one calling them out. In the 90's every defense knew to stop Emmitt or the slant to Irvin. It didn't happen because the players on the field did their jobs.

You can blame the play calling but I know of a few times we have heard that Romo has changed the play at the LOS, he is to blame and that is where the HC has to take those privileges away from the player if he does not know how to use them properly or can executed to his audible. Parcells used to say that Romo's gunslinger mentality was not always a good thing and yesterday we saw throws in double coverages, missing wide open WR, and not sticking to the game plan in short yardage.

Agreed. That's why I'm not interested in arguing who called it /changed it. Doesn't matter. All that matters is that it has to stop.

I am not a Romo hater nor a Romo defender, or do I think our play calling is the best. Yesterdays game came down to QB play and turnovers. I believe our WR get frustrated from being open and the ball going to another direction which in turns causes the WR to not always run their routes to the best of their ability. That is one thing I saw from the Broncos WR last night they all ran like the ball was coming their way and that is how our group needs to play.

I didn't see a single example of where I would blame any of those interceptions on the receivers.

Need some Cowboys leaders to lock the door and get on some peoples butts, this team is not very strong from a talent perspective on D, but O has fire power and execution is critical to win ball games.

I'd have a heart to heart with that quarterback and reiterate to him just how badly and bush-league his play was. And if he's audibling into these plays, that option needs to be taken away until he earns it back.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
There is validity in expecting more in the view of a pretty sophisticated analysis presented...but not when concepts then executed on the level that was shown yesterday. Plain and simply, this team does not possess the sophistication to execute on the levels that are needed to present such views validly.

If the 49'ers weren't as injured, as they were for yesterday's game, Dallas wouldn't have been as able to get at least running game successes from that game.

Behind, Tony Romo threw plenty of deep balls, and completed one late one, to Harris. And San Francisco had injury problems, even in it's secondary yesterday.

It looked bad for an Exhibition game level of play, much less, to start a season with.

Your points are good ones. We played what we would consider a depleted defense if those players were missing from our team.
What little success we did have wasn't truly representative of our team but how injured/suspended the niners are.
All I took from this game is Romo is having serious issues. The rest has yet to be determined.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
This is the reason why I've always been a fan of bootlegs on playaction plays, especially with a guy like Romo who can move a little bit. It gives the QB more time to see what's in front of him.

Romo is not moving that good, definitely not throwing well when he is moving...
Until he is fit enough to do those , he has to play pocket QB

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score

I don't think we are. If yesterday was any indication as to the rest of his career, he will walk away.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Your points are good ones. We played what we would consider a depleted defense if those players were missing from our team.
What little success we did have wasn't truly representative of our team but how injured/suspended the niners are.
All I took from this game is Romo is having serious issues. The rest has yet to be determined.

Thank you, Sir...for some good discussion.

VACowboy

Reaction score
Good stuff, Blue.

I agree with you, but I think the bad reads on PA passes was due mostly to not having practiced or played this offseason. He may not have seen Williams right away on play one, but he knew where Williams was going to be. That play was designed to create a big hitter. Williams was wide open and probably Romo's first read. It would have taken a pretty good throw, but that play was set up perfectly. Play two was a gimme touchdown. Harris was immediately wide open. Maybe Romo didn't trust himself to make that throw, as you suggest, but if that's the case, I don't understand the lob to Witten with seventeen red shirts around him. Actually, I think Tony was possibly throwing the ball away and just didn't get enough on it.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
It was a horrible game by Romo and his performance cost us the game, without question. I have to think some of it was being rusty but that isn't to excuse the performance.

One thing about the two of the picks is the philosophy Romo is employing. As a general approach you can throw the ball to Dez in double coverage and if he doesn't catch it he will at least knock it down and prevent the INT 19 times out of 20. On these plays Romo threw one pick into triple coverage rather than double coverage and on the deep route pick, Dez was interfered with or he would have been able to knock the ball the away. Its not to excuse the performance of Romo but its a factor and a philosophy that he needs to stop falling back on when he is in trouble.

I do think the double-coverage pick was Romo trying to give Dez a chance to win the jump ball, but as Dez said, he had trouble getting his footing (which was caused by the DB jostling him). I didn't mind that interception as much as the other two. If Romo is going to throw a few jump balls to Dez, then we're going to have to live with the fact that Bryant will lose a few for a variety of reasons.

On the throw into triple-coverage, it appears that Romo didn't see the safety, and I absolutely don't know what he was thinking on the end-zone throw.