Tony will be here even more when he's gone

Angus

Reaction score
You are splitting hairs. I never said Meredith was the first starting Cowboys QB, only that that I've been watching the Cowboys play since then. It was 1960 Week 7 and the Cowboys played the Rams and Don Meredith was the starting QB.
I was 27 years old in 1960. How old were you?

Dodger12

Reaction score
I was 27 years old in 1960. How old were you?

Holy smokes.....you're 84 years old? If you're serious, God Bless, although I can't fathom you'd think Romo was the best QB in this franchise's history having watched Staubach and even Aikman.

Angus

Reaction score
Holy smokes.....you're 84 years old? If you're serious, God Bless, although I can't fathom you'd think Romo was the best QB in this franchise's history having watched Staubach and even Aikman.

That's right. I saw them all, and I met Staubach before he was the starter. He was great and so was Aikman, but I think Romo has been a better quarterback than either of them. Romo has never had the teams they had for support.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
That's right. I saw them all, and I met Staubach before he was the starter. He was great and so was Aikman, but I think Romo has been a better quarterback than either of them. Romo has never had the teams they had for support.
Without Romo we would have had a few years that we could have had much better draft positioning. Thank you TR for 8-8 so many times. So go ahead and continue to cheer the man that made us mediocre and thereby screwed us from some great drafted talent. We got Zeke because Romo finally stayed off the field long enough to get the 4th over-all pick.

Angus

Reaction score
Without Romo we would have had a few years that we could have had much better draft positioning. Thank you TR for 8-8 so many times. So go ahead and continue to cheer the man that made us mediocre and thereby screwed us from some great drafted talent. We got Zeke because Romo finally stayed off the field long enough to get the 4th over-all pick.

You're right. Without Romo Dallas could have been just like Cleveland lately.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Based on individual position, Martin, EE, Fred and Tyron are all much better at their positions than Romo is at QB.

I never liked the 'better player' talk when going over a cross section of positions because some positions are more important than others. A better than average QB has a far larger impact than a great SAM linebacker. But is the player actually 'better' or they just happen to play a position that is more important.

Finally, I can't reconcile Tony being better than Dak. He's never had a QBR in a single season as high as Dak. And outside of 2014, Romo has never really come close. Romo's age and injury history also would indicate a downward trend in performance while Dak's age would indicate a likely upward trend in performance.

Tony's a bright guy, a very good (but not great) QB and is very charismatic. We should have had much more success with him and that's largely due to organizational and coaching errors. But some of it is also Tony's doing and the fact is he's not had the career and abilities that Brady, Peyton, Brees, Rodgers and even Roethlisberger has had.

YR

rambo2

Reaction score
I agree with you.